any body have a good recipe for smoked fish

Hey Yellow Dog,

I've marinated some salmon in a brown sugar and soy sauce marinade that turned out pretty good... grilled it though.

I've tried to message you about the scope- but the messages are stuck in the outbox. I wrote a little post on the scopes thread- thought I'd try this way to get a hold of you as well. Is your settings set to receive private messages? Anyway, if you still want the scope, send me an email at jkling1928@gmail.com and ill give you my cell phone #.

Thanks!

Pack the fish with about an inch of brown sugar and smoke it with Mesquite. You can add chile powder or I prefer Jalapenos ground and packed under the brown sugar.

I recently had to change my recipe and ended up using maple syrup and coarse salt in a 4:1 ratio. I let it sit for two days in a ziploc bag in our fridge turning the bag a couple of times a day. It tastes much better than the traditional brown sugar method I used earlier. Not spicy like was asked in the original post but we like it quite a bit.

I have been using the same brine recipe for several years now. It always turns out good. Johnny’s season salt, soy, and terriaki mixed with brown sugar. After brining at least 24 hours I lay it skin side down and sprinkle with McCormik spicy steak seasoning and then smoke. Turns out very well.

I’ll get you the exact recipe when I get home and can look it up.

here is my standard recipe

2 cups Johnny’s season salt
3 cups brown sugar
2 cups soy
2 cups terriayki (kikoman)
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tblsp Garlic pepper
1/4 cup honey
1 gallon warm water

Mix ingredients in a 3 gallon plastic bucket with lid. Cut fish into pieces roughly 4” square, soak in brine 12-24 hours in the fridge. Remove fish from brine and allow to dry on rack for at least one hour. While they are still tacky to the touch sprinkle with your choice of seasoning, I like McCormik spicy steak, but lemon pepper and Tony’s cajun are also good. You can also place nacho style jalepino slices on the meat at this time. Smoke for 1.25-1.5 hours at 160 degrees until cooked through but still moist. Remove from smoker and vacuum seal while they are still warm. The sooner you get them in the vac bag the better as I like my smoked salmon to be moist and the longer its out from the smoker the dryer it will become.

Another good recipe is to cut fish into strips roughly .75” wide, dry pack with 6-1 or even 8-1 brown suger to canning salt. Leave a couple hours and repack with dry cure, cure for 24-48 hours. remove from brine andl eave out to dry for 15-20 minutes, and place in smoker while still sticky, smoke with lots of smoke for 15-20 minutes and remove from smoker and put into food dehydrator, dry until firm to the touch.

gerry":3492v3zp said:
I recently had to change my recipe and ended up using maple syrup and coarse salt in a 4:1 ratio. I let it sit for two days in a ziploc bag in our fridge turning the bag a couple of times a day. It tastes much better than the traditional brown sugar method I used earlier. Not spicy like was asked in the original post but we like it quite a bit.

I should also add we use this same recipe for our smoked canned fish the only difference is we only smoke it for about 1 hour to give it some flavor and the can it in a pressure canner just like normal raw fish. The fish is still completely raw when we can it. Any fish can work for this but we usually use Chum salmon for this and it tastes great mixed with a bit of mayonnaise, put on bread and toasted it is a wonderful quick meal. Works great with crackers as well if you go to a function as an appetizer.

gerry your recipe sound delicious :mrgreen: mind you all the recipes sound very good :wink:. We don't catch salmon much around these parts :shock:!!

Blessings
Dan

Motivated me to put 5 reds in the brine today!
1c026d6da83666e377c8032981879d2e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tb-78, I have not had breakfast yet and just thing about smoked salmon has got the old stomach growling :wink:.
gerry a can or two of fresh salmon for lunch time sandwiches sounds like a good idea :wink:.
What do you think DrMike 8)??

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":36eutsbb said:
Tb-78, I have not had breakfast yet and just thing about smoked salmon has got the old stomach growling :wink:.
gerry a can or two of fresh salmon for lunch time sandwiches sounds like a good idea :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

Smoked salmon with cream cheese on crackers? A delectable repast.

sask boy":1rdajdgt said:

Blessings,
Dan

Good idea Dan, I'll put it on the list..........

I'm going hiking around 2:00 but should be home for when you phone, if not you know what I am doing :)

Back