.280 Remington's Chili Recipe

.280 Remington

Handloader
Jan 17, 2012
As requested............

Most all of the spices I use I order online from http://www.mildbills.com in Tx. They are very consistent. The others are usually found in the "Mexican" isle at the grocery store. I've used/tweaked this recipe over the last 8 years in chili competitions, and I've qualified for the world championships in Terlinga, TX twice(this year included) Ask questions if needed. And please don't come down to NE and kick my butt with my recipe! Thanks!

Oh, and if you are a bean guy, and you soak them over night, I would add them as you start the boiling process. Otherwise they will not get done. In the past to make my chili "go further" at the competitions, I've just added "chili beans in sauce" to my recipe so I can feed more people. Add liquid(broth or beer) as needed to adjust for increased solids.

Another thing...........if you make it too "runny" make a roux out of flour/butter and add in small increments, this will thicken the sauce/gravy without changing the taste if you've cooked down the flour. I have also added "maseca"(corn flour) as well to give a thicker consistency and a little flavor.

ONE more thing.........I make this version a little hotter than I would at home. Judges only taste small portions at a time, so I want a little extra heat. This might be a bit on the toasty side for the "whole bowl" dinner type chili!

Marine Mike’s “Fire for Effect” Chili

• 5lbs of coarsely ground beef(Chili Grind)
• 2lbs ground pork
• 3lb lean chuck roast(small cubes)
• 4 Jalapenos sliced into “circles” (seeds stay)
• 3 8oz. cans of “El Pato” tomato sauce
• 2 15oz. cans of beef broth
• 1 15oz. can chicken broth
• 16oz. Light beer

Mix the following spices for dump 1
• 3 Tbsp onion powder
• 2 Tbsp garlic powder
• 2 Tbsp beef granules
• 1 Tbsp chicken granules
• 3 Tbsp paprika
• 3 Tbsp Mexene Chili Powder
• 1 ½ tsp cayenne
• 1 tsp black pepper
• 3 packages Sazon Goya

Mix the following spices for dump 2
• 3 Tbsp of Mexene Chili Powder
• 3 Tbsp of Hatch Mild Chili Powder
• 3 Tbsp of Gebharts Chili Powder
• 3 Tbsp of Cowtown Light Chili Powder
• 3 Tbsp of Stockyard Chili Powder
• 1 Tbsp cumin
• ¾ tsp white pepper

Mix the following spices for dump 3
• 1 Tbsp onion powder
• 1 Tbsp garlic salt
• ¾ tsp Cayenne Pepper
• 1 tsp Cowtown Light Chili Powder
• 1 tsp Stockyard Chili Powder
• 2 Tbsp cumin

1. Grey meat in batches(I start with chuck cubes and jalapenos), drain grease
2. Slow boil meat in broth and beer
3. Add dump 1 and simmer on medium for 60 minutes
4. Add dump 2 and simmer on low for 45 minutes
5. Add dump 3 and simmer on low for 15 minutes
6. With 5 minutes left, taste and adjust for heat

I'll be printing this off and trying it for the first football game. Good stuff.

Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Sounds delightful. Whoda' thunk that good chili could come out of Nebraska! :grin:

It looks like you have the recipe down to a science. I will be writing down the ingredients and giving it a try :wink:!! Thank you very much.

PS. I might try it with Moose burger :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":2s1ivi9g said:
It looks like you have the recipe down to a science. I will be writing down the ingredients and giving it a try :wink:!! Thank you very much.

PS. I might try it with Moose burger :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Dan I've made this with various meats, to include leftover smoked brisket. It's fantastic either way. I just have to use smaller chunks in the "competition" chili. The science aspect of it is needed, don't want your meat to completely fall apart in a comp. Plus, this may be a little hotter than your normal at home chili, the judges only get a little taste of each one, not a whole bowl. A whole bowl might light you up.................forgot that little disclaimer....... :shock:

By all means, try it with anything you like!

.280 Remington":lthn50k3 said:
DrMike":lthn50k3 said:
Sounds delightful. Whoda' thunk that good chili could come out of Nebraska! :grin:

Hey now!

Got a brother who is a Corn Husker (lived there many, many years after leaving Kansas). There is a fair amount of good natured ribbing goes on between us. I tend toward Tex-Mex in my cooking, he tends more toward Upper Mid-west cooking. It makes it interesting when we do get together.

One question, why light beer? Wouldn't it be interesting with a stout? (See the British influence over me in more recent years.)

It's all flavor Mike, stout can overpower some folks with the malty flavor. I myself would like it, but I have to cater to the judges. In the end, it's all about them getting the flavor profile that they like. Now at home, I'll throw about any beer in there that I have laying around. Could be an amber, IPA, pale ale, lager, ect.........

Gotcha! I use stout in my smoked beans. It goes very well there. Not a beer drinker, but in cooking it does lend a distinctive flavour.

I'm pretty sure that Shiner Bock is the only proper beer to cook in chili or beans.

If you dump a bottle of Shiner Bock in a pot of beans or chili, you better not drive after dinner. (y)

You had to do something with the other 5.

I'm pretty sure that Shiner Bock is the only proper beer to cook in chili or beans.

There's a man with taste.
Can't hurt anything with Shiner Bock.

DrMike":1yy8y4k2 said:
Gotcha! I use stout in my smoked beans. It goes very well there. Not a beer drinker, but in cooking it does lend a distinctive flavour.

my family used to make smoked beans, wish I had that recipe. would it be to much to ask you to post yours

Back