Salmon Chowder

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
My wife caught a nice coho this morning and I just made this chowder which turned out quite nice. I modified it a bit because of some restrictions in my diet and took out the corn and potatoes replacing them with squash instead.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/salmon_chowder/

I filleted the fish out and then simmered the bones for a few hours let it cool and then stripped the meat off and returned it to the chowder at the end. Thought our friends here at the forum in the PNW, Alaska and B.C. might like to give it a try.

A good chowder is always a delight. Salmon can only make it that much better.

DrMike":tpokigs6 said:
A good chowder is always a delight. Salmon can only make it that much better.

Well said, it just tastes great and warms you up inside..........

I don't know, that recipe looks a little fishy to me. :grin: I like chowder and I really love squash. Might have to give that a try. I'm on a low carb diet too.

Gerry, I really do like calm chowder if it is a little spicy. Your receipe sounds delicious :).
Thank you for posting!!

Blessings,
Dan

I love Salmon chowder and Clam Chowder. I can't believe how tasty and hardy they are! They fill you up and warm you up all at the same time.

I prefer salmon as chowder versus any other mode of preparation. Salmon patties and smoked salmon are delicious but given the choice I will take the chowder every time!

Dale

I dunno, Dale, fresh salmon on the grill is very hard to beat! :grin: You may just throw rocks at the chowder if you sample planked salmon on the beach or salmon on the grill. (y)

Going to bump this up considering salmon fishing is in full swing now.

Just made it again today, my mother in law asked for it for her birthday celebration lunch so it was easy to do for her. Having made it a bunch of times since last year simmering the bones for a few hours, draining the liquid through a sieve and saving for the broth, then stripping off the meat after it cools is extra work but the chowder is much better tasting than just putting canned salmon in. I would think cutting up a fresh fillet would be great too. I would expect almost any kind of fish would be good if there are no salmon in your area.

gerry, just letting you know ahead of time that Nettie and I are quite fond of Clam Chowder and I can not see why Salmon would not be as good or even better :wink:.
Maybe when we get up to Terrace in a couple of weeks that might be a recipe that we are going to have to try with all the Salmon that we will be landing :lol:.

Blessings,
Dan

Back