Fresh From The Garden

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
Last year I built a raised garden for the wife and we had good success with it though we got it in late for my location. This year I got the peas in early and they flourished. I planted two rows 30' long and we have already had one meal off them and the wife went out this evening after dinner and picked a 5 gallon bucket almost full.
Before everyone jumps on my bad back the deal with my wife was I would build it work the ground and plant it she was to pick the fruits of my labor. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• KIMG0229.jpeg
    KIMG0229.jpeg
    258.9 KB · Views: 2,142
Always a joy to have fresh veggies from your own garden. Good looking pail of peas, Rodger.

Rodger those look delicious :wink:. We just got our garden in approximately 2 weeks ago and it will be another 2 to 3 weeks before we get a feed from our pea patch.
Peas & Green Beans are my favourite from the garden :mrgreen:.
Thanks for sharing (y).

PS. It looks from the inside of that pail that you are in for a couple of more good feeds.

Blessings,
Dan

We won't be getting a garden in this year but the fruits of your labor look delicious.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i just finished shelling the peas and I got 2 one gallon freezer bags full and there are more to pick.

Dan the string beans and lima beans are breaking threw the ground and should be baring fruit in July. All we need is some rain to get them going good.

Thanks DrMike and Vince for your comments. I have already had one meal off the peas and expect a few more before they are done next week. Then I'll plant some sweet corn in their place and should have that by September.

I have a 500sq/ft organic garden that I've been working for years. I get hundreds of pounds of fully decomposted chicken/pig/cow manure from a local farm. That is the only thing that goes into the ground other than the seeds & seedlings. This time of year I enjoy the snap peas more then anything. I just eat them whole right off the plant.
As the season progresses, the garden produces far more vegetables than my wife and I could ever use. My kids, neighbors and co-workers all enjoy the fruits of my labor. :)

Charlie; When I had my own truck and dump trailer I use to haul chicken litter to farms in up state NY just for organic farmers. My daughter raises chickens and uses the litter on her garden and it will really produce a lot of veggies. So far I haven't used anything on mine since the top soil I put in the garden came out of cattle feed lot so it was very rich with composted cow manure and this fall I will get some horse manure compost and put on it to decompose over the winter and then I will work it in the ground next spring before I plant.
A well kept garden will over produce with an abundance of veggies for all and it doesn't take a large piece of ground to make a good garden.
If you can get it Turkey litter will really make things pop out of the ground since it is very high in nitrogen.

I have used decomposted horse manure which is readily available and occasionally the chicken/pig/cow combined decomposted manure. They have a few giant white geese on the farm but not a turkey in sight. :)

Broccoli and string beans are in now. Everything is taking off. The wife fried up a bunch of zucchini flowers today. If you haven't had them, you don't know what you are missing.

Anybody needs horse, pig, or chicken poop it's free for the taking here.

Vince

Vince":3405riii said:
Anybody needs horse, pig, or chicken poop it's free for the taking here.

Vince

Do you ship? :roll: :lol: :roll: :lol:

Back