Canning Tomatoes

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
It's a lot of hard work but the end results are very rewarding.
You can also do the same thing with meat to save space in the freezer or as our ancestors did because they didn't have the luxury of owning a freezer or smoke house.
Place tomatoes in jars after they are blanched and peeled add a table spoon of salt for preservative, seal with lids and place in cooker with boiling water.
It takes 45 minutes in the cooker for canning tomatoes and 12 minutes for the juice. The cooking process seals the jars.
Canning meat is very similar but you need to follow the directions in the Ball Blue book for canning.
I also have several pressure cookers that my mother and grandmother used but need new lid seals and gauges.

Attachments

• KIMG0252.jpeg
    KIMG0252.jpeg
    262.7 KB · Views: 1,136
  • KIMG0255.jpeg
    KIMG0255.jpeg
    280.4 KB · Views: 1,136
  • KIMG0253.jpeg
    KIMG0253.jpeg
    231 KB · Views: 1,136
  • KIMG0254.jpeg
    KIMG0254.jpeg
    217.5 KB · Views: 1,136
To give you more of an idea what it takes for the whole process for making juice and getting the tomatoes ready for canning here's some more pictures.

Attachments

• KIMG0257.jpeg
    KIMG0257.jpeg
    224.9 KB · Views: 1,133
  • KIMG0258.jpeg
    KIMG0258.jpeg
    230.6 KB · Views: 1,133
  • KIMG0260.jpeg
    KIMG0260.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 1,133
looking good , you'll be ready for winter . all you need is a deer or two .

Thanks Jim, I'm looking to work with a fellow on a crop damage permit this year so if that happens I'll be set.
I created this post for some of the Guys to see what it was like growing up back in the day and living out of the garden before we had Sams Clubs, Super Walmarts and Costcos to buy bulk food from. We also had our own small Orchard and canned fruit also. :mrgreen:

Our garden should just start to pick up (y). We love the canned veggies during the winter months it always seems that your own taste better :mrgreen:!
Thank you Rodger for the post!!

Blessings,
Dan

Your welcome Dan. We use commercial tomato juice for cooking and save the home made juice for drinking. But yes home grown and home canned veggies always taste better since there is no chemicals involved in the canning or freezing process except a little salt for preservative.

Well the canning is winding down just one more cold packer and it's done I hope.
With the remnants of this years harvest the wife made a very big pot of Beef vegetable soup which we ate from last night and for lunch today and what was left over was placed into canning jars and canned for a cold winters day. :mrgreen:

Two last pictures and I'm done with this.
Cheyenne the one on the Sunflower Lazy Susan is for you :grin:

Attachments

• KIMG0252(1).jpeg
    KIMG0252(1).jpeg
    254.2 KB · Views: 1,105
  • KIMG0251.jpeg
    KIMG0251.jpeg
    227.8 KB · Views: 1,105
It all looks quite delicious, Rodger. The fruits of your summer will no doubt bless you throughout the coming year.

Thanks DrMike,
The wife is tired and has a sore finger from a cut with a dull knife which I had to sharpen to save her fingers :shock: but thank God it wasn't serious but I bandaged it and put a wrap of Gorilla tape on it to keep the bandage dry :roll: but other than that all went well. :mrgreen:

Back