Oysters on the half shell

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
One of the things I like about winter here in Maryland is the abundance of fresh sea food.
Does anyone else like them raw?
I have some pictures but the file is too big to post here.
I had 4-5 dozen for dinner Friday along with a couple dozen steamed and fried. There was also Oyster gumbo that was delicious. :mrgreen:

No oyster bars around here such as we had along the Gulf Coast. I used to stop in for oysters on the half-shell with an uncle when I lived in Morgan City, Louisiana in the early 70s. Delightful repast at the end of a challenging day.

DrMike I also like to buy them by the case and shuck my own. I learned to shuck Oysters at a young age when my father would bring them home from the Bay after a day of fishing and they would come fresh off a commercial boat. We would build a fire in a fire barrel and place an old metal table top on it soak a clean throw rug in water and wrap Oysters in it to steam I would shuck and eat some while we were waiting for the Oysters to steam open.

Still gives me nightmares. 40 years ago I attended the wedding of a college wrestling teammate. Took a young lady named Lori.
Might have been that the National championship tournament had just concluded and we were all weak from months of cutting weight, but a bunch of us became very ill. Projectile vomiting ill. Had to have been the oysters, couldn't have been the Jack Daniel's.
My truck ended up parked in a farmers field, Lori driving. Deputy gave her a ride home, left me in the back of the truck.
Never saw her again, never ate oysters again never drank jack again.
Damn oysters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salmonchaser":311uj6vy said:
Still gives me nightmares. 40 years ago I attended the wedding of a college wrestling teammate. Took a young lady named Lori.
Might have been that the National championship tournament had just concluded and we were all weak from months of cutting weight, but a bunch of us became very ill. Projectile vomiting ill. Had to have been the oysters, couldn't have been the Jack Daniel's.
My truck ended up parked in a farmers field, Lori driving. Deputy gave her a ride home, left me in the back of the truck.
Never saw her again, never ate oysters again never drank jack again.
Damn oysters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup! I can see oysters doing that. For sure there have been those times when anticipated good times evaporated after a fine repast and liquid refreshment. I understand why you don't like oysters.

My wife once decided to surprise me with a crab dinner. She knew I loved crab cakes. When I came home from work, she had everything prepared. Delightful repast. Soon after eating, I began to heave. Had no idea so much could be stored away in my gullet. Then, vile smelling effulgence began emanating from the other end. Surely I didn't eat that. It was one of the rougher nights of my early marriage.

I asked my wife about the crab--were they fresh? were they lively? "Oh," she explained, "the nice captain helped me pick out all those that were already dead."

Married just a couple of years and she tried to poison me. I still eat crab when I can get it, but I'll do my own cooking on these arachnids.

Once you get sick when eating sea food it's hard to eat it again due to the violent reaction it has on you.
One thing my Dad always said was Oysters and hard liquor doesn't mix Beer is OK but not whiskey.
DrMike having also had food poison from spoiled sea food I know what you went thru. My experience put me in the Hospital for 3 days and was cause by spoiled Lobster that was in a dish I ate in a restaurant in PA, the dish was laced with Cyan pepper and hide the spoiled Lobster. Now anything with Cyan pepper in it makes me sick, I have to ask if the food is seasoned with it before I order a spicy dish.
Most people think they are suppose to swallow Oysters whole and really miss the sweet delicate flavor and never taste the bad one that makes them sick. If you don't bite and chew your missing out on the real flavor of the Oyster and the bigger the tastier they are and I don't need horse radish or hot sauce too help get they down though I do like them with cocktail sauce.

The Sheraton hotel called " The Pearl" had this all you can eat brunch on Father's Day and cost 30 bucks a person. So I take my whole family and there are chefs that cooks the biggest omelettes I have ever seen, my wife and girls started with that while I was on the opposite side of the room piling up about a dozen oysters on the half shell on my plate. They were the biggest oysters i have ever seen as well. An elderly couple next to me in line picking food off the bar was giving me the dirty stern look followed by a smh from the lady while I piled the 12th oyster on the plate. LOL, I said to her " It's why they call it All you can eat". After I was done, went back for a dozen more followed by a 3rd plate of raw oysters before with Tabasco / Ketchup and crackers I decided to eat other side dishes downed with a few glasses of champagne. Geez, we got to go back again soon.

Yeah they tend to do that but I hate wearing my self out going back to the Buffet to get more. They had these small plates at the Oysters so I grabbed a dinner plate which was larger and stacked it full I was going to ask for a serving tray but my wife said please don't embarrass me.
Harrison's Crab house on Kent Island on the eastern shore of the Chesapeake bay is where I go for prime time Oysters and have a all you can eat Oyster buffet every Friday between 5-9pm from the first of Oct too April and I try to go at least once a month.

Back