PA Dutch Sweet Bologna

tddeangelo

Handloader
May 18, 2011
Got a smoker last year after Christmas, and have been experimenting with it as time permits.

Today, I ran a batch of sweet bologna. Some pics along the way....

3B419A88-9C5E-43E0-8D6C-D2503468BCFF_zpsiqvf3bwm.jpg

Here's the mix going in the fridge to cure. It's 10 (ish) pounds of ground venison approx. 2.25lbs of ground pork. The venison went just over 10lbs, so the total was real close to 12.5lbs, or an 80/20 split of venison to pork.

The recipe was a pre-made one from a local Mennonite shop, mixed by hand with the meat, along with 1/2 oz pink salt. I mixed it till I got consistent color and consistency. Then I let it sit a few hours and check the color/consistency to be sure I didn't leave spots unmixed.

I definitely see a mixer powered by my grinder motor as something I'll be acquiring in the future!

After curing over night, I stuffed the muslin bags I got at the same shop (by hand)

Here's the bags just after stuffing...

144A7E5C-A673-4D5E-BC16-102B2CE258D7_zps6vzybcwp.jpg

I have one nearly full and one not full at all. Should have evened it out, as shorter bags fit a bit better in my MES 30 smoker, but it is what it is.

Into the smoker around 6:45AM---

44BF66D6-2BEA-4677-9977-174A588DD830_zpsuh31bryc.jpg

I started at about 120-130 for smoker temp, then inched the temp up throughout the day. Finished up about 10-11 hrs later at 250 on the smoker temp and 152 internally.

Put it through a cold water bath...

97153229-E04E-4A48-A2CC-E1D826FA21C2_zpsbcwr5oxq.jpg

....and then...

Finished!

1FE6D389-5A4E-4762-A46B-7B040754E2D8_zpsvigmli7p.jpg

862B888F-8A65-403F-A22B-F855E89FD0E4_zpsb4cctlxr.jpg

Flavor is good...met with appropriate acceptance from the kiddo's in the house, that's for sure! :)

That really looks good, Tom. I haven't tried making any sausage/bologna in my smoker. A report such as this could be just the stimulus I need to get me moving. Sure looks as if it would be a hit with the family.

DrMike,

So far everything I've made in the smoker has been a hit with the family. I need to get the stuff over my winter break (have off till Jan 2) to make some ring bologna too (another PA Dutch thing).

I really should be running my smoker a lot this time year and get my stuff for the year all made up so I can vacuum seal and freeze it and be stocked for the year.

I've got a lot on my "need to try" list yet. Dried beef (made of venison) is high on that list, too. I love cream chipped beef (SOS) over home fries or toast on a cold morning.

I should have gotten a smoker years ago.

I do use both my smoker and the Traeger grill on about a weekly basis. I will be smoking a turkey today along with a pork tenderloin. I've been brining the turkey for a day. Family coming over this afternoon, and Pa's smoked turkey has always been a hit.

I smoked a turkey at Thanskgiving and everyone loved it.

Definitely going to do that again!

Does it taste like Kutztown, Weavers or Baums sweet bologna? I prefer Weavers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have had sweet bologna from all of those and Stony Point Farm market Also known as Mell's out side of Littlestown. I have a 5lb stick in the fridge waiting to be cut.
I like them all.

whit":2mtke9qw said:
Does it taste like Kutztown, Weavers or Baums sweet bologna? I prefer Weavers.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Haven't bought from a store in a good long while, so I'm not entirely sure. I've had a local Mennonite butcher make it for me till now.

I got the seasoning mix from a store near Fleetwood PA, which would probably trend toward Weaver's.

Man Tom that sure looks delicious (y). My Son smoked a turkey for our Christmas Eve meal & it was a hit.
I bought a wood chip grill after having a smoked steak supper while hunting Moose with DrMike & gerry :mrgreen:.
There has not been a meal that we didn't enjoy off the grill (y).

Blessings,
Dan

That bologna looks pretty good. Never made it, might have to make it a priority.

If you like snack sticks you'll like that bologna.

Just mix pork with it. It needs it.

Back