Sunday Dinner

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
The wife decided to fix something simple from her youth and a favorite of mine.
Slippery Chicken pot pie along with some home made bread and butter pickles.
My Mom use to make Slippery pot pie out of any type of meat broth but mostly what I brought home like gray squirrel, pigeons,doves, quail, rabbits and anything else she thought would work. We had a big family to feed and this would go a long way and wasn't expensive to fix.

Attachments

• KIMG0297 (3).jpg
    KIMG0297 (3).jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,123
  • KIMG0298 (4).jpg
    KIMG0298 (4).jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,123
So, your recipe? Give us some insight. Can't say that I have ever eaten slippery pot pie... well, not knowingly, in any case.

DrMike":3bpk5db2 said:
So, your recipe? Give us some insight. Can't say that I have ever eaten slippery pot pie... well, not knowingly, in any case.
It's basically made from scratch but 2 peeled diced potatoes fresh celery sliced thin or celery seed onion chopped and chopped carrot if you like but not necessary cover with water. Depending on the size of meal you plan to fix 1-2 large chicken quarters salt and pepper to taste. Cook chicken with celery, onion and potatoes till chicken falls off the bone or easily pulled off remove chicken from pan and debone chicken, place deboned chicken back in pan. Next you mix up some flour and crisco just like you would make pie dough. roll out the dough till its pie crust thin and cut into squares or strips about 2x3" and place in pan with the chicken and potatoes cook til dough is done. Some people add egg to the dough and it is then called Amish slippery pot pie. It's basically chicken soup with dough added to fill you up but thicker since the flour from the dough thickens the broth. We also do this with country cured ham or smoke pork shanks but add dried Lima beans with out the potatoes. If you can get Doves or Pigeons they also make a very flavorful pot pie.
It's a poor man's meal that will stick to your ribs and warm your belly on a cold winter day.
Fire company's fix it here and have big dinners also churches have Chicken Pot Pie and Ham and bean pot pie meals here. The rich and famous flock to them because it's old country home cooking :grin:

Truly home cooking. Comfort food, par excellent. That could just happen here at some point soon. The "slippery" part threw me.

Yeah words will fool ya DrMike and the simple foods are a pleasure to fix and eat.
The younger people today have no idea what it is to cook easy simple food and want to complicate everything. I must have 2 dozen cook books from Churches and Granges on different Home cooked foods and most are basically the same except for some of the ingredients and spices.
My wife is the original fast food cook and can through together a complete meal in 1/2hr that you wait forever in a restaurant for.

DrMike, Rodger I have too agree with you 100% best meals always come from cooking from scratch.
Using what we harvest just makes it a little tastier (y).
That looks like a great meal to me Rodger.
Thanks for sharing :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":3kiquhtv said:
DrMike, Rodger I have too agree with you 100% best meals always come from cooking from scratch.
Using what we harvest just makes it a little tastier (y).
That looks like a great meal to me Rodger.
Thanks for sharing :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan
Any time Dan.
In our house though we have cook books they are just to give us an idea for the ingredients but I would say 90% of the meals prepared are from scratch with no written receipt, a pinch of this and a little of that and you have dinner.
I use to hunt and fish for sustenance when I was young and supporting a family and now do it for pleasure.

Sounds like my cooking, Rodger. Two millihubbies of this; one megasmooze of that; etc.

I have had the pleasure of dining with DrMike (y) sampling his home cooked meals (y) he definitely knows his way around the kitchen :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Back