Elk backstrap steak & roasted veggies

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Used the oven to roast the veggies: red bell pepper, onion, carrot, and of course the small potatoes.

Cooked the backstrap steaks and the crimini mushrooms in a skillet on the stovetop, seasoned only with black pepper and garlic. YUM!

That was dinner last night. (y)

And that'll do for anybody! Excellent table fare, prepared just right. Beautiful presentation, Guy. No doubt, a delightful meal.

Are you sure you don't take pictures for food magazines? :roll: :wink: (y)
Man that looks good.

Guy you are a bit of a tease :wink: !! I just finished toast with peanut butter and then looked at that feast :shock:.

Blessings,
Dan

:lol: Don't tempt me!! too late, on my way to my freezer to pull out a pack of frozen deer steaks for tomorrow night.

Looks good there Guy.

Looks mighty tasty!

Our moose steaks for dinner the other night were pretty darned tasty too. Was a quick fix dinner with mixed veggies (broccoli mix plus sweet potatoe fries).

Elk steaks rubbed with olive oil, garlic, cumin and ground pepper done in the oven with deep fried taters,fried onions and mushrooms and a side of peas. Home made chocolate cake with butter icing for afters.

Best way I cooked the deer steaks without it being too dry and tough like jerky was to oven broil ( top burner ) the steaks about 6 inches from the heat on High ( 525 -550 degrees ) for 5- 7 minutes and flip over, additional 5-7 mins and its ready. Seals the juices better and more tender. Should work for any game steaks that is 3/4 inches thick or less.

REDGREEN":3us16sjv said:
Elk steaks rubbed with olive oil, garlic, cumin and ground pepper done in the oven with deep fried taters,fried onions and mushrooms and a side of peas. Home made chocolate cake with butter icing for afters.

I like the way you roll RG! That sounds great.

Guy that looks great.

Great looking meal Guy! You all need to try some chicken fried steaks like this now. I assure you that it will be wonderful! I've put this out there before, but for those who haven't seen it...

Put some milk and eggs in a glass or plastic bowl. Not metal as it will impart a taste on the meat. Mix up the eggs and milk. Put your thawed wild game steaks - does not matter if it's moose, elk, deer, antelope, etc. they all turn out great - in the milk/egg mixture and make sure it covers the meat. Put some plastic wrap or something over the bowl and put into the fridge overnight. If you don't have time a couple hours works also.

Warm a pan with butter and some pure olive oil in it at about medium temperature or slightly higher. Crush a tube of Ritz Crackers in the tube then put them onto a large plate or bowl. Take your steaks one at a time out of the milk/egg and thoroughly coat both sides with the cracker crumbs. Put in the pan and cook until the cracker crumb starts to turn a golden brown ever so slightly. Turn and do the other side. Try and get them medium rare in the middle and if you do it like this it's a pretty good bet they'll be just a bit pink in the middle. Salt and pepper and put on your plate with all the fixings Guy has us drooling over and you will love it.

They stay moist and juicy and taste amazing. I think the milk/egg mixture also helps make them a bit more tender. If there was a real wild game taste, this also does a great job of taking that away. If you want you can try other cracker crumbs also for a different taste. There are lots of variations of pre-made cracker crumbs you can try, but it really is hard to beat Ritz Crackers.

David. (Now I have to go look to see if there's some deer or elk steak still left in the freezer! Thanks Guy.)

6mm Remington":2sjcd9xv said:
Great looking meal Guy! You all need to try some chicken fried steaks like this now. I assure you that it will be wonderful! I've put this out there before, but for those who haven't seen it...

Put some milk and eggs in a glass or plastic bowl. Not metal as it will impart a taste on the meat. Mix up the eggs and milk. Put your thawed wild game steaks - does not matter if it's moose, elk, deer, antelope, etc. they all turn out great - in the milk/egg mixture and make sure it covers the meat. Put some plastic wrap or something over the bowl and put into the fridge overnight. If you don't have time a couple hours works also.

Warm a pan with butter and some pure olive oil in it at about medium temperature or slightly higher. Crush a tube of Ritz Crackers in the tube then put them onto a large plate or bowl. Take your steaks one at a time out of the milk/egg and thoroughly coat both sides with the cracker crumbs. Put in the pan and cook until the cracker crumb starts to turn a golden brown ever so slightly. Turn and do the other side. Try and get them medium rare in the middle and if you do it like this it's a pretty good bet they'll be just a bit pink in the middle. Salt and pepper and put on your plate with all the fixings Guy has us drooling over and you will love it.

They stay moist and juicy and taste amazing. I think the milk/egg mixture also helps make them a bit more tender. If there was a real wild game taste, this also does a great job of taking that away. If you want you can try other cracker crumbs also for a different taste. There are lots of variations of pre-made cracker crumbs you can try, but it really is hard to beat Ritz Crackers.

David. (Now I have to go look to see if there's some deer or elk steak still left in the freezer! Thanks Guy.)

Man, I forgot all about this David. I am going to have to make some more of that up this week. I can vouch for this recipe, it is excellent. Haven't done it in a few years but man, it is excellent.

David, that is one of my favourite ways to prepare venison/elk steaks. However, rather than Ritz crackers, I use Vinta crackers. Sometimes I will substitute buttermilk for sweet milk when making the egg wash. Fine dining, and it has the seal of approval from my meat eating grandchildren.

I am going to have to give that recipe to the Mrs :wink: it sound like a great way to do up some venison steaks. (y)
Thank you for the information.

Blessings,
Dan

Back