Ceviche....

A

Anonymous

I've been on a ceviche kick ever since coming back from Costa Rica. It's pretty much standard fare all over Central America and the variations are endless.

Here's my favorite:
Take 1 pound (give or take) of any firm, white fish. I've used rockfish, halibut, northern pike and ling cod. Rockfish is closest to what they use in C.R. where corvina (black sea bass) seems the usual.

Dice the fish into 1/2" pieces and put in a large glass bowl.
Dice 1/2 of a small onion and put in there.
Add 1/2 t of salt
Add lime juice until it just covers the fish. Add juice of 1 lemon and 1 orange.

Cover and let it ride overnight in the fridge.

Next day-
Drain the juice from the mixture
Add the remaining 1/2 onion diced.
Added a sprinkle of red pepper flake
Dice a couple of jalapeño peppers and throw them in
Dice 3-4 Roma tomatoes and stick them in.
Maybe a sprinkle of chipotle seasoning (very little)
Add a handful of chopped cilantro.

Cover and put back in the fridge for 1-2 hours to let everything get to know one another.

Serve cool with tortillas or chips. Fantastic topping for halibut tacos.

Since this isn't "cooked"...using fish that has been frozen is preferable. It hasn't killed any Costa Ricans that I'm aware of....but in this preparation fresh isn't bringing anything to the table that frozen doesn't.

Attachments

• ceviche.jpg
    ceviche.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 864
That looks excellent. I like it alot, never made it for myself, but I would surely try it out.

I last ate ceviche and ceviche tosadas the night before a fishing tournament last month, I never prepared one for myself but I like to try it with speckled trout soon. (y)

Back