Bear ham.

gerry

Ammo Smith
Mar 1, 2007
I had heard that bear makes excellent ham so I decided to try my hand at doing just that. This is the recipe I tried.

http://www.cabelas.com/category/Recipe- ... 386280.uts

My smoker can't get nearly hot enough so I gave them about 5-5 1/2 hours of smoke (did the smaller one yesterday) and then finished it off in the oven the same way we do pork ham until it was tender. I did also add a glaze that contained 3/4 cup maple syrup, 1/2 tsp dry mustard and 1 tbsp of vinegar. I couldn't find Tender Quick locally so found a similar substitute and also replaced the brown sugar with coconut sugar. I have to say it turned out quite well, the bear was young enough that his ham's weren't huge which made it easy to deal with. I have had deer hams before and would have no trouble using this new recipe for them as well.

And for those who didn't see it earlier my 270 Win with 160 gr Partitions performed very well again on this guy. My third bear in three years using that load, it is a hammer 8) Got him on the evening of May 28, had the hams in the brine for about 1 1/2 weeks.

It does look to have worked to perfection, Gerry! Congratulations on some excellent table fare!

Had some more today, it still tastes great :) Had another friend over and he was surprised at how good it was. I hope a few of you try it out with some deer or bear, I do believe you will like it.

I just might have to try that Gerry.

Thanks for the suggestion, and congrats again on your bear.

Guy

gerry that looks absolutely delicious :wink:, man with some scalloped potatoes and some fresh vegetables that would be a meal fit for a king (y).
Thanks for letting us in on that recipe I may try it on a Muley roast or 2 :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Back