Chief Cook & Bottle Washer

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
Well, since my wife took up roof jumping, I've been relegated to a new position as a house husband. It is a full-time job in addition to my normal pastoral duties. Fortunately for me, I have a few weeks holiday which began last week, so I'm trying to spoil my lady. My cooking adventures have concentrated on the Traeger. I'm not taking many pictures since I dumped photobucket. I'll likely land on another site soon enough. In the interim, we are discovering that among our favourite new foods are a variety of grilled veggies. I "traeger" corn either by peeling the husks and stripping the silk before laying the husks back on the corn and soaking in cold water for a few minutes and cooking on high for twenty minutes or so. However, we are discovering that we really like the texture when we husk the corn and rub the kernels with walnut oil and place the corn on the grill for about forty minutes at medium heat. It is a delectable repast when buttered and salted. Roasted potatoes are tossed with coarse salt and olive oil and place in a roasting pan. Baked potatoes are washed, coated with butter and placed on the grill until done. Break them open and add the fixings. I've made my famous traegered potato salad, which gained the approval of a variety of young men who happened by this past weekend. The smoky flavor seemed to be a genuine hit with the young men. Asparagus is fine grilled, but wrapping a few stalks with bacon and grilling elevates the meal in a hurry. Zucchini squash coated with walnut oil (or avocado oil) and grilled briefly makes a fine repast. The same holds for onion and peppers, lightly brushed with oil and salted before grilling. Delightful. We've enjoyed portabella mushrooms on several occasions. A favourite is portabella brushed with balsamic vinegar and filled with feta cheese. That could quickly become a household favourite.

No, I haven't foresworn meat. I'm just trying to please my lady. During the past few weeks, I've made St. Louis ribs, bacon-draped and apple infused pork loin, pork souvlaki, shrimp skewers, spatchcock chicken, burgers (including cheese stuffed bacon burgers) and, of course, steaks. Tonight, I made cornbread topped with grilled corn on the Traeger and a fine Shrimp Étouffée. We don't have crawdads up here, so I substituted shrimp. Mama was sure impressed. I told her I likely wouldn't do that for anyone else, but if it pleased her...

Now, to get my photos going again. Oh, as to housework, I've hired a granddaughter. I don't do windows.

Yep you never know what it's like to have to be Chief cook and bottle washer till our lovely ladies become ill and we have to step up to the plate and take over for them to let them rest and heal.
As you for the past two weeks I have been doing the chores in the house and outside pulling double duty.
Had to learn how to use that new fangled wash machine I bought her to wash the laundry.
But unlike you I would wash windows if she prodded me hard enough but then if you can't see out no one can see in :grin: .
Mine is getting better stronger every day and wants to get more involved around the house but I'm still trying to hold her down so she doesn't over do it. :wink:

I'm getting into the swing of things with the cooking, David. I do enjoy preparing some good meals, and my lady does appreciate the tasty meals. She is a fan of smoke-flavoured foods, so I've taken advantage of the longer summer days by doing a fair amount of cooking on the patio. We eat on the patio about four evenings each week. She enjoys being able to be outside and I can transfer the food directly from the grill to the table. Afterwards, she moves her walker around the yard and inspects her gardens, so it is a pleasant time for her. She repeatedly assures me that she does not intend to climb up on the roof again.

I really like vegetables on the Traeger. Favorite way is coated lightly with olive oil and put in the grill basket.

Some spatchcocked chicken and vegetables

Pizza is real good on the Traeger as well.

Burgers

Ribeyes, lobster tails and asparagus

Brisket

Pulled pork tacos

You can't beat bringing ribeye up to 135* then searing them on a cast iron skillet...

(y) Another aficionado! I'm dedicated to the veggies on the Traeger, Scotty. Been going wild with the meats. I have a nice coho fillet to cook this evening. Brushed lightly with olive oil, a little coarse salt and some fresh ground pepper--heaven!

no doubt fellas , there is a lot of work to running a house . I hope these women get mended up quickly . the food sounds and looks great .

jimbires":3kxxqetc said:
no doubt fellas , there is a lot of work to running a house . I hope these women get mended up quickly . the food sounds and looks great .
I'll second that motion :).
I would rather be driving a truck. Though she has perked up considerably and I'm having a hard time holding her down we did this together on Saturday.
Canned tomato juice for a bushel of tomatoes.

Attachments

• KIMG0401.jpg
    KIMG0401.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,459
Now you're talking, Rodger! Good job. Glad to see that your lady is on the mend.

Mike and Rodger, I can't let my wife see this post or I would be in real trouble :wink:.
Good job gentleman on taking on these extra duties and I am glad to hear that both of your wives on starting to mend.
I never did get the hang of using the traeger (Want to be) :wink: so while we were out of town my youngest boy came over to my home and borrowed it that was in May :shock:. He has stopped by a number of times and picked up food and has brought the food back done just right :mrgreen:.

Blessings,
Dan

Back