Salmon Patties...a Southern Favorite

Interesting read, thanks for writing it.

We do salmon patties throughout the winter and into the spring using whatever we canned from fishing all summer and fall, all the salmon species taste really good :) Our recipe is pretty similar to yours except we add lots of carrots either cooked or grated raw and sometimes even cooked potato, lots of onions a too. Some fine eating for sure.

As a child, I ate salmon patties frequently in Kansas. Even after we were married, my wife prepared fried patties on a somewhat regular basis. You are correct in noting that when salmon is routinely available from local rivers, our own canned variety is vastly superior to the commercial product. Now, I do believe I'll go see about preparing some salmon patties for lunch for my good lady and myself.

Yep the recipes re very similar and the great thing about salmon cakes is that you can add various ingredients to get the flavor you want.
I have no real recipe but start out with the basics but add onion a beaten egg green bell pepper a little celery seed sweet basil a little yellow mustard sometimes cracker crumbs and something not found too far out side of MD made by McCormic spice co. and that is Old Bay seasoning what we put on hard shell blue crabs and steamed shrimp and is also a main ingredient of our crab soup and crab cakes.
Don't ask how much of what because it's a dash of this and a dash of that.

Now, Rodger, we have Old Bay in our larder. Apparently, it is available even here in the wilds of northern BC. Yup, we actually use it in some of our cooking.

DrMike":18c070f8 said:
Now, Rodger, we have Old Bay in our larder. Apparently, it is available even here in the wilds of northern BC. Yup, we actually use it in some of our cooking.
Really, I have been into stores in NC,PA and Ohio looking for it when I was camping and the clerks looked at me and said what is that.
One of my favorite spices and seasonings for fish,shell fish and soups.
It will turn a bland chowder into a very tasty dish. :)

You cannot cook salmon in any fashion without old bay seasoning. We think doing so is sacrilege. Or near to it. Even the freshest fish gets it.
The camp record, which has stood for about 15 years was is hooked, landed, filleted and on the BBQ in 10 minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McCormick must have got on the ball with distribution I truly didn't think Old Bay was that well known and used out side of around MD.

Well you did it, guess what I'm making for dinner tonight? That picture of yours made me hungry just looking at it last night, today I could resist no more. This time I did eggs, grated sweet potato, onions, some arrowroot flour, parsley, salt and pepper, turned out real good. Added some fresh cucumber on the side and some homemade apple juice, a simple but very good meal.

IMG_20170905_193003112 by Gerhard Koerner, on Flickr

Oh, yeah, that'll do, Gerry. Unquestionably, a delectable repast!

A plains lad learning some more of how to prepare Salmon :wink:. I will be going today and try to find some Old Bay seasoning as it is likely good on all kinds of fish (y).
Gerry that meal you took a photo of looks delicious (y).

Blessings,
Dan

sask boy":1vv9fhmi said:
A plains lad learning some more of how to prepare Salmon :wink:. I will be going today and try to find some Old Bay seasoning as it is likely good on all kinds of fish (y).
Gerry that meal you took a photo of looks delicious (y).

Blessings,
Dan
If you can't find any let me and I'll send you a care package. :grin:

Oh salmon patties...when I was a young pup, my dad loved chicken liver and salmon patties.

He would make me sit at the table and finish what mom put on my plate....would not let me get up.

To this day I have a hard time eating them. And I love salmon. Had it for dinner on Thursday.

May need to try your recipe!

Side bar...insta-pot type pressure cookers do great with salmon.

Oh man my dad would always make salmon patties and call it breakfast for supper. It was salmon patties, scrambled eggs with velvetta cheese, homemade biscuits and molasses from cutting our sugar cane. Oh I miss those days, should have never got married and moved out! Haha

My Mother used to makes those a lot with a white cream sause with peas in it, I loved it!

Thanks Michael for posting that link to your story and the recipe!

Back