One of my favorite ways to make backstrap.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Is also one of the simplest. Of course I also like different marinade's and rubs, but often I like it plain and simple like it was done again tonight.

We cut our backstraps into about 6" long chunks when put away in the freezer. I liberally drizzle melted butter on both sides of a backstrap, then when the butter gums up on the cold meat I add salt and pepper to both sides. Take a cast iron skillet with your stove top on high and the pan good and hot with melted butter and some vegetable oil in it. Sear each side for a couple of minutes. During that time have your oven heating up to 350 degrees. I have a piece of tin foil sitting right beside the pan and when the second side of the backstrap is properly seared it goes immediately out of the pan onto the foil and is wrapped up tight and layed on a rack in the oven. Let it cook for 15 minutes and when you get it out you will have a seared chunk of meat cooked to around medium. I cut it across the grain in about 1/2" wide strips. A dab of horseradish with each bite is a perfect compliment to that style of flavor.

I'm glad I ate before reading that, sounds super good. We cut our backstrap all up but I'll have to try that with a small roast. Thanks for posting.

Sounds like a great way to enjoy a backstrap.

JD338

That sounds good. The other way I do, with backstraps, is cut into 3 inch cubes, put rub on it and wrap with bacon cooked on the grill.

In the oven, I slice 1/2 inch backstraps or steaks, spices it up and broil it on the highest heat ( 550 degrees )a few inches from the top flame or element till the edges turn, and flip once and repeat and its done. Cooking time is about 5 minutes each side. The faster you cook it, it traps the juices. It comes out medium and can be well done with an extra few minutes cooking time.

That sounds good TackDriver. I also sometimes broil a chunk of backstrap, usually on a thick piece it takes about 10 minutes on each side, but never done it in small chunks with bacon wrapped around it. Will have to try it.

I love a good rub, and I make my own. My wife, to the contrary, likes hers with salt and pepper only. So, I'm often preparing my meat in two forms. (Yours is on that end of the platter, Dear. The other is mine.)

Back