Antelope Roast

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Used the oven last night for antelope roast, and roasted-veggies. Mama added the biscuits at the last minute!

DaHMh5Wl.jpg

I managed to NOT over-cook the antelope roast. Kept the cooking real simple. I cut some slits in the roast and inserted slices of garlic, then just used a little salt, and a fair bit of black pepper & garlic on the outside of the roast. About 45 minutes at 350 degrees turned out great!

The veggies just had some Lee & Perrins Worcestershire on them, and were only in the oven about 30 min.

Everybody was happy! I don't do a lot of roasts, so always consider it a major success when I do well with one.

Guy

Looks nice guy. Yeah it can be tricky not to overcook them. Looks just perfect in the photo. Medium rare! Antelope is awesome too!

Definitely done to perfection. Nice char on the outside and pink in the middle--yeah, that'll do. Great presentation and no doubt very well received.

Guy it is only 9:45am and I just opened this post and now I am going to have to call Nettie to see if we have any antelope roasts left :shock:.
That looks absolutely delicious (y).
Thanks for this post.

Blessings,
Dan

Very nice Guy, I cheat on elk roasts, using a meat thermometer.
Pepper and olive oil on the outside, basting frequently to help keep
it juicy inside, and pull it out of the oven at 140 degrees. The I let it
rest for a few minutes before slicing.
What wine did you pair with the beautiful meal?

A local northwest red blend. Nothing real fancy, just something Mama and I enjoy.

Guy

ShadeTree":2fwnbths said:
That looks excellent Guy! Never had antelope, but I'm certain I'd like it.

I didn't start hunting antelope until 2012, and had only had a little bit of the meat, at a friend's house. That antelope meat was kinda dry and over cooked. Not very good. I was more interested in the hunt, than in the meat.

Then I cooked my first antelope backstrap steaks... Oh my goodness! (y)

Mama isn't really much of a steak fan - steaks of any kind - but she tried a bit, quickly finished off the two little backstrap steaks on her plate and asked me if I'd cooked more! Win!

Ya, it's become our favorite wild game meat, which surprised me because I enjoy mule deer, whitetail and elk a lot - but the antelope was even better. It tends to be very tender and mild tasting. At least all three of mine have been. This roast was certainly good. I think I've got one more antelope roast in the freezer and a couple of elk roasts, which are of course much larger.

I've only shot three antelope, the rancher only allows bucks to be taken on his property, or I'd get a couple of doe tags as well. He's trying to rebuild "his" antelope herd which was hard hit by a rough winter some years ago. I don't get real picky about the size of the horns on the antelope buck, I just try to avoid ruining much meat!

Out of habit last time, in 2016, I put the crosshairs right on the shoulder, and of course that's where the 165 gr .30 cal Nosler Ballistic Tip hit - but I was surprised that it didn't really ruin all that much meat. One shoulder was pretty trashed, but not completely, and the exit wound was pretty clean.
a5ZkQqGl.jpg

A hunting buddy of mine in 2016 was pretty upset when he hit high with his 30-06 and took out at least 6" of backstrap steaks on his pronghorn.

Guy

I've enjoyed antelope when I've had it. I would enjoy hunting the beasts one day. Opportunities are somewhat limited this far north, however.

DrMike, if Nettie and I are able to make it up to DC this spring :wink: I will attempt to secure a Antelope roast or 2 :wink:. With your expertise on your Traeger I am sure it would be a meal fit for royalty (y).

Blessings,
Dan

Any time, Dan. You're always welcome here. I'm certain we could work to make it a meal fit for kings and queens.

Back