Lunch today.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Wife made whole oven roasted chicken today for lunch. I made the mashed potatoes and gravy. As good as it was the treat at the end was a second helping of mashed potatoes and gravy along with the liver and gizzard out of the bottom of the roast pan.

Is there any animal or bird more versatile for food than a chicken?? We eat the eggs every morning for breakfast, you can make pickled eggs, hard boiled eggs, egg salad. You canroast the chicken, fry them, bake them, grill them, make chicken salad, cut the breasts up for on lettuce salad, and often in a case like this when we make whole roasted chicken my wife saves the broth and grease to make chicken corn soup with sweet corn we put away. It's hard for me to get tired of chicken in the many ways you can make it.

Excellent summation of what must surely be one of the most versatile meats available for delectable dining.

Not quite a chicken but Nettie just messaged me and advised that she is making Pheasant vegetable soup for supper tonight :wink:.
I do agree that chicken has alot of versatility and we eat it at least a couple of times a week not including our breakfast eggs (y) .

Blessings,
Dan

I really enjoy chickens and have taken to smoking them in my new smoker quite often. A whole smoked chicken is a nice size and not quite overkill like doing a turkey is just for the two of us and it's "almost" as good! It's really nice using the smoker as there is no mess inside the house and the smokey flavor is great!

Back