what do I need for wrapping nilgai meats?

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
Hello folks, I am having a nilgai hunt possible tomorrow or the day after and I just purchased a roll of 28 in x 1000 feet of freezer wrapping paper with wax lining on the inside and reg paper on the outside.

Only thing I need is some type of padding or absorbent paper that you place on the freezer paper and the meat on top of that to absorb blood or whatever purpose its made for, such as the butcher uses for over the counter meats or deli, etc.

What method do you folks use for absorbent padding or some type of paper to place on the freezer paper before wrapping meats?

I also use vacuum sealed bags as well, but it does not protect it from long term freezer burns.

I usually let deer type game hang for a few days to drain the blood out and did the same for hogs when butchering when I was a teen the farmers would always kill the hogs and let them hang to drain.
As far as freezer burn prevention I double wrap using freezer paper and then heavy aluminum foil on the out side. Most game doesn't last around my house from season to season and is gone with in 8 months.
I also have vacuum sealed with out problems.

Mark , I don't use any type of absorbent cloth , that you are talking about . I vacuum seal all my meat . you have to be careful the bag stays dry where it gets melted , or it can bugger up the seal on the bag . what I do with the bloody meat is put it in the freezer for a few hours to stiffen up a little , this gets the meat so it isn't dripping or smeary with blood . then I vacuum bag it . I recently seen Cabelas advertise some type of a thing you put in the bag to keep the blood from being drawn up the bag to the seal area . they are reusable , but it would take a bunch of them to pack up just one animal .

Truckdriver, in my parts where i bag the game, once it gets hoisted up, I slit the throat, if not mounting it, before I even skin it, so it has time to bleed out nicely. I let it sit on the hoist longer during cold weather and take my time letting it sit and jibber jabber around. After a few hours I give it a good rinse then quarter them and pack them in ice in the ice chests before I head off home. Sometimes when its hot out, I tend to hurry a bit to try to get the meat in the ice, resulting in less time being hung up to drain. As for double wrapping, its a great idea.

Jim, I agree on the vacuum sealer where it tends to draw up little blood / juices around the sealer areas on the sealer bags. I let the meat sit in a strainer in big pots to drain blood and dab them dry before sealing them.

Both methods as mentioned above do work nicely.

Back