Trichinella spiralis in North America?

noslerpartition

Handloader
May 26, 2018
Not sure if it fits in this forum - anyway:
I was wondering if you have trichinella on your side of the pont?
We have to check every boar, badger, nutria, ... before it can be consumed.

Is it an issue with bear for you?
Since I like meat done medium, the heat would.not kill off trichinella, so I am happy to have boar testet before eating.
Cheers
Frank

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

I've not heard of a case here in northern British Columbia, but we are cautioned against the possibility of trichinosis in under-cooked bear. Consequently, I am cautious about how I prepare bear. The disease is not prevalent in Canada, though it does occur. It appears that infection usually comes from pork, which is essentially all domestic. It would certainly be a nasty infection to have to deal with.

Due to the tests, infections are few.

So is the number of positive tests, but there are some.
We can drop off a sample at every local food inspection site and have the results after 1 or 2 days.

In Michigan they warn us to throughly cook bears. I’m not aware of a testing service, but I’d love to use it. Bear is certainly delicious. I’d love to have some satisfaction that I’m eating healthy meat. I prefer med rare over well done, but always cook my bear to 170f+. I’ll research if I can get testing done and it’s just not well known.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjcmichigan":20t29u3o said:
In Michigan they warn us to throughly cook bears. I’m not aware of a testing service, but I’d love to use it. Bear is certainly delicious. I’d love to have some satisfaction that I’m eating healthy meat. I prefer med rare over well done, but always cook my bear to 170f+. I’ll research if I can get testing done and it’s just not well known.

Every veterinarian with a microscope should be able to do it - if he/she knows what to look for.
As far as I know there are 2 methods. One is just squeezing the meat, the other one digesting the meat with chemicals.
If I remember correctly, because there are different trichinella species.
Costs were around €15. But since we have the African Swine fewer a few miles from our border, we are supposed to shoot more boar and the test is for free now.

Might be worth asking a vet. Even if there are just a few (reported) cases every year, from the reports I am quite sure you don't want to be one of them...

Looks like because of the life cycle of the parasite, it maybe in different places at different times. Looked like they preferred a blood test for protein specific to trichenella... sorry, can’t spell that one. I’ll ask an old school vet we have in the area... every hear of Dr Pol? (Of calling Dr Pol fame, veterinarians reality tv show in mid Michigan)

Back