Surf and Turf.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Buddy gave me a late season archery deer to add to the freezer, young doe about 85 lbs. I left her hang in a cooler 12 days to age. No hamburg out of that 1, all steaks and roasts. Excellent tasting deer with hindquarter steaks that are backstrap tender.

I grilled the steaks, my wife made the rest. Steaks were just salt & peppered, and left to marinade a couple hrs in olive oil.

Grilled steaks, oven baked scallops, heavy on the butter and with a light dusting of old bay. Oven fried potatoes, and pasta salad. Not pictured is coleslaw my wife made. No room on the plate!

Dessert was sweet rolls and ice cream. Meal fit for a king. Times like these make me reflect on all the important aspects of hunting. It definitely is not just for sport with me.

Man that looks great! Going to have to make steaks like that sometime as well, can almost taste those from here!

gerry":1c2ublij said:
Man that looks great! Going to have to make steaks like that sometime as well, can almost taste those from here!

Gerry, on hindquarter steaks I take 1 of those large spiked meat tenderizer hammers, and just hit it hard enough to put some holes in the meat. That probably serves some to tenderize it, but this deer doesn't need that, more importantly the holes help allow the marinade of choice to seep into the meat.

My tenderizing hammer has 2 sides of spikes......1 side larger, the other side smaller and more of them. Don't use the small spikes unless you use it very sparingly. Otherwise you end up with a lot of holes that turns a good steak into what tastes like chipped steak......hamburger on the outside per say.

A repast fit for a king. Good combination of work between you and your good lady.

mjcmichigan":3rlhy33k said:
Really nice work.. including the butchering work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks. I always cut up my own deer. Sometimes I think I'm way too slow, and way too fussy, but in the end I wind up with a nice pile of meat. I cut off all silver skin I can, even for hamburg meat. I let silver skin on for roasts and backstrap as I feel it leaves an extra layer of protection in the freezer, I remove it prior to cooking.

Some yrs I do take meat for hamburg to the butcher shop and let them grind it for me, then my wife and I pack it into bags for the freezer. This past yr I ground my own again.

Back