Pizza.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Wife makes these. Makes her own dough, toppings vary. This one is pepperoni and mushroom. She uses plenty of Mozzarella, and Provolone cheese. Regardless of what kind, her pizza's always beat a pizza from a franchise restaurant, in my admittedly biased opinion.

Well, now, that looks just fine. A well built pizza is a thing of beauty, and that pizza is right pretty.

This one won't probably be quite as good as that pie of your wife's from scratch, but it does taste good and is quick and simple to make. For those days you don't have as much time to put pizza together.

French Bread Pizza

1. Full loaf of fresh French bread (store bought). Turn it on it's side on a cutting board and slice it down the side all the way until you have to halves.

2. Meat and other toppings. Whatever you like. I've used breakfast sausage I thawed out from a deer I harvested but Canadian bacon, pepperoni, or whatever else you like on top. Mushrooms, green peppers, onions, or any number of things make great toppings.

3. Cheese - I typically buy a pre-shredded bag of Mozzarella cheese to put on it. Use whatever combination of cheese you want. For the pizza sauce I buy a jar of Ragu spaghetti sauce. It tastes really good for a sauce. Again, this is the quick pizza meal and not home-made.

4. Heat the oven to 350 while you are putting the pizza together, and if you need to fry up the sausage meat in a pan. If you don't have sausage from wild game, just about any store bought sausage that you enjoy would work just as well. Jimmy Dean breakfast sausage is pretty good for a meat topping. I put a sheet of tin foil down on a large cookie pan. Makes clean up easier.

5. Put the two French Bread halves on the cookie pan. I put the onions, meat, and other toppings on the halves as you want them to be. Then pour the whole jar of Ragu over the top of this. Half a jar on each side is just about perfect. Then put your cheese on top. Throw it in the oven and roughly 20-30 minutes in or whenever the cheese has really melted nicely I then will change the oven from bake to broil. I watch the pizza closely and only have it on broil just for a few minutes to sort of give the top of the cheese a very slightly browned appearance.

6. Three or four sections can be cut on each of the halves and one section especially when you cut it into thirds will be just about right for one person. This will feed 6 people pretty easily. I heat up sections one at a time the next day in the microwave until we finish the pizza off if it's just my wife and I.

Back