Freezer Surprise

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
buried way down in the deep freezer I Found a vacuum sealed half of a deer back strap I forgot about from this past season..The Misses made some sort of fennel, garlic and herb rub and roasted it low and slow and served with seasoned red taters and a salad...Just about perfect for my taste! Much better than the chicken I originally went to retrieve from the freezer...Glad I found it, I don't know how much past 4 months it would have kept...

Attachments

• loin.jpg
    loin.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 2,235
Nice find in the freezer. and looks like it was prepared very well. From my limited experience I have found limited, if any, freezer burn on game meat stored in the freezer for over 12 months. My objective is to enjoy it long before that time, but reality does not always equal objectives.
Stay Safe, and I enjoy your posts.. Rol

Always pleasant to find game meat we weren't expecting. What a blessing to live at a time when we have enough in the freezer that meat can go "missing" for a period. The meal looks to have been great--about perfect, I'd say.

hunter24605":bcie1u2d said:
Glad I found it, I don't know how much past 4 months it would have kept...

We had backstraps yesterday that I found in the freezer...from December 2016.

Our processor always vacuum packs them, and I trimmed away the small amounts of freezer burn. Sous vide x 2.5 hours, then a sear on the grille.
It was OK, but not near the quality of the fresh backstraps I had on New Year's Eve.

With the COVID I am trying to aggressively remove any pre-2019 meat I can find. Our 2 daughters are home, so we are using more than with just the 2 of us, and that helps.

Back