First canning of the season.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Been eating cucumbers from the garden and my wife has been making bread from the zucchini's which she puts in the freezer for over the winter, but we hadn't canned anything yet.

Saturday we done a batch of sweet pickles, and my wife also made some pickle relish.

Pic is minus a few quarts that we had already given away. Had some today with a hot sausage sandwich and mixed some in with macaroni salad. Excellent.

Next batch of canned pickles will be small whole pickles canned in a dill brine.

upload a photo to link to

Haven't put anything into jars yet but we have put a bushel of peas and a half bushel of string beans in the freezers.
The wife was storing some heavy kitchen appliances on top of my freezer and caused the top to bow and the door seal to leak so I went freezer shopping and found they were scares as hens teeth
but lucked into 2 15 cubic ft freezers to replace or 20 that was 40 years old, so we are good to go for storage.
We only can pickles every other year since we don't eat a lot of them and always have enough left overs from one year to the next..

We've been doing the same lately with string beans, just freezing them. If you got room in your freezer it works out well to do that verses canning and saves space on the canning shelves for other things. Different taste for sure verses canning, but I like them both ways.

Back