Deer Slim Jims

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Finished up 5 pounds (wet weight) of deer snack sticks. We never really use much the deer burger for meals, but we really like these "Slim Jims" from the dehydrator. Shot from the LEM Jerky gun...

This is PER POUND of burger meat.

1 TBS Paprika
1 TBS Morton Tender Quick
1/2 TSP Minced Garlic
1/2 TSP Lemon Pepper
1/2 TSP Black Pepper
1 TSP Cayenne Powder*
1/2 TSP Fennel Seeds
1/4 TSP Ground Coriander
1/2 TSP Liquid Smoke

Mix VERY well and let sit overnight to 24 hours in the refrigerator. Shoot into sticks and dehydrate on high setting (160*) until they fold in two without breaking and are leathery, but not brittle (usually about 4-5 hrs)

*This is a mild(ish) version. Add more cayenne for a little more bite.

Attachments

• IMG_2057.jpg
    IMG_2057.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 3,932
  • IMG_2031 (1).jpg
    IMG_2031 (1).jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 3,932
Looks to be a delightful use of that fine animal. Excellent, without a doubt.

I sent the recipe to a couple friends. The meat sticks look great!
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to have to try this with the ground bear or moose we have. That recipe sounds great!

do you have the meat in skins ? I like this kind of stuff , I'll have to give it a try .

jimbires":1k718o8b said:
do you have the meat in skins ? I like this kind of stuff , I'll have to give it a try .

No skins. just shoot the meat straight out the nozzle while its COLD, and it'l hold its shape and dehydrate great..My sister presses the meat into a shallow cookie sheet with sides that are about 1/4" high, returns it to the refrigerator until it's stiff, then cuts it into strips with a pizza wheel and dehydrates the strips.

gerry":2dwcw8mg said:
Going to have to try this with the ground bear or moose we have. That recipe sounds great!

Whoa! I'd bet moose would be fantastic!

I should mention that the leaner the meat, the more flavorful it will be. We made it with some 80-20 ground beef once, and when the fat dripped out, it took a lot of the flavors with it..Usually lean venison and 93% lean beef work best. I'd bet any lean wild game would be fine.

Back