Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:04 am

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: South Africa Hunt Booked. :)
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:43 am 

Ya, thanks for that info. I think my 30-06 or 7mm Rem Mag would do just fine. Neither kicks much and both cartridges have performed well for me in the past.

I had a bad case of buyer's remorse a couple of days ago and almost cancelled the hunt. YIKES!

Almost. I know the plains game hunts are bargains compared to other hunts even here in North America, but wow - the travel costs, and everything else. It's still a chunk of change. Ah well, I think I'll hang in there and hunt.

Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 6:08 pm 

Congratulations on the hunt. I've been to South Africa before, but not hunting. It is a beautiful country, with beautiful and exotic plants and animals everywhere. I think you'll enjoy the trip itself, and the hunt separately and in addition. I look forward to your report next year!

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:52 am 

Well - that didn't last long. Cancelled the hunt.

Closer it got, the more it started looking like a pointless extravagance. I lost interest.

Guy

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: South Africa Hunt Booked. [emoji3]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:31 am 

Logic, damn I hate logic. I’ve let deposits go twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:24 pm 

salmonchaser wrote:
Logic, damn I hate logic. I’ve let deposits go twice.

THAT- So it looks like I may not even attempt deer here in MN for the sake of "logic". Sorry Guy, not to high jack a thread. I always find hunting, or even a range session most enjoyable when it feels like the priorities are in the right order. The right thing will come along and everything will "feel right". Cant remember for sure, but I believe that another poster here related the story of a free range aoudad (or some other transplanted exotic) hunt here in the states. New Mexico maybe? anyway he related a wonderful hunt where his daughter took a magnificent (to me anyway) bull. As they say..."priceless". Black buck in Texas sounds just about right for the old 250 Sav. Maybe some day..... Again, the right thing at the right time, will come along. CL

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:16 am 

+1 CL

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:37 am 

I did a 10 day, 7 animal (plains) hunt in South Africa with my son when he graduated college. Best 10 days we spent together.
I want to go back again, and I want to try the "small five". More challenging, small targets and skittish. What I decided, I am not bringing trophies back. I want to track and hunt and then eat the animal, but no trophies. Just pictures.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:17 am 

Guy Miner wrote:
Well - that didn't last long. Cancelled the hunt.

Closer it got, the more it started looking like a pointless extravagance. I lost interest.

Guy
Noooooo Noooooo

Guy, thought you’d come to Africa - we’d get together - have a few laughs.

Online Profile  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:49 pm 

Firebird wrote:
You are limited to 80 rounds or 11 pounds of ammunition, not sure you'll get to that point but its something to think about. As soon as the airlines start booking for your dates, book your seat and get the "exit row seating." Pay extra if you must but it is worth it!
Add zebra to your list-you'll see lots and nothing says Africa like a zebra rug. You will see and kill a great gemsbok on the kalahari and don't be afraid to shoot a long horned cow, or you could be really picky and shoot a thick horned bull, maybe get lucky and get long, heavy and a bull!
Practice off sticks-the first shot is the only one that matters no matter what rifle and bullet you shoot.
Glad springbok is on your list. It is the S. African national animal and pretty sure you will see lots of them, bring home a worn down heavy ram and keep the back skin for rugs or pillows. Not worth the money to keep backskins from most of your other stuff but certainly something to consider. Take extra money for the duikers and steenboks and things you don't consider until you are there and run into them. I booked my next trip for summer 2022 just to give the world time to settle down and try to reset itself. Will be excited to see how you do, have any questions don't hesitate to pm me-

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:59 pm 

Believe me - I still want to go someday. Right now there are other priorities and I just didn't feel good about the hunt anymore.

There will be a day for Africa, I hope.

Guy

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Moderators: NoslerV, Nosler4, JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3