My african hunt

russ808

Handloader
Feb 2, 2008
IMG_02013.jpg

CopyofIMG_01952.jpg

IMG_02452.jpg

OK, I finally figured out how to paste the photos again. These are the photos of my South african hunt. In the Wildebeeste photo, thats Manzi our tracker in the middle and Gerald the owner at the end. It took seven long hard days of tracking and stalking for miles and crawling through brush that had really long thorns and couldn't get a shot at a wildebeeste, but on the eight day we found this bull alone, under a tree and shot him at less than 50 yards in the chest. We wouldn't have seen him if it wasn't for the two Impalas that ran toward the tree that the bull was under. He ran about 80 yards and dropped. I was told he was an old bull that got kicked out of the herd by the younger bulls. The Nayala I got on the second day after passing up over 60 bulls that were either to small or had uneven horns. We were actually stalking wildebeeste when we got busted by them and they ran off. The Nayala was eating behind a tree with a smaller bull and walked out in the open. The sun was going down when I got him. The Kudu was in the company of 7 cows on the morning of the 4th day. We set up on him and just before I was given the word to shoot he ran off but stopped after going about 10 yards. He stopped and looked back at us. Big mistake. He ran about 100 yards and died. All three animals were shot with 180 grain Nosler Partations out of my 300 WSM Vanguard. Not one bullet was recovered. The black lab is a hunting dog in training. He found the kudu in the grass. The people were great, the lodge and food was also great. The flight sucked the big one because total time round trip in planes was 60 hours. All in all I had a great time. Russ

Terrific game! Thanks for the photos... I'm officially jealous now... :grin:

That certainly qualifies as a successful trip. The smile on your face in each of the photos is priceless. Congratulations.

Awesome for you Russ,

Your eyes tell the story, sure can tell your on top of the world!!!

Simply Awesome!!! Thanks for sharing..

Rod

Did you fly east or west?

Hey maybe all you experienced African Hunter types (Russ and Desert Fox) can put together an outline of "what it takes" to do such a hunt, other than the obvious time and money....

DrMike":1dcv40ri said:
That certainly qualifies as a successful trip. The smile on your face in each of the photos is priceless. Congratulations.

Ditto.....Congrats

Rod, I flew east. Honolulu to Atlanta. 10 hour layover. Atlanta to Joberg via Dakar for fuel only. Then Joberg. to Richards Bay. Then the three hour drive to the lodge.

Russ, Thanks for the photo. Awesome animals! I like the Blue wildebeest too! (poormans cape bufalo), there's plenty of them where we went.

Were is Richard Bay? A friend of my buddy Frank just got back from Botswana and he shot a 58" Kudu. Another hunter from their party shot another one that measured 61". I would like to see that.

DF, its 1 hr 30 minutes south of Joberg. Its about midway from Durban and Joberg. Richards Bay is a port town that exports coal, wood chips, and minerals. I was in the Swart Umfolozi area in Northern Kwa Zulu Natal, at the Umkoposi River Lodge.
58" and 61" WOW.

The Nayala is the only one I got permission by the CFO to mount. I'll take what I can get.

All of us dreamers thank you for the pictures and the smiles that say it all.
Like Pop said "SOMEDAY" 8)
Greg

IMG_0339.jpg

I finally got the Nayala mount. Had some issues with the paper work.
Sorry couldn't figure out how to turn the photo.
In the Shadow box are the two black Wildebeeste tail swiches on the rest of the Nayala skin.
Russ

Another fine looking trophy, Russ. Did you mount any of the other animals?

Back