270 WSM on Plainsgame in Zim

huntnfool

Beginner
Apr 16, 2009
I am planning a hunt for 2011 to either the Save Valley Conservancy or the Bubye (formerly the Lemco Ranch) Valley Conservancy in Zimbabwe.

After talking with many PH's at the Dallas Safari Club Convention, I got mixed feelings about the 270 WSM on plainsgame.

One PH, without hesitancy, said no problem. Many others said bring a 300 or larger. I think many PH's may not be aware of the energy (joules) that this cartridge delivers. I would be loading 160 gr Partitions.

Feedback would be appreciated.

Can't speak authoritatively about African plains game, but I can tell you that with 130 grain E-Tips, mature bull moose are no problem and with 140 grain ABs, elk are no problem.

DrMike":1051e2an said:
Can't speak authoritatively about African plains game, but I can tell you that with 130 grain E-Tips, mature bull moose are no problem and with 140 grain ABs, elk are no problem.

And that speaks volumes.

huntnfool

The most important element in your success is perfect shot placement.
If you put the 160 gr PT exactly where it needs to go, the bullet will do the job.

JD338

I imagine Jack O'Connor would think the WSM craze rather pointless but I doubt that he would try and discourage you from taking your "270 whatever" after plains game. Those already posted have more experience than me but seem to support it. I would go for it. A 270 is good medicine if you be the doctor who hits where he's aimin' at. :wink: CL

Gentlemen,

I appreciate the input.

I agree with all of you. I wanted to see if my thoughts were in line with the experience of folks on this topic.

JD338, I agree, shot placement is king. So is Jack O'Connor, cloverleaf.

I researched several calibers, studied and compared lots of data, especially energy at different ranges, and decided on the 270 WSM.

To date, I have several handloads that are .5 to 1.0 inch groups and still working on different combinations. I am very pleased with the results so far.

Dr. Mike, if your loads worked on two large animals like Elk and Moose , it will work on African PG.

Once again, I appreciate the input. This is why I like the Nosler group. Lots of knowledge and nice folks!

Many thanks,

Paul

Most African countries allow you to bring at least 60-80 rounds of ammo.

In Namibia, 200 rounds.

Paul

Dr. Mike, if your loads worked on two large animals like Elk and Moose , it will work on African PG.

I've pretty well settled on 130 grain E-Tips for hunting here in British Columbia. I'm not terribly concerned at reasonable ranges with this load. With the heavier Partitions, you will drop your game with boring regularity.

huntnfool

Might be a good idea to pick up some shooting sticks and practice out to 200 yds. Polecat make a safari version tripod that would be excellent for you.
Just a thought.....

JD338

+1 on what JD said. Bring the rifle that you shoot best. Practice, Pratice, Practice, then practice some more with shootng sticks. Nothing wrong with 160 grain Partitions. Shot placement is the key. Study on shot placement for the animals you intend to shoot. The plumbling is a little different for plains game.
Russ

I have The Perfect Shot Africa book and DVD. They are both outstanding.

In Texas, we have the Safari Shooting School.

www.safarishootingschool.com

I plan to attend the school for two days prior to going to Zim. I also spend quite a bit of time at the range.

All advice and suggestions are welcome.

This will be my first trip to Africa.

huntnfool

Are you bringing a second/back up rifle with you?

JD338

I was planning on taking a 300 Win Mag or a .338 Win Mag.

Your thoughts, please.

A buddy of mine took his .270 Win and his .300 Win mag to Africa for plains game a couple of years back. Ended up using the .300 for most everything. Lots of drop-in-place results with the 180 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. He was surprised that they worked so well, but said that they produced quicker kills than the 180 Partitions he also used.

Said the .270 didn't get used much, because he wanted the bigger gun in hand for bigger game if it showed up. He shoots both of them well.

Borrowed his PH's .375 for a Cape Buff too. Apparently that turned out to be a very exciting day... :shock:

Regards, Guy

As long as Eland is not in the mix, you're probably fine. When my buddy Frank and I went on our Safari last April, we planned on shooting all the animals with his custom 300 Weatherby loaded with 180 grain Barnes TSX. Instead we ended up using his 375 Weatherby loaded with the excellent 235 grains Barnes TSX. We have both rifle in the rack but the PH keep handing us the 375 everytime he spotted an animal. I believe it's his favorite caliber since he own the Holland and Holland version. My take on African Hunting, use the biggest caliber rifle you can handle. African animals are tough.

Desert Fox,

Thank you for the input and advice!

Where did you hunt and with who?

Would you mind posting a report for us to read?

Thanks,

Paul

Paul, the sections that HunterJiim wrote will help you a lot. He covers alot in the "need to know and do" department.
Russ

Back