plainsgame and accubonds

Butch Smith

Beginner
Feb 2, 2010
I am going to Namibia for a standard plainsgame safari. In talking to the PH i suggested that I may bring my 338 as I was excited about a new load I had just worked up for that rifle using 250 gr accubonds. The PH was not excited and immediately began frowning about that bullet's ability to penetrate. I must confess that I have never shot the accubonds but a penetration problem was the furtherest thing from my mind when i was working the load. Have any of you had any experience with this bullet in 338 win mag? I am pushing just north of 2500 fps. It seems to me that is slow enough for this bullet to perform perfectly. I am gonna believe that until convinced otherwise. your thoughts??

Butch,

Welcome to the forum. I wouldn't want to get in a spitting match with your PH, but I'm surprised that he would question the ability of the 250 grain AB from a 338 WM to penetrate African plains game. The velocity you are reporting is moderate, though certainly not anemic; it has plenty of punch to take down any game you would encounter on that hunt. The AB will hold together quite nicely at velocities much greater than what you are generating.

Perhaps the PH is unaware of the AB, or perhaps he is confusing it with some other bullet, or perhaps he owns shares in another company. It is possible that he had a client at some point in the past who had poor bullet placement and failed to drop game cleanly. I simply can't imagine what his problem with the AB might be.

Were it me planning this hunt, I would discuss the matter with my PH, informing him of my confidence in the bullet and relating some of my own experience on North American big game (moose, elk, black bear, grizzly) with much smaller bullets, some of which are at moderate velocities, and trying to discover what his primary concerns are. If they are justifiable, then I might consider another bullet. If they are generated solely by an irrational bias, I would likely disregard his thoughts.

Hey, it has to be worth roughly what you paid for this advice! Best of luck on your hunt.

I've know of a 9.3 x 62 shooting a 250 AccuBond going lengthwise through a 6x6 bull....twice! I can't imagine a 338/250 wouldn't be at least as good, and theoretically (dangerous word) should be better.

Just out of curiosity, what does he recommend?

Steve

this particular guy is a barnes x fan.

thanks for your opinions. i am already enjoying this forum. very informative!

Take a look at the 338 200 gr E-Tip.
338RUM200grainE-Tip.jpg

JD338

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this particular guy is a barnes x fan.

Oh......I see. Thanks!

Steve

OHHH> :roll: He's one of them. Some of those guys are pretty brainwashed. Kind of like guys that drive Dodge pickups :wink:

In one of the Africa threads a member was dropping African game faster with the BT's then the Partitions (they were big BT's). Since BT's will do the Job, I sure wouldn't be afraid to take the 250gr AB's. Personally, I'd take the 225 AB's, and try to get my velocity up around 2800+. I'm no PH, but I'd be pretty comforatable with that load for anything but the really big stuff.

I can't imagine what all the hoopala is over hunting plains game. My buddy went a few yaers ago and took all of his plains game with a .308 win using either 150gr or 180gr Partitions. He didn't loose a single animal.

The 338 with a 250 AccuBond would have MUCH greater terminal effect.

Bring a few TSX bullets just to show your PH and then shoot the Accubonds. He'll be impressed with the kills knowing his recommended "Barnes" bullets did the job. :lol:

Guy,

I think they ment to say

Guy drives a Dodge pick up. :lol:

JD338

I took my 338 WM loaded with 225 ABs and took a Kudu, Warthog, and Impala with them. All one hsot kills. Our guns were late getting in so the first day I took a really Nie blue wildabeast with the camp 30-06.

The 225 or 250 AB are more than capable of taking any African plains game.

Ditto JD338

One shot one elk. 225 gr. AccuBond. 338 RUM 3110 fps. I can't show you the bullet because it passed thrue after taking out most of the heart and parts of both lungs at 146 yards.

Used 180 AB's in my .308 win to kill a N'yala and Gemsbok in South Africa. First shot on Gemsbok was sideways at about 130 yds through rear portion of both shoulders; the bullet passed through and right on out the other side. Needless to say there wasn't much tracking done. N'yala was in the brush at about 30 yards facing straight towards me. Thumped him low in the chest. Not much tracking there either, about 30 yds, and although that one didn't go the entire length of him after going through the brisket, it sure went far enough :grin: I don't remember EXACTLY, but I think the 180's outta my 308 were probably not too far from the 2500 you mentioned for your load. Have also shot bull elk with the same load a few years ago, with similar results. Heavy AB's, even at milder velocities, just seem to get the job done right.

Man, you have to get some pictures of them up! Sounds like a fun hunt with a couple of nice animals. Scotty

Hunting those Gemsbok in the brush over there was the most challenging/rewarding hunt I have had so far. I'll put a pic or two up tonight!

...just to help illustrate AB effectiveness on African plains game :mrgreen:

atm

atmoshpere":2f1cz08h said:
Hunting those Gemsbok in the brush over there was the most challenging/rewarding hunt I have had so far. I'll put a pic or two up tonight!

...just to help illustrate AB effectiveness on African plains game :mrgreen:

atm

Nice, looking forward to seeing them. Scotty

Okay so all of my pictures from that trip are on another computer that isn't working at the moment. I'll see if i can get copies from family.

Back