My other buddy Frank and his buff

Excellent account and great pictures of a true trophy. Thanks for sharing.

DF

Congratulations to your buddy Frank on an awesome buff.

JD338

That was some great writing. He should submit it to several magazines to see if they will publish it. Nice looking buff too.

Agree - he EARNED that buff!

Great story! I'd like to do a hunt like that, and much as I enjoy hunting with my single shot Number One, am thinking a .375 bolt-action repeater would be my choice while chasing something that could stomp me into mush...

Guy Miner":1xehlh0k said:
One, am thinking a .375 bolt-action repeater would be my choice while chasing something that could stomp me into mush...

+2! I love those #1's, but I think a repeater might make me feel a little better about myself! Scotty

Guys, this hunt is affordable... around 10K. This same hunt in RSA will cost you 17K.

Yeah - that is a great deal - but I'm just not ready to plunk down $10k on a hunt, plus a couple of thousand for air fare, and then the taxidermy & trophy shipping bills... Sigh...

Someday I'd really like to take my son, or sons, on a plains game hunt to Africa. Just not sure I'll be able to swing it.

Regards, Guy

Some of these hunts can be done for even cheaper. When I went to Africa in 2000 for plains game we bought a hunt at a SCI banquet. The hunt was for 2 hunters and 2 observers and included 8 animals (2 each of 4 species). I think we paid 6500 and there were some buff hunts going for about that. I shot 5 animals (Kudu, Gemsbok, Impala, Warthog, and Blesbok) and including taxidermy, shipping of the mounts back, and airfare it was between 7500 and 8000 but I had to pay trophy fees (about 2500) for everything but the Warthog and Blesbok. We also split the day rate for the observers betweens us for the days they killed something. Granted that was 11 years ago but I dont think the prices have gone up all that much since then. In a bad economy like we are in now you might get something even cheaper at one of the banquets. BTW I shot my Kudu at 515yds with my .375-.358STA. They had never seen anything like that before. They had another guy try a 500yd shot with a .338 Win. and he bounced the bullet about 10 feet in front of what he was shooting at. Africa isn't a $3-4000 deer or elk hunt but it's not impossible to do for most people if your determined to go and save for it. My problem is I'm married now and my wife wont let me go back without her. So that adds another 50+% to the price of my hunt.

I'd love to go back for buff, another kudu, and maybe a sable. While we were there they showed us pictures of a few friends from Spain that came down almost every year to primarily hunt warthogs. In one picture there was a pile of over 30 warthogs. Something like that would be a blast too.

That does sound like a heckuva lot of fun! Can't imagine it to be honest. I know when I visited Kenya, there seemed to be game around every tree. Scotty

What a great Buff hunt story! Gonna cut out that second cup o Joe to save my pennys! Should be able to go in 100 years :lol: You better start charging for that wood work Scotty!

Back