Zimbabwe, Africa July-Aug 2011 (pic hvy)

MX Racer

Beginner
Jan 17, 2007
My first trip to Africa, Enjoy!

005.jpg

IMG_1805.jpg

IMG_1815.jpg

029.jpg

IMG_1843.jpg

091.jpg

IMG_1882.jpg

IMG_1890.jpg

IMG_2026.jpg

IMG_1938.jpg

IMG_2046.jpg

IMG_2045.jpg

IMG_2056.jpg

You maybe asking why so many zebra? we were using the zebra for leopard bait and we didn't have any male leopards come in and hit the baits until the last 3 days or so of a 14 day hunt. The giraffe was used for lion bait but unfortunately all we ever saw of the lion was his tracks. Like I said it was my first trip to Africa and I had an absolute blast, the travel to and from was a little rough but I definitely plan on going back some day! The best part was getting my cape buffalo and leopard on the very last day and night before I flew out. A very exciting end to a great hunt!

Congrats to you. Most people dream about it. Anyway what rifle loads did you use?

I used Federal Premium 300 grain Swift A-Frames for soft and
Winchester Supreme Safari 300 grain Nosler Solids.

All of the animals dropped on the spot with one shot with the exception of 2 zebra, wildebeast, eland & cape buffalo. Of those none of them went more than 50 yds except the wildebeast and that was only due to a poor shot placement by me.

The rifle is a Kimber Caprivi in 375 H&H with a Swarovski Z6i in 1.7-10x42.

WOW! That's some beautiful animals. Thanks for sharing. Maybe someday I can have one of those trips. I'm envious.....

MX Racer

Congratulations on your safari. Beautiful animals and habitat.

JD338

Nice critters, congratulations. Out of curiousity what animals did you use the Nosler solids on and how did you like thier preformance?

Who was your guide service/operator and would you recommend them to others? Also did you book through them directly or through an agent?

The outfitter our group used (3 of us total) was John Sharp Safari's. Here is a link to his site:

http://www.john-sharp-safaris.com/index.php

Yes I would recommend him and anyone he associates with to go on a safari. He is very polite, professional and maticulous in everything he does. My friend Barry is the one who originally booked the hunt through John Sharp when he came recommended through the videographer Barry had used two years before on a hunt in Mozambique. We did not use an agent for the booking the hunt, we dealt with John directly and things went very smoothly. We did use Gracy Travel out of San Antonio TX for travel arrangements though. I have nothing but good things to say about John and the conservancy that this hunt took place in and look forward to going back someday soon.

gerry":29fik4l6 said:
Nice critters, congratulations. Out of curiousity what animals did you use the Nosler solids on and how did you like thier preformance?

To be honest none of the animals really required a solid. The 300 grain Swift A-Frames really did the job on everything I ended up shooting. The cape buffalo dropped after running about 50 yds from being shot straight on in the chest. I used a solid to finish him off once he was down. The eland dropped after running about 20 yds after a broadside shot through the left shoulder. Found the A-frame on the opposite side just under the skin with a perfect mushroom. I'd post a picture of it but i seem to have lost it somewhere between Zimbabwe and San Diego. The kudu dropped right in his tracks with a broadside shot and I used a solid to finish him off also only because that was what was next in the rifle. I used a solid on the steenbok only because it was so small and a soft bullet would've done to much damage to the animal.

I'm sure the Nosler solids would've been excellent medicine for the cape buffalo had I needed it for a dangerous follow up shot but that never occured thank god! so I really can't say but I did choose them because of the way they grouped with the A-Frames along with the Nosler reputation for quality.

Looks like a mighty fine hunt. Congratulations!

That Kimber rifle looks great by the way...

Awesome pictures! What a great hunt. Congrats on such an awesome list of animals! Scotty

Congratulations on a successful hunt. The variety of game is excellent, and I really envy the opportunity to examine bullet performance under a variety of conditions. Thanks for posting.

What are you going to mount & how are you going to display them? Those boys take up a bunch of space!

Sounds like an incredible hunt. A dream for me. My wife is trying to set it up for my 45th... 6 more years.

If it happens, the wait will be worth it. :mrgreen:

Looks as though you had a great safari and harvested really nice trophies, congratulations. Thanks for the report.

Titleist":1s7k2v60 said:
What are you going to mount & how are you going to display them? Those boys take up a bunch of space!

They are still being tanned in Zimbabwe at the moment, they should be shipped to the USA sometime in March this year. Of the 4 zebra two will be shoulder mounts and the other two will be rugs. The giraffe will be a shoulder mount, hyena will be a full body mount. The kudu, eland, cape buffalo and wildebeast will all be shoulder mounts. Leopard will be a full body mount and the steinbuck will either be a shoulder or full body mount. I'm not sure if i'll try to make a scene with some of the full body mounts yet but i'm always open to hearing peoples ideas :grin:

Back