Namibia kudu

Titleist

Beginner
Jan 20, 2012
I am headed back to NE Namibia in a few months. No Caprivi, no DG this trip. Just looking forward to a relaxing hunt for a big eland and some of the common PG. Has anyone here heard anything about the kudu rabies issue there last year? I wonder how much impact it will have on kudu hunting this year.

Kudu rabies? Don't let one bite you. Seriously, I wish you every success. It would be a great hunt. Hopefully, we'll see some great pictures when you get back.

The following is from the NIH site. There was another breakout in early 2011. I hope it does not cause a problem for 2012!

"Abstract

An epizootic of rabies in the greater kudu (Tragelaphus strepsiceros) occurred in Namibia during 1977-1983. The virus strain involved in the epizootic proved to be identical to rabies strains found in infected dogs in many African countries. Such a sudden and large outbreak of rabies could not be explained on the basis of the etiologic agent. A thorough investigation into kudu characteristics revealed that the kudu population had increased disproportionally before the epizootic in response to favorable conditions. The social behavior of the kudu, i.e., group browsing on acacia trees, whose thorns cause lesions in the kudu's oral cavity, as well as the excretion of relatively high titers of virus in the saliva of infected animals provide suitable conditions for transmission in the kudu population after initial infection through the jackal or other species. These factors offer an explanation for this epizootic."

My friend who is an outfitter did not say anything about that. I will have to ask him about it. A friend went in 2008 or 2009 and did not say anything about it.
Russ

I hunted central Namibia in 2010. The recovery from the 2008 outbreak was doing well. I saw several Kudu in the 55" range taken and mine was 54". Last year they took several at 60". When I was there I saw large numbers of Kudu - especially young bulls. I haven't heard anything about any recent outbreaks.

Scott

Hunting is the best time pass.There are deer hunting,pig hunting,lion hunting but deer hunting is the best to enjoy because this is not so much risky.In hunting kudu hunting is the best hunting.Kudu is a breed of deer which can be easily hunted.To enjoy hunting you can visit to the system.

dws123":102a7f06 said:
Hunting is the best time pass.There are deer hunting,pig hunting,lion hunting but deer hunting is the best to enjoy because this is not so much risky.In hunting kudu hunting is the best hunting.Kudu is a breed of deer which can be easily hunted.To enjoy hunting you can visit to the system.

hmmmmmmmmmm :|

What'd you say?

Kudu is a breed of deer and this is the best animal to hunt.There are a few kudu hunting places because it is a very adventurous game.

dws123":3jh4hmui said:

With all due respect sir, the Kudo is a breed of Antelope. However it is a great hunt and is second on the list of plains game animals that hunters request to hunt n their first visit. Impala is the most requested, and then the Kudo. The eland is another animal on many peoples PG list. I was recently successful on a Lord Derby Eland in CFR.

Jim, Dr. Mike or anyone please be so kind as to let me know if this post is considered argumentative and if so I will delete it. I am not and was not trying to be rude or argumentative in reference to Deer/Antelope classification, just informative.

Good insight, Aleena. Precision is (or should be) always welcomed by responsible hunters and shooters.

Just to wet your appetite. Good hunting!

Namibian Kudu

Before

9174100-R4-044-20A-0001.jpg

After

kudunatalia640-10.jpg

Good luck on your safari.
Maybe African Huntress can weigh in on your question. She is in the know when it comes to African game.

JD338

Bob in Texas. Very nice Kudu, congratulations sir. Glad you had a good trip and hope you return soon.

Jim, this thread was started in Feb, so the gentleman may have already gone as he said he was leaving in a few months.

Th Rabies thing happens every two or three years for as long as I can remember. It is just more publicized now and the news travels faster and further than in past decades. It hit mainly in central Namibia and spread north. It is, within the government a very sensitive subject and it is very difficult to get straight answers. there are still some great Kudu hunting in Namibia and the prices are cheaper than South Africa. However there are also some magnificent animals in South Africa. The senseless murders in S. Africa are of course a concern, but Tourism and Hunting are great sources of revenues for the Government and the aforementioned two groups are very well protected.

Bob,
That mount is really nice. They did a great job. That looks like a nice Axis on the floor also.
Russ

Very nice Kudo

There is many countries in Africa to hunt without going to South Africa. Most have better prices and nicer trophies.

Those who own farms in South Africa, will always try to sell South Africa

Back