Which country would you hunt and why

hunternyny

Handloader
Feb 6, 2012
I might be going to Africa on business and if i do and if I am able to swing a hunt, I am curious which country you would choose to hunt and why.

I think any of a number of countries have something to offer. The rules and regulations may stifle some interest, however. I know that quite a few people that post here have considerable experience with Africa, though. African Huntress will undoubtedly be able to make a knowledgeable contribution to your query. Also, among those that have had recent experiences in Africa are Muleman, Desert Fox and Russ808. That sounds as if you are being given a golden opportunity. Good for you!

Dr. Mike

Thank you sir. I did send a message to Africa huntress about a week ago and have not heard from her. Two concerns --that the last malcontent that we had here a couple of weeks ago might have been the straw that broke the camels back with her--I hope not. And two I was hoping to find out where others have hunted and how they made that choose. If nobody responds perhaps I will pm the three you mentioned that have recently hunted there--thanks again sir

I do hope Aleena hasn't been turned away by the cretins. They seem to infest the Internet, like moths flitting about the brightest flames.

I think she will be back around, I imagine she is just pretty busy right now. I love to hear from Jerry and A about their adventures.

I can't think of a better person to ask than Aleena. They are very busy but I am sure they will chime in shortly.

JD338

I believe you should first determine what kind of hunt you want. That is what game you are interested in taking. Some places have lots of one and none of another.

Personally I am only interested in leopard, warthog and zebra. Consequently the hardest to get is a leopard and right now, as I understand it, Namibia is the best option.

JMT on it.

I think that Aleena and her hubby are gone somewhere, maybe Africa?

A lot of people now are talking about hunting in Mozambique. It has not been hunted since the Civil War started in the 1970's. They want tourist, trophy and license fees from foreign hunters, have plenty of game including elephants and it is safe to go there. I have seen on TV that they have much game and decent regulations with reasonable fees compared to many east African countries.

JD338":1dvsh0l1 said:
I can't think of a better person to ask than Aleena. They are very busy but I am sure they will chime in shortly.

JD338

You are correct on both counts Jim. As was Charlie. They are on a hunting trip with their daughters. I had ask her via pm pm on this forum and another and I heard from her last night. Besides my choosing the wrong country, the wrong hunt, and the wrong gun--I was spot on LOL One of the animals I wanted to hunt ( Lord Derby ) is not even in the county I will be in and one of the hunts I wanted to take while there, I may want to re think. The information was enlightening and disappointing all at the same time.

However, if I only have the time and money for a five to seven animal plains game hunt, I will have no complaints.

I hope the other three Africa hunters, that Dr. Mike mentioned, chime in when time permits, as she said, you can never have to much information before you go and she feels the experience and knowledge that these gentleman can give me would be very beneficial to me

The one thing I found that was very usefull was the Sawyers Tick Spray. You spray your clothes with it and it keeps those buggers off. I used it every day and it kept them off. My buddy just came back for Zambia with the same results. As far as rifles, we used from a 7mag, 30-06, 300 win mag, 300 wsm and a 375 for plains game. All bullets were Partitions and A-Bonds.
But I did find that a 375 was a bit much for Impala.
Russ

John, sorry I missed this thread until now. I have forwarded on to you some ideas. Listen to her john, her guidance has put me in a position of now being able to take my son with me for a father and son Africa Safari. She was aware that my father left me this trip in his will when he passed and the fact that his grandson will also now go I believe would/will please him greatly as it does me. I am taking the 30-06 and 375 ( my dad s 30-06 and a new 375 ), my son is taking his great uncles 7 x 57 and 416 Rigby. Both rifles were used by his great uncle on an Africa Safari years ago. However his great uncle is telling him to forget the nostalgia of using the rifles he did in Africa and take the 257 and 340 Weatherby. We ( He ) must decide very soon.

john if I read your post correctly this will be a trip you will take while on business in Africa, so considering your air fare has been paid and you probably will only have a few days, I suggest you dont complicate the situation, take what is available to you cost wise and time wise and never look back. Best of luck and hope it works out for you, as i know you have had a tough go recently

Sean, she did put things in perspective, very quickly. Thank you Sean for the info and also thank you Russ, that is very good advise and it is appreciated.

John,

Good to see that Aleena and the others have been able to get you situated quickly.
Best of luck to you and I hope you are able to hunt and share the stories and pictures with us here.

JD338

russ808":15dtvdyj said:
The one thing I found that was very usefull was the Sawyers Tick Spray. You spray your clothes with it and it keeps those buggers off. I used it every day and it kept them off. My buddy just came back for Zambia with the same results. As far as rifles, we used from a 7mag, 30-06, 300 win mag, 300 wsm and a 375 for plains game. All bullets were Partitions and A-Bonds.
But I did find that a 375 was a bit much for Impala.
Russ

Of the animals we shot in Africa (duiker, warthog, blesbok, gemsbok, impala, kudu, and black wildebeast) at least one of all of them but the wildebeast were shot with my .375-.358STA (the others were with a .30-338 and .358STA). The duiker was overkill with the .375 but the 250gr Sierra's that I loaded didn't tear up any of the others excessively. The duiker got launched backwards about 10yds and the hole was pretty good size, about like a baseball. My gun shoots the 250's at 3080fps too.

John,
A little late on this - sorry. What animals are on your list? The list could determine your destination. Namibia would be my choice for a first time plainsgame trip. SA has more selection of species but is more expensive. If your after more than plainsgame I'll defer to those who are more traveled than I. Any gun you would use on elk will work for plains game. If Eland are on the ticket I think 338WM or bigger is what I'd opt for.
Scott

Idahoctd, ridgewalker, jd338, oldtrader3 and muleman --thank you

Russ808, Alaska100, Africa huntress--thank you for the medical insurance guidance, and your guidance via pm s and here on the open forum

After reading the dialogue between Scotty and Sean on a different thread, I am leaning toward a pair of 340 s, as my desire for a lion hunt, plus time and funds available after the lion hunt will allow me to only hunt a couple more animals and I am thinking the Kudo and Eland; I have been told that replacement ammo is not as easy to find however, if god forbid the airlines should lose mine.

I have found it is exciting just planning a trip like this. Still hope to hear from desert fox, and any one else who has already been there and done that.

I have no doubt that the planning is exciting. It's exciting just waiting for the season opener here each year. Best of luck to you.

hunternyny":3b4xeqtn said:
Idahoctd, ridgewalker, jd338, oldtrader3 and muleman --thank you

Russ808, Alaska100, Africa huntress--thank you for the medical insurance guidance, and your guidance via pm s and here on the open forum

After reading the dialogue between Scotty and Sean on a different thread, I am leaning toward a pair of 340 s, as my desire for a lion hunt, plus time and funds available after the lion hunt will allow me to only hunt a couple more animals and I am thinking the Kudo and Eland; I have been told that replacement ammo is not as easy to find however, if god forbid the airlines should lose mine.

I have found it is exciting just planning a trip like this. Still hope to hear from desert fox, and any one else who has already been there and done that.

Be hard to beat a good old 338 Win Mag as well. Seems like ammo should be as available for that as for most anything else.. But, I really have no clue.

Good luck with it. A lion would be some kinda awesome hunt!

If you can air ship a few boxes of factory ammo via Fedex or DHL a month ahead of time, it may insure you have ammo when you get there?

A large male lion weighs about 450-500 pounds but they can cover 100 yards in 4 seconds wounded and maul several people in seconds. So a .340 Wea Mag with 250 grain Partitions, Swift A-Frames, Woodleigh's or similar may be good insurance of a hard and disabling hit. However, in some countries, you have to use .40+ caliber for the Big 5 animals?

Good luck with your trip, I am certainly jealous of your good fortune and hope that you bag the animals which you are planning to shoot.

If you have a .375 H&H or a improved version where factory H&H ammo can be shot in it I'd take that. Ammo will most likely be more readily available for a H&H over a .340. Or do like Charlie suggests and send it over ahead of time. You can ask the PH about ammo availability too.

If I went on a lion hunt I'd want my .416 or my .458 Lott though. Something about following a wounded lion in the bush that would push me towards more gun than a .340. If you do take a .340 and load your own ammo you might look at a brass bullet like the Cutting Edge to try and inflict as much trauma as possible. Just my .02

Back