Which would you choose to hunt

Africa Huntress

Handloader
Feb 14, 2012
I was asked by a member which was my favorite African game to hunt which I have answered below.

Dangerous Game: Lion.

Plains Game: either the Kudu or Eland. both are challenging hunts.

What would you choose, if you could only choose one ?

Lion. Given the choice here between hunting grizzly and moose, I take both. If only one can be hunted, grizzly for sure. Ditto, Africa. I go for the adrenaline.

Plains game - Back in 1991 in Desert Storm (How did that get to be 20+ years ago?) we were in Oman, training with the Omani forces. They were actually pretty good. One day a herd of scimitar horned oryx went by our desert bivouac. I may have been the only guy who knew what they were. Completely off-limits to hunt, they belonged to the Sultan of Oman. At that point he was a staunch friend of the United States. May still be. I don't know. I wanted to go after one so bad I had to turn away and quit watching them. Beautiful animals.

I really want to hunt the Oryx. The regular one with those incredible long, straight, pointy horns. Heck, they take on predators with those horns! Nothing cries "Africa" to me like the Oryx. I don't know why, but that's the animal. Would likely go to Namibia where I understand they still roam free - though I know bigger specimens grow in South Africa where there's more food.

Dangerous game? Tie between the Cape Buff and the Leopard. Don't know why. Just based on what I've read and what I've heard.

Got an invite today to join a local group of hunters going to South Africa this summer. I don't think I want to dive that deep into the savings account this year, but it sure is tempting.

Regards, Guy

Guy

The Oryx or Gemsbok is a great hunt and a tough hunt. you should be in good physical condition as you will walk a few miles. Also they can be aggressive for those adrenaline junkies among us. I know two people who have taken one in New Mexico, one is a member of this forum, the other is not, but they both live in the States. Best gun for hunting these animals is the 300 H & H. Well actually that is the best gun when hunting most animals lol

I see Scotty and Dr. Mike both like the adrenaline hunt as I do. Cheyenne, many people have a hard time hunting Zebra because they think it is like hunting a horse. but the skin on a floor or wall is very nice

Charlie, Jerry likes hunting the Bongo also, and took one very recently.

I have always thought that the Bongo and Kudu were the most strikingly beautiful antelope in Africa. Plus, they are challenging to hunt and harvest a trophy bull. Congratulations to Jerry on his successful Bongo hunt, did he shoot it in the Congo?

Charlie

Lord Derby, Bongo, and Sing-Sing was all taken on his last hunt in the CAR.

I will catch up to you later charlie, on the run right now

I think Kudu would be at the top for plains game? Without a doubt, Cape Buff with a double rifle for DG.

I would love to hunt Kudu and Water Buck.
For DG, a Cape Buffalo.

JD338

Kudu hunting is THE hunt in bosveld Kalahari..
Springbok hunting is THE hunt on the grassveld..

I haven´t that much desire for lion, but elephanthunting on foot is something I have yet to try..

Back