Trophy expenses ?

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
I understand that between taxidermy fees and shipping, a hunter can run up a LARGE bill following an African hunt. I've heard that this can be as much, or almost as much as the hunt itself.

This frets me.

I have a couple of reasons for wanting to change from the traditional "mount & ship everything" mode.

1. Frankly, we have a modest size home, with little room for a bunch of new "trophies" be they from Africa, Alaska or here in Washington.

2. Money. I'm not a wealthy man, and have taken on a part-time job to pay for the Africa trip.

I'm really after the experience of the African hunt, not the wall decorations. Though admittedly, the trophies from any hunt serve as a nice memento, helping me remember each hunt. And yes, they look pretty cool too. The big ol' 6x6 bull elk antlers are firmly affixed to the wall above my desk, where I'm typing this now. I like them there.

Am considering a couple of options to cut costs and accommodate my modest size home. One more drastic than the other. Your input is invited:

1. Do "European" skull type mounts and a small wooden plaque for the warthog tusks should I manage to take a warthog. These take up less room than a full head & shoulder mount with the cape on, and also cost a lot less. I'd imagine the shipping is less expensive as well, as the crate should be smaller. All of my mule deer antlers are either European style or simply antlers on a wooden plaque. I'd also consider getting a couple of "flat" skins from the African beasties. I understand those are also not very expensive to have done, or shipped.

2. More radical: Take many photos and simply blow up a couple of them, and hang them on the wall as mementos of the hunt. My smiling face & gray hair, next to some whippersnapper of an African professional hunter with a (hopefully) large and very dead sample of African plains game posed before us.

Why not? I like the photos of my other hunts tremendously. It would be very inexpensive, and it would take up the least possible amount of space in the house.

I can't bring the backstraps home for the BBQ anyway - though I hope to eat them there in Africa.

Thoughts? Experiences from other hunters?

Thanks, Guy

I'm a traditionalist, for sure, but I just can't get past the idea that if there are horns, feathers, antlers, or such, I should have them as a reminder. Especially if it's some sort of trophy I likely would only get one of in a lifetime. I'd go with the Euro mounts, and some skins. You can likely get the skins tanned and back to you for pretty cheap.

Tanned hides shouldn't be overly expensive, Guy. They have a certain appeal.

You are correct, "Good" mounts can be even more than the trip itself. Besides the mount, --- crating, shipping, customs, and insurance are expensive. you can cheat on the insurance but at your own risk.

One set of horns or a skin will always shout "Your Africa Hunt" to you and guests in your home. Especially if you blow up three or four of the best pictures you took and put them around or close to the horns or skin. In some cases we have just put up the horns over a small table and chair and put an album of pictures on the table that says ( in your case ) " My Africa Hunt", on the cover. You or a guest can sit and enjoy the pictures in the album with the horns or skin right in front of you on the wall.

Also, speaking just for myself, I would prefer to shoot a couple more animals than to have a full mount, especially if there was a possibility I would never return to the same hunting grounds. I believe you mentioned Kudo. I would rather have an Eland and a Kudo, or a Gemsbok and a Kudo than a Kudo and a mount

As with the other folks who have responded these are just our thoughts for you to ponder, as the final decision will be up to you--good hunting

I originally was to go alone for a lion and plains game hunt. If I was successful I had every intention of having something mounted. I made a completely different decision. I elected to have my teenage son hunt with me instead of an expensive mount. We do have horns, a hide, and a picture album like the one A describes in her post.

Interesting thoughts. Thank you.

I'm reminded that 12 years or so ago when I got my only bull elk, we lived in a smaller place, and there was simply no room inside to display the antlers, which were on a wall plaque.

I shrugged, put them on a wall in the garage, surrounded by a map of the Wind River Mtns where I hunted, and four 8x10 photos of the hunt. It really looked pretty cool, though it was out in the garage. We moved to this older but larger home, and my wife thought they'd look great in the family room - they really do.

Perhaps we can find somewhere for a couple of the larger heads, kudu & gemsbok. I'd like that.

Regards, Guy

We got a pretty good deal on our hunt but I spent as much as the hunt cost on taxidermy. I shot 5 animals and our group of 4 shot 15 total. So we saved a bit having them all crated and shipped back together to Seattle and then we went and picked them up. Short of something like a Cape Buffalo or a Sable I probably wouldn't do full mounts on anything else. Like has been said, spend the money on more animals, taking a kid, etc. Another option is you could always have the hides salted and sent back with the horns. If there is something you are considering having mounted get the cape tanned and then you can mount it as money/room allows. It's not terribly expensive to get the capes tanned.

Guy,
I have to agree with the prior. I chose flat skins and pictures. But mounted only one animal. It was a tough choice but I had to stick to only one.. Yept mount one and get to shoot a couple more animals.
Russ

The Tax bill can be high. Just bring the skulls home and any tanned hide you like. Springbuck is very nice as is Zebra.

Guy,

I think you're on the right track as well. I went to Africa to work, and only had the photos and the video photography I took to bring home. I did get to shoot some game, not for sport but for sustenance and/or bait. The skins could be brought back after being salted and then dipped, and have them tanned here in the states. The cost savings would be hugh! Besides, looking back later in life at the pictures will actually mean the most to you and your family members, even long after you're gone they'll be cherished far more then the shoulder mounts!

Great photos are a must on any hunt so take lots of them, but have someone that knows how to take great pictures and don't worry yourself silly about going bankrupt or working two jobs just to have a shoulder mount that wont really make or break a great trip.

Some of my best memories hunting are game animals that weren't hugh trophies but how I took them! A great stalk within feet, a incredible long distance running shot, or a difficult shot in severe wind over great distances. Those are the feats that mean the most to me and having the pictures to remember them by, not whether or not having them mounted mattered. I'd much rather have those hunts on film then have a mount on the wall! It's part of the reason I got into video photography, to show others what I saw and/or did, or for someone else so they could relive their hunt over and over again through film!

Go to Africa on a budget, you'll still have a great time! Take only the trophies you truly want to take. Make it known to the PH you're not Ted Nugent, or someone with unlimited funds...... you're not there to "whack um and stack um", but you'd only like to take the trophies on your list or something truly special trophy wise if you come across it? Take an animal only if it truly impresses you and the PH, don't be overly concerned if you don't. There will be others, take fewer animals that you want then more that you don't really care for? Most of all enjoy each day in the field!

Guy, I took 8 animals, 3 more than the package I had bought so that added to my costs. By the time I paid to have everything done my hunt price almost doubled. I had flat skins done on Zebra, Impala and Wildebeest and European mounts on Wildebeest, Impala and Warthog all done in Africa. The Kudu, Gemsbuk shoulder mounts and the pedastal with the Impala and Blesbok were done here.

The taxidermist I used here does amazing work and also will sit on work for years while a person pays it off. I have friends that have mounts sitting there for years before they get them paid off, dropping off $50 here and there.

One option would be to have maybe a few skins done there and just have the skulls cleaned and shipped and do your own skull mounts.

I love coming home to see my stuff, even the European mounts. I just don't think pictures would do it for me.

I skip all this trophy stuff...I am in for the hunt and good memories' . That I decided a long time ago. I would rather spend more time on African soil doing what I like..hunting, then spending my hard earned bucks on importtax, duties, vet control, spedition Co, shipping, taxidermist, salt and dipping, transport to taxidermist and what ever other fees/expenses that might become additionally also.

Interesting thread…

I'm heading to Namibia next year and have been wondering about this very thing. I'm not into taxidermy and have nothing mounted currently. Much like Guy- I have a small house and I just don't have room for a lot of mounted work.

I'm thinking Euros and maybe a couple back skins…but I have to admit the photo idea seems more reasonable in terms of cost and "transportability". I'm kind of happy that I wouldn't be alone in thinking that way.

Does anyone have a PH give them any grief for not wanting trophies?

Hodgeman,

The meat will not go to waste in camp. The camp staff will consume the game taken and/or it will be sold as bush meat locally. Sometimes depending on the area given to the local people in the area, but I found if a outfitter can put more money in his pocket he'll think it's rightfully his to do so even when he was suppose to give it to the surrounding communities!

If you're not into taking the trophies home see if you can work out a better deal culling animals?

Hodgeman

It is your time, your dime, and your hunt. If you only want to hunt a certain type of animal just make sure your wishes are known when booking your hunt.

I do want to mention that when using the words "plains game", that in itself does not necessarily translate to inexpensive. In some places the Red Lechwe ( which is a great hunt for a long distant shooter ), Giraffe, Livingston ( Eland ), Nyala, can run your hunt costs up very quickly. The roan Antelope, in some places, are also demanding a hunt cost that rivals hunting buffalo and is more than the croc, hippo, and lioness, in the dangerous seven group.

Guy and Hodgeman, what plains game animals are you thinking of hunting ?

LRH- I was pretty much aware of what will occur with the meat… pretty much OK with that. I just wondered about bringing back 7 trophies, the logistics of such and then spending considerable money to mount them- when in fact, I'm just not sure I'll ever be able to display them.

AH- on my hunt we're pursuing warthog, red hartebeest, gemsbok, eland, kudu, zebra and blue wildebeest. I'd really like to Euro everything and rug the zebra. Pretty sure that would fill up the house... We're booked 17 days and have some bird hunting and a trip to Etosha in there as well.

hodgeman":3i7cm15l said:
LRH- I was pretty much aware of what will occur with the meat… pretty much OK with that. I just wondered about bringing back 7 trophies, the logistics of such and then spending considerable money to mount them- when in fact, I'm just not sure I'll ever be able to display them.

AH- on my hunt we're pursuing warthog, red hartebeest, gemsbok, eland, kudu, zebra and blue wildebeest. I'd really like to Euro everything and rug the zebra. Pretty sure that would fill up the house... We're booked 17 days and have some bird hunting and a trip to Etosha in there as well.

Nice choices. You will have a great time hunting them. Best of luck

Bird hunting is something not everyone takes advantage of when visiting Africa, glad to see you are doing so. And Etosha will allow you to see the endangered Black Rhino, another good choice.

Hodgeman. I have had the opportunity to hunt Ptarmigan and Grouse in your home state and have always enjoyed those hunts.

members like George S has far more experience than I, as I have only traveled to Africa one time. But the one time we went ( my son and I ) we had a great time and only shot a handful of plains game each. We didnt lose or have any rifles arrive late. We didnt do any expensive mounts. We didnt hunt any of the dangerous seven. But we did have a trip that neither of us will ever forget. Dont misunderstand we would have loved to have hunted one of the dangerous seven or even more plains game, but we just could not afford to do so. A shoulder mount or two would have been great, but again the money was just not there. We may never be able to afford to go again. But we will never forget "our trip to Africa". If you really want to go--go--tomorrow is promised to no one

Guy,

I am sure you have said and I just cant find it, but have you decided, I was wondering which animals you have chosen to harvest and which gun you plan to use ?

I may not be where I can log on and respond but will watch for your answer

Aleena, thanks for the gentle reminder about your question. :oops:

Hunt is off for now. Some health issues preventing my travel to Africa, at least for the time being. It will be interesting to see if I'm ever able to make that trip.

Had I been able to go, Gemsbok was at the top of my list for the plains game hunt. I'd love to combine a buffalo hunt with the plains game hunt though, putting buffalo at the top of the list, followed by gemsbok.

For plains game, I'd feel very confident just taking my .30-06, but the .375 would likely go instead, simply because it's all about Africa. For buff, oh my goodness yes, I'd grab the .375 and would likely be wishing I had a .416 or a .458 instead!

Regards, Guy

Back