Books/stories

tim629

Handloader
Apr 15, 2013
So what are some of your favorite books about hunts in Africa?

Ive been working through Peter Capstick's books, but figure there have to be others too. Much cheaper at this point to read about african adventures than to actually go and make my own right now.

http://www.amazon.com/Hunters-Wandering ... _lmf_img_7

51NXRYJ1HZL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

From a modern day perspective.."African Hunter ll" by Craig Boddington. For romance from a passed century Arthur Neumann" Hunting elephants in east-equatorial Africa" or "Book of the lion" by Alfred Pease.

Safari, by Elmer Keith. Lots of b/w photos and color pics of his double-rifle collection, very nice.

I visited him in Idaho in 1976 and had him sign several books he authored thru the years.

Good readin',

I bought the book to read in South Africa to read on the way home. I found it interesting how the reloaded the black powder rifles. Grab powder by the hand, put down the barrrel, follow with lead bullet and the fire. Neat way to measure I must say.
Russ

Hopefully this post will slip under the radar and no one will ruin this thread for the OP

This thread hit a hot button with me as I love to read and it seems like I spend half of my life on an airplane.

Fortunately for me my great-grandather, grandfather, and father were all avid readers and sportsmen. I dare say they have collected well over 200 books and accounts written by Africa hunters and explorers.

The writings of Neuman, Foa, Barrow, Baldwin, Drummond and especially Gerard, Pease and Kerby as they wrote about their hunting experiences with the lion, which is my favorite animal to hunt.

I enjoy Bell, Ruark, Boddington, Capstick, Keith and others also, but I seem to find myself a little more caught up into the adventure of those who hunted Africa before the 1900 s. Africa had to be breathtaking at the very least at that time. Can you imagine the fields of game, the beautiful people and turning a corner and seeing Victoria Falls. I was born a few years to late

I was given the series of books written by J.A. Hunter and have only read two of them so far, but both were enjoyable. A, I feel the same way about the early cowboy era in America, born just a few years to late

Aleena,
Thanks for the info! You have an impressive collection.
I NEED to start reading about Africa to scratch the itch but I am afraid all it will do is fuel the fire. :)

JD338

Fueling the fire is a good thing Jim...

There's still room on the hunt I'm doing, South Africa, June 2014...

Be happy to have you along!

Guy

My favorites are from Ruark. I like his dry sense of humor.

Horn of the Hunter, Something of Value... Those are some of my favorite books, and they're available again, via Safari Press.

Guy

A,
Africa in the late 1800's and early 1900"s must have been unreal.
I also read Scouting on two Continents by Russell Burnhan. Pretty cool.
Russ

The one who first caught my interest was Capstick, so I give him top "kudos" ( pun intended) but you can't have Cap without Mr. Ruark- and you can't have him without Papa Hemingway. For solid education and experience I give Mr. Boddington the nod. And is it just me or did the old master Jack O' Connor get missed? Nope I see him nailed in with Kodiak's post! And while I am mentioning world wide sportsman- can I recommend Walter Prothero, he's as good as any of them in a more modern day package. Thanks for some less known names-I've for to go look some info up!

I think Col. Craig Boddington has written the most recent books about hunting Africa. He has a vast knowledge and experience with a knack for great works through words so I enjoy reading his stuff. I own almost every one of his books, as well as the old great writers about Africa. Some also not so well known, like Big Game Shooting In Africa by Maydon & others from the Lonsdale Library given to me by a great friend who past away a few years ago, Casey Poehler.

Reading about Africa is what brought me to go there, and yet those words even though a world away still take me back to a place I loved so much. Africa is a beautiful place I long to visit again one day soon enough.

I like Boddington pretty well. His approach is more modern and he has vast experience. I also own several Capstick books and they are very entertaining.

Kodiak":5qtwguct said:
Safari, by Elmer Keith. Lots of b/w photos and color pics of his double-rifle collection, very nice.

I visited him in Idaho in 1976 and had him sign several books he authored thru the years.

Good readin',

Oh man! I gotta find this one! EK is still my idol. I have loved every book he has written so far..

Back