The Unsung Gemsbok, by John Barsness

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
So I've been reading, and enjoying, a chapter of "Born to Hunt" every few nights. Just a chapter, then pause to roll it around in my head and enjoy the writing some more.

Last night I came to "The Unsung Gemsbok" - wow... I've been dreamin' of Gemsbok for years and have a hunt booked for early next summer... Pretty doggone excited about this, and JB's writing got me all fired up about it again last night:

Reading of places like Namibia, The Karoo, of stalking through the brush, of how tough the gemsbok can be... Dang... What a hunt!

I have to wait almost a year to hunt a gemsbok? That's going to take patience...

Great chapter there JB, and yes, you've got me all fired up about taking that wonderful Number One back to Africa and going after them.

Gemsbok dreamin' for sure... I think I could happily go all the way to Africa, just to hunt gemsbok. Yeah, I've got the fever pretty bad, and reading that chapter last night sure didn't help my case.

Guy

Barsness certainly writes well. He is clearly knowledgeable of the subjects about which he writes. I can see how his writing would stimulate the juices, Guy. Man, this hunt is going to be great. And to think, with your photographic abilities, we'll all have opportunity to see the country and share the hunt! That will be great!

I think Gemsbok is my number 1 animal I would want to hunt in africa followed by the Kudu & impala. those are 3 reasonably priced animals that just scream Africa to me.

I too look forward to your pictures and story from your hunt...even if we do have to wait almost a year for it

Gemsbuck was my #1 animal UNTIL I saw my 1st Waterbuck! Had to have one and got a very nice one. Also shot my Gemsbuck. The big problem was once I got there I saw other animals I likes as much as the Gemsbuck.
So many animals to choose from and so little time and money. A 13day (11 full days of hunting) seemed like allot until I got there. Would have liked to stay much longer hunting and sightseeing.

Divernhunter":1pcnqnyk said:
Gemsbuck was my #1 animal UNTIL I saw my 1st Waterbuck! Had to have one and got a very nice one. Also shot my Gemsbuck. The big problem was once I got there I saw other animals I likes as much as the Gemsbuck.
So many animals to choose from and so little time and money. A 13day (11 full days of hunting) seemed like allot until I got there. Would have liked to stay much longer hunting and sightseeing.

Exactly! It is crazy both during the planning stages and then when you get there. We at one time or enough decided that we wanted the Sable Antelope, Waterbuck, Kudu, Eland, Gemsbok, Impala, Nyala and this was after we decided not to hunt the lion or water buffalo in order to keep our expenses down and to be able to hunt more plains game animals. It is crazy. Same with the time, two weeks seems like one week, and you want to stay longer. I also had some problems deciding on which two guns to take. I knew the 30-06 would go but the second gun was a 375, then a 458, then a 416 ---exhausting and frustrating, but I cant wait to do it again.

You will have a great time Guy, glad your going

You fellows sure know how to pump a man up! :mrgreen: I'm wanting to go. Already planning how to get my wife on side. :lol:

You guys are right about the ten days going by so fast. But man I was beat to the bone on the 11th day to go home. Maybe because I had to get back to the rat race. I wonder how a 15 to 20 day hunt would be like. Hummm.
Russ

Tell ya Russ - I'm already scheming to figure out how to fund a return trip in a couple of years.

Longer trip, maybe three weeks and into a more remote area, primarily for something dangerous. Most likely cape buffalo, though a leopard would be quite the hunt too...

I'd have to really think about the .375 Number One for cape buff. Great rifle & cartridge, but a bolt action repeater could be real handy should the buff not fall at the first shot - and I understand they often don't fall at the first shot... Yeah, three weeks or so, way out in the boonies somewhere, under canvas, after buffalo... Taking a few head of plains game as the situation permits... That would be one heck of a hunt. I need to save more cash for that one though!

Guy

Guy, Thats the problem. I aready picked my money tree bald. A lot of safaris have a Sable/Cape Buff. combo. I would like to do that with the Gemsbuck added. Still on the fence about a elephant or hippo. What to do, what to do.
Russ

Guy,

It will be here before you know it.
The Gemsbok is on my bucket list too, right behind Kudu and Waterbuck.
Take a look at the 416's for buff. ;)

JD338

Hunting gemsbok is exciting. Hunted in bosveld the gemsbok can present days without any results..but it will become HUNTING in unforgettable maners. Hunting Kudu too. If I have to choose between gemsbok and kudu I think I would take kudu. That animal can become illusive and it has a vision like x-ray..it can see through the bush, where the hunter can see nothing.

You can also hunt Gemsbok in Texas and in New Mexico for that matter, that is if you can not afford to go back to SA.

Guy Miner":2uikxx8k said:
Tell ya Russ - I'm already scheming to figure out how to fund a return trip in a couple of years.

Longer trip, maybe three weeks and into a more remote area, primarily for something dangerous. Most likely cape buffalo, though a leopard would be quite the hunt too...

I'd have to really think about the .375 Number One for cape buff. Great rifle & cartridge, but a bolt action repeater could be real handy should the buff not fall at the first shot - and I understand they often don't fall at the first shot... Yeah, three weeks or so, way out in the boonies somewhere, under canvas, after buffalo... Taking a few head of plains game as the situation permits... That would be one heck of a hunt. I need to save more cash for that one though!

Guy

You would be better served not to bring a single-shot on a dangerous game hunt. A Double is nice, but the shooter will usually hold two rounds between his/her fingers in their left hand (for a right handed shooter) for speed loading on Buffalo, and no Buffalo do not drop at the shot even with Big Bores! A magazine bolt gun is better, and a drop box even better yet! I've seen Buffalo soak up nine rounds from a hunter and the PH.... not great shot placement by any means but under the duress of the situation I guess things like that can happen? But Buffalo, and lion can and do bring a hunter to the ground for complacency! I'd re-think bringing a single shot for a weapon that will keep your eye on the target not on just the first shot but every round the gun will hold...... I used to like the lever guns because even when being loaded partially you could still fire off a shot if you had too. But those Hogs weren't Buffalo!

Resolved the single-shot/dangerous game issue when I came across a real nice, custom built .375 Model 70:

Love my Number One. Great rifle. Accurate, easy carrying, and dependable. But... If I ever do a dangerous game hunt, the Model 70 repeater will be my choice.

Regards, Guy

Now you're talking....... a sweet 1/4 rib express sighted M70, with very nice wood I might add! Is that a Rosewood tip Guy?

Thanks. I was lucky to find such a rifle. The tip is Australian Leatherwood.

I haven't shot it much yet, but it's a real peach to shoot.

Nice rig you´ve got there Guy..:)

I am planning a trip next year in april to SA for kudu and gemsbok. Hunting in the northern part of SA where the area is unfenced along the molopo river on the Botswana border, the kalahari bosveld presents the perfect scene for these two animals. Warthog too will be encountered..
Your Winchester rifle in that setup will be a killer. Lightweight rifle in a medium bored round a la 9,3mauser/375H&H in the bush is the reciepe. Use/practice ironsights too..plenty of oppochunities will arise during the time where distances is about 130meters (143yards). Any good bullet in the 240-270grain class will out do everything.

Gemsbok country.

Back