African Meals

tim629

Handloader
Apr 15, 2013
For those of you that have been to Africa,

what does a typical day of food look like?

most all accommodations look 5 star, even the tent camps look amazing in the photos I've seen.

what kind of lunch in camp vs on the trail if you happen to be tracking something mid-day, breakfasts, ect...

We hunted all day every day at Iliwas Safaris. That was one reason I liked them. It was spot and stalk on a huge(24,000+ acers) and no internal fences. We had a plate of food plus sandwiches/snacks/sodas/water for the day hunting. Morning was a simple breakfast. Eggs/bacon/cereal. Dinners were excellent. Lamb/Warthog/Impala/Kudu/Gemsbuck preped different ways. Steaks/stirfry and such. Rice/potatos if I remember right/veg/wine/rum and Coke for me/ice cream/and other deserts. Mostly I remember the meat and the hunting mostly but I was never hungry and liked the food. They did(will) cater to what you like and do not like. Example I like pineapple but my daughter does not. So one lunch we had pizza and other stuff and hers did not have pineapple with the ham and mine did.
I liked the Red Heart Rum they had and they sent a bottle of it home with me.

I haven´t sought any kind of luxery when hunting abroad. Never needed it. In Africa a typical day starts with oatmeal + fruit. Make up a few sandwiches into a coolerbox + drinkingstuff(lots of water + cokes).Salty snackes, fruits, drymeat(biltong), rusks etc. That will keep you going through the entire day. Evenings mostly eating have been on open fire preparing gamemeat. All this we have done ourselves, with no staff, no white tablecloth, silver plates. When at home at the Phs house, his wife do serve us breakfast & dinner.
In general I don´t want to be served. I want to be a participant and become activ in all aspects of the huntingcamp.

Sometimes just a few pieces of bread in the evening is enough. A few slices of bacon, cheese and tomatos into sandwich bunds and put over the fire. When getting home to camp in the evening, no one really care too much doing too much, and a simple solution is the answer.

making breakfast..

Relaxing in the late evening after a long day..

Very cool DH and RM! Talk about two different camp set ups! Very neat. Thank you for posting and great question Tim, never thought of asking that. Sounds like some good chow is around though.

That about gives the yin and the yang of dining on an African hunt. I can see the appeal of either. I must say that simplicity is most attractive. Should my wife ever accompany me, however, service would be the name of the game. Most fascinating.

I'm just surprised that you don't see/hear about more of the simplistic ones,

I'm assuming they are either a bit cheaper, or else more in the heart of the African Bush....either/both of what I would be looking for, even though DrMike you are 100% correct, if I take the wife I want her to enjoy a hunting vacation with me

Camplife for me is ½ the trip when on Safari. The most rewarding moments is when getting back to camp after a long day, preparing a fire,throw some meat on and just sit doing nothing, but drinking something cool, while waiting for dinner to be ready. Around the fire, sharing stories, reflecting the events of the day etc makes it all memorable for life.

tim629":2xdsw7dv said:
I'm just surprised that you don't see/hear about more of the simplistic ones,

I'm assuming they are either a bit cheaper, or else more in the heart of the African Bush....either/both of what I would be looking for, even though DrMike you are 100% correct, if I take the wife I want her to enjoy a hunting vacation with me

tim, I was thinking the same thing when I was planning our trip. I pestered Aleena something terrible via pm, when we were both on a different forum. Her and her husband do navigate the waterways to undisclosed locations and also have friends who are bush pilots. But she warned of the dangers of the waterways ( hippo, crocs, and unfriendly waring tribes, especially between political parties). Also time is a problem as she mentioned two or three weeks in, two or three weeks hunting and two or three weeks back, and that very few have 60 to 90 days available to them and if they did the cost becomes outrageous . As far as food is concerned, when they go on an extended, away from everything and everybody type trip, they take only the essentials, like sugar, coffee, salt, flour, etc.. They shoot small game ( even small, big game ), plus birds, fish and some plants produce food. I know that earlier this year they disappeared for several weeks when her husband was hunting the Lord Derby with a flintlock.

You might pm her and ask specific questions, it may be a month or more before she responds but she will respond.

I also agree with Rigbymauser. I loved the evening around the fire, having a scotch, before, during and after the meal

alaska.... Aleena sent me a PM detailing the logistics of the deep more wilderness hunts. sounds like a great experience but I don't think something I will have the funds or time for or wife will have the desire to join me with

Sean, it sounds like hiking into the outback or navigating a waterway in Africa is not as simple as hiking into the rocky mountains or putting a boat into the Columbia River LOL

But god do I wish I had the time and money to do it. My wife would go with me and we are saving our money to take a boat trip up the Amazon. Sean, you remember when Bill and his wife went up the amazon and told us about it. My wife and I put the Amazon trip up close to the top of our bucket list. But she also wants to go to Africa and would want to go as far into the interior as we can afford to go. We want to hunt animals but we might hunt fewer animals to have the experience of going deeper into the jungle, so to speak. We have also collected a ton of pm s from Aleena and Charlee and hope to someday put a plan into action

Just a few shots of the dining table during my trip to Namibia. The food was even better than the table setting!
Scott

Yes, it is lovely, to say the least. I can imagine that the meals were a gustatory delight.

Back