Africa 2015 recommendations

Dr. Vette

Handloader
Apr 16, 2012
Gents and Ladies,

It appears that Dad and I have agreed to try a hunt in Africa in 2015.
While there are two local gentlemen we will talk to regarding recommendations I was wondering if the members here had recommendations based on personal experience.

We are planning a plains game hunt, and I suspect that at least one of us will want a zebra.
I do not expect any mounts, per se, but rather some European style mounts and a couple of skins.
We both expect to take our wives along as guests.

Also, if you have any outfitters we should avoid I would appreciate it. Feel free to PM me if you want to keep any comments confidential.

Patrick

HOGWILD338-378":245y5bir said:
http://www.cabelasoutdooradventures.com/ViewDetail?id=1008
Not sure but Mr Cabela would not let someone advertise on his page if they were not reputable just my 2 cents! African Huntress could probably give you way better info than most and she has posted lots of stuff here!

Good advice, that. AH is able to give you some good intel re. African hunting. Several of the fellows that post here have hunted Africa and might have recommendations.

Cabela's was sold, so Dick Cabela has no say in what outfitters they promote.

Dr. Vette, your very best bet is to ask this question on the AccurateReloading forums.

George

Hmm. I never knew a forum called "Accurate Shooter" would have more Africa hunting stuff seemingly than anything else. :shock:

Having said that, I'll probably read it over but I doubt I'll ask anything. Since people who join a forum, ask a question and then leave seem to irritate me I don't want to be one of them.

It's accuratereloading.com, not "accurate shooter".

You don't have to ask any questions; just search the African Hunting forum for information. There are dozens of questions like yours about first-time plains game hunts.

George

OK, I did find it correctly but mistyped it here. Sorry George.
I'm already on Accurate Shooter, thus the slip of the fingers.

As I noted, I'll be searching over there.

Thanks for the tip.

Still hoping for personal recommendations from people I know on this forum.

Thanks guys and gal(s).

Sir,
a friend of ours recently concluded a successful tiger fishing trip on the Zambezi river in Zimbabwe. He also hunted Cheetah ( unsuccessfully ) but did manage to bag a variety of plains game ( 6 or 7 different animals I don't remember for sure ) Zimbabwe has come a long way in becoming a country people feel safe in visiting, however, there are some political unrest at the moment. Hell there is always some political unrest in Africa. However, the Chinese are investing millions of dollars on inter-structure and airports in the country at this time. I am sorry but I do not have time right now to pm you but will do so next week. Could you pm me with the animals your hoping to hunt and whether or not the wives can rough it or prefer some level of comfort

p.s. Terry, how are you sir

Jerry suggested I add the following as we may not have internet available to us next week. Over the years the general consensus among those who are in the business of providing hunting safaris for first time hunters, that when considering terrain, accommodations, prices and the variety and quantity of animals to hunt, safety, etc, that South Africa and Namibia are your best choices. Zimbabwe, is a distance second to SA and Namibia, but it is definitely gaining in popularity and has a lot going for it. Tanzania is considered a country for hunters with deep pockets, it is expensive and in our opinion is not the best choice, especially for a first time hunter and/or one who may be hunting on a limited budget. Zambia was a good choice for many years, but with the lion becoming unavailable to hunt and the recent firing of the game deputy and several of his assistance's, it is currently in a bit of a turmoil, but good hunting is still available at fairly good prices. We do not recommend Mozambique at this time

Regardless of where you go we always recommend a few days at the Victoria Falls Hotel. It is the closest to Victoria Falls and was build in 1904 but has recently been refurbished. It is a grand old lady sitting in a beautiful location. A hotel where you dress for dinner and then have a brandy or scotch with a cigar on the veranda after dinner. The other good choice if Victoria Falls is on your itinerary , is Victoria Falls Safari Lodge. This hotel gives you a birds eye view of a variety of game animals coming and going to the water, and it also is right at the falls. Both hotels serve a variety of game animals for dinner.

If you pm me with the country you eventually choose and the game you want to hunt we will pm you with more information

My daughter and I went to SA on a plains game hunt May 2013. It was great. We brought home 8 SCI book animals and got all really nice animals. Also did some sightseeing and such.
I researched for 3 years before I booked. I made the right choice. Great animals, great place(huge 35,000+ acers and no internal fences0 Great place to stay., plenty to see do, better than great service and the most fantastic people who we still see and talk to.
Check Iliwa Safaris in SA. If you go to thier new facebook page you will see some of our animals also. If you talk to them tell them Hi from Doug and Kelli Thomas. Right now one of them are at shows in the USA and the other will be at home so it may take a bit to get back to you. It is a father/son owned operation that has owned the land for 5 generations. They are also very reasonable priced.
If you want more info PM me and I will give you my ph #.----Doug

Thanks Doug. I have read your posts from early last summer when you returned from your trip.
Iliwa is already on our "check them out" list.

Patrick

Dr. Vette":u6hrvuz1 said:
Gents and Ladies,

It appears that Dad and I have agreed to try a hunt in Africa in 2015.
While there are two local gentlemen we will talk to regarding recommendations I was wondering if the members here had recommendations based on personal experience.

We are planning a plains game hunt, and I suspect that at least one of us will want a zebra.
I do not expect any mounts, per se, but rather some European style mounts and a couple of skins.
We both expect to take our wives along as guests.

Also, if you have any outfitters we should avoid I would appreciate it. Feel free to PM me if you want to keep any comments confidential.

Patrick

A good thing you need to do make in your mind is what you really want and how!.

Many people go to Africa and can afterwards say they have killed game in Africa, but have never have done any hunting. They drove into a highfence area where the ph(farm assisstant) actually knew where the animals would be situated..stopped the car 200meters before and basically walked up to the animals and ofcouse a black helper put up the shootingsticks where the client place his rifle and mash "play"!. Here afterwards the mandatory handshakes and "Good shooting lovely shot" and a few pictures. From here the ph and client drive of to the next animal and somebody will pick up the previously shot animal.
It is that what you want?. or do you want to spend a few days with crawling/tracking/stalking and actually get to feel you also do the hunting rather than having someone else do the hunting and you just do the easy part?.
Do you what to hunt in bushlands or open grasslands/plains?. Do you care for a lot of walking or just a few yards of walking, or sitting at a spot all day waiting for the right moment etc.
Not many(unfortunatly) doesn´t mention how they want to hunt, but mention only what they want to shoot. Think of this for awhile. Hunting gives more in return in the memories than just plug n´plain.

Rigbymauser

Exactly!

When I was planning our hunt it was one of the first things Aleena ask me. Do you want to hunt or just take pictures of dead animals with you in the picture. I found out through her how different hunting in each country can be, and in which manner you will hunt each animal. Walk for miles or set in a blind waiting. How different the terrain is or can be, in each country and even for each animal. I thought I wanted to to hunt the Lord Derby in CAR and she flat out told me that I was not prepared to hunt in that country.

When she ask Dr. Vette about whether the ladies can rough it or need some level of comfort, I know exactly what she was asking, loosely translated. do you need to be back at base camp each night ?

Rigbymauser asks a very important question Dr Vette and one you need to give some thought too, as some hunting terrains and style of hunting can be very tough, but as Rigbymauser stated "Hunting gives more in return in the memories than just plug n' plain"

I hasten to add--to each his own, far be it for me to decide what is right for another hunter, but Rigbymauser and Aleena are asking good questions and giving one something to think about when they are planning a hunt of a lifetime

OK, here are some comments

- Yes, we would need a base camp where the ladies can enjoy their time. We all grew up camping and they understand roughing it, but we're not going to sell them on this trip if we're in wall tents with no showers. My parents will be 72 and 71 by the time we go, and at this point in their life don't want to pay $8000 to camp. :grin: Nice accomodations and nice food are a must. If it were just Dad and I, and it was the best way to hunt, then it might happen but for this excursion it won't.

- Dad and I would vastly prefer to hunt than to put-and-take. We have turned down local game preserves because it's like shooting an animal on a farm. No thanks. Give us wild animals, not shipped in for us to shoot.

- Never hunted in Africa so I can't answer if I'd prefer plains or bushlands. Wherever the animal is, there I will go.

- Animals that look attractive include blesbuck, bushbuck, impala, gemsbuck, springbuck, and zebra. Why? Because their color is attractive and if I'm going to consider having them tanned I want a pretty hide on the wall. Other animals would be considered.

- South Africa and Namibia were already at the top of our list. South Africa can feel a bit more like a "put and take" hunt which is not what I want. The fact that Namibia is free range is very appealing to me, but I know that many ranches in South Africa have that same feel.

- Dad and I have been on 4 guided elk hunts of various quality, hunting anywhere from 5000 to 9000 ft of elevation. I'm usually the one walking up and down. :mrgreen: He's done antelope in WY, we've both done whitetails on the open country of north Texas, and we have decades of hunting in the woods of Michigan. Blinds (pop-up, elevated or makeshift), spot and stalk, crawl in the brush, pushed drives, and other techniques come to mind. We have taken game from 10 yards to 800+ yards over the years. So, we've had a variety of terrain and experiences so far.

I hope that helps with recommendations and suggestions.

I went here in 2010 and am going back with my son as soon as the piggybank is full enough. A class operation with amenities that spouses will enjoy and only 45 min outside of Windhoek. It is easy to get to and close enough that Hannes' wife can take them shopping for the day. There is the coast to visit as well as Etosha Park where you can see the big 5. They have an awesome Mtn zebra hunt that'll knock tour socks off. Property is 40k acres of low fences to hunt indigenous species like Gemsbok, Kudu, Springbok, Hartebeast, Plains zebra, Black and Blue wildebeest, steenbok and Warthog. 10k of high fence for Sable, Impala, Blesbok, Waterbuck, Eland etc.. The best service and food you can imagine! All my animals were gold medal SCI.

http://www.bergzicht-hunting.com/

Scott

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=12828

Well Mr. Vette.

kalahari, South Afrika is a good place to actually hunt free range game. Zebra is towards Namibia border..and then you might be lucky to find a stray on the SA side. Kudu,gemsbok, warthog,springbok is typical animals to be found up there. Blesbok is more grasveld animal like what you can find in free state, Eastern cape. Hunting in the Kalahari is something you must try. Very beautiful and wild. My next hunt will also be in the Kalahari...wouldn't miss it for the world.

The people at Cabala's are good to talk to after you have some ideas and input on where you would like to go.
It costs nothing extra and the Company has an interest in it's reputation.
Atchison's I think is another respected outfitter although I haven't dealt with them.
Talking even over the phone is preferable when you get down to booking.
The thing with internet sites is there are a lot of posers.

Good thought on Cabelas, though they tend to be very pricey hunts.

Dr. Vette":u86obyvk said:
OK, here are some comments

- Yes, we would need a base camp where the ladies can enjoy their time. We all grew up camping and they understand roughing it, but we're not going to sell them on this trip if we're in wall tents with no showers. My parents will be 72 and 71 by the time we go, and at this point in their life don't want to pay $8000 to camp. :grin: Nice accomodations and nice food are a must. If it were just Dad and I, and it was the best way to hunt, then it might happen but for this excursion it won't.

- Dad and I would vastly prefer to hunt than to put-and-take. We have turned down local game preserves because it's like shooting an animal on a farm. No thanks. Give us wild animals, not shipped in for us to shoot.

- Never hunted in Africa so I can't answer if I'd prefer plains or bushlands. Wherever the animal is, there I will go.

- Animals that look attractive include blesbuck, bushbuck, impala, gemsbuck, springbuck, and zebra. Why? Because their color is attractive and if I'm going to consider having them tanned I want a pretty hide on the wall. Other animals would be considered.

- South Africa and Namibia were already at the top of our list. South Africa can feel a bit more like a "put and take" hunt which is not what I want. The fact that Namibia is free range is very appealing to me, but I know that many ranches in South Africa have that same feel.

- Dad and I have been on 4 guided elk hunts of various quality, hunting anywhere from 5000 to 9000 ft of elevation. I'm usually the one walking up and down. :mrgreen: He's done antelope in WY, we've both done whitetails on the open country of north Texas, and we have decades of hunting in the woods of Michigan. Blinds (pop-up, elevated or makeshift), spot and stalk, crawl in the brush, pushed drives, and other techniques come to mind. We have taken game from 10 yards to 800+ yards over the years. So, we've had a variety of terrain and experiences so far.

I hope that helps with recommendations and suggestions.

Perfect, good info, I will pm you some info later this week as time is not my friend at this moment

hunternyny":2dg2ql9r said:
DR Vette

what rifles and loads will you and your father take on this hunt ?
I suspect he will take his 7mm Wby.
However, we have a wide variety of available rifles and calibers from 223/22-250 to 338-378. No limitations here.
Not sure yet which I will bring, though it might also be a 7mm Wby, else a 270 Win.

Back