.500 S&W handgun / water hole ????

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Interesting conversation with PH Mike Birch after he gave the .500 S&W a try at the range.

He was adamant that it would be terrific from a waterhole blind, for blue wildebeast and warthogs. Ranges from 20 - 40 yards for the most part. The blinds are intended primarily for bow hunters. I'm starting to warm up to the idea.

What do you think? 440 gr hard cast or 350 grain hollow point ? Will it really matter? :mrgreen:

Guy

I have no experience with the 500 but with the 44 I would go with the hard cast bullet just because every thing I've read about African animals is that they are hard to kill and the hard lead will penetrate where the hollow point won't. Shoot a 1/2 inch steel plate with both bullets or an old junk car door and see which one penetrates better. my money will be on the hard cast lead bullet even in the same weight.

I am in the "hard cast" camp also. I load a 350 HC in my 45/70 and 45/90 as well. I have yet to shoot "anything" with either but do have high hopes.

Guy
I don't own one but I've shot several up in Alaska. I did use one belonging to one of our guests to whack a porcupine. DRT. The Damn thing makes me giggle like a school boy seeing boobies. My guess is you could kill what ever you wanted using hard cast bullets. Seems I've read some one killed an elephant with one.
I'd like to find a model 92 in 500 sw. Make a heck of a handy ranch gun.

Yeah, I bought one the year they were introduced. 2003 maybe?

I shoot a box or two of handloads through it every year, just for kicks. Literally. My standard load is a 440 gr hard cast @ 1400 fps via AA #9.

Am of the impression that it will handily take any big game in North America, within range.

Guy

Guy,

The 500 S&W would be pretty cool to hunt with over a water hole.
I think a 440 gr hard cast @ 1400 fps would do the deed on anything you choose to shoot, big or small.

JD338

Guy Miner":28lcy7j3 said:
Interesting conversation with PH Mike Birch after he gave the .500 S&W a try at the range.

He was adamant that it would be terrific from a waterhole blind, for blue wildebeast and warthogs. Ranges from 20 - 40 yards for the most part. The blinds are intended primarily for bow hunters. I'm starting to warm up to the idea.

What do you think? 440 gr hard cast or 350 grain hollow point ? Will it really matter? :mrgreen:

Guy

Why not take both and do a real life bullet test :) hope you get to try it out soon.

I'd love to see you hammer something with the 500 Guy. That 440 HC bullet should be awesome for performance. Be careful you don't hammer too many animals. I imagine it would take a lot to slow one of them down!

I can't believe that the hardcast bullet wouldn't drop what ever you shot at. The softnose should do well on those animals mentioned as well. My experience with plainsgame showed that they can be tough. I had a Harte beast that took two 200gr ABs from my 325wsm at under 100yds and stayed on it's feet.

Scott

Mountain Goat":9r5cmmcr said:
Test it out on a spring bear as a warm up

Brilliant idea. (y)
I would mount a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8 handgun scope on the big S&W and get a 100 yd zero.

JD338

Just might do that.... (y)

My shots at bear have mostly been on the longer side, but now and again a shorter range shot possibility comes along.

I'm still liking those 440 gr Cast Performance Bullets. Big ol' flat meplat on them!

Africa though is still a big question. Might or might not be able to make that trip, ever. If not, there are plenty of bear, elk & deer here in Washington to pursue.

Regards, Guy

You could consider it a little extra of a workout to pack another 7-8lbs handgun with you while bear hunting :lol: :mrgreen: . I'd like to see something killed with it.

I am also in the cast camp.

How about a 700 grain T-rex at 1238 fps with LIL gun?

300 FXT, 440 cast and the 700 The one to the right!

and another! LOL

Attachments

• 500 700 gr.jpg
    500 700 gr.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 5,138
That would definitely be a chunk of lead, Fotis. Perhaps there is such a thing as killing something too dead! :shock:

Fotis,

I wonder how many water filled milk jugs it would take to stop that lead brick?

JD338

We killed a couple bears with the 300gr FTX's at 3200fps out of a .500 Weatherby. It was rather impressive. I bet they would be a good choice in the Smith as well.

JD338":3bl0zh3s said:
Fotis,

I wonder how many water filled milk jugs it would take to stop that lead brick?

JD338

Thinking a year's worth of milk!!!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen:

I would use a jacketed bullet such as the Swift 325gr A-Frame. You could take any PG with it and even at longer ranges than 40 yards.

Just my 2 cents.

It's been a while since I've pulled this out. I used to carry this with me everywhere in the Back Country around Montana/Wyoming and Alaska. At the time it was the Worlds most powerful Revolver, then came the 475 Linebaugh, 460 and the 500 S&W. It will print quarter size groups with the FA 260 Flat Nose @ 25 yards. I think these are moving along @ 1,825 fps. I have other brands of bullets but these had the best POA/POI.

Freedom Arms 454 Casull 6" Magna Ported Barrel Premier Grade.

Attachments

• Freedom Arms 02 09 2015.jpg
    Freedom Arms 02 09 2015.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5,082
Back