importing ammunition to South Africa.

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
My outfitter told me one of the lockable plastic boxes available to reloaders should be fine, but added factory ammo boxes in a lockable container best.
An internet search failed to resolve whether or not I need factory ammo boxes. Anyone have any experience with the ammo question?

Does anyone have any factory boxes for 30-06 cartridges lying around they want to get rid of?

You don't need factory ammo boxes but it will dumb things down for the people checking you through customs. As long as the headstamp on the brass matches the description on the barrel then your good to go. So if you took your 338 Jarrett and didn't have 338 Jarrett brass the barrel would need to say 338-8mm Rem. Mag Imp if your using 8mm Rem mag brass or 338-375 H&H Imp if you were using 375 H&H brass. If you formed it out of Hornady basic brass (which doesn't have a headstamp) and had the head stamp CNC'd 338 Jarrett you be good to go too.

Just make sure your brass is stamped for the caliber of the rifle.
In short, no 30-06 necked up to 35 Whelen. That tends to confuse people.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

That's why the .338 Jarrett is not going at this time. Sande and I will both take our 30-06s, she was not amused when I suggested perhaps we leave her rifle behind in lieu of one of the lighter rifles, and I really want to shoot the 375 on something, perhaps the Eland.

Where are you in Wasington? I have some boxes I'd loan you if you're concerned about it. I'm in Pierce County. I took my 7x57 and .35 Whelen to South Africa 3 years ago. I put my reloads in 50 round, hard plastic ammo boxes and locked them inside another hard case inside my duffle. Made sure I had the correct head stamps to match the rifles and everything was great. The beauty of an '06, should your ammo get lost its easily replaced. My friends bag got lost in Atlanta. (He's an airline pilot, go figure). The outfitter had some PMP 220 grain ammo in camp. He liked it so much he continued to use it even after his own ammo showed up.

lefty, I'm up in the Carnation, Fall city area. I have a ton of the 50 round boxes, beginning to believe I don't need the factory boxes. I'll let you know.

You do not need factory boxes. When we went in 2013 I put the ammo in the plastic aftermarket ammo boxes(50 and 20 round) and then it all goes into a TSA locked box. We used Pelican boxes. They real thing is they do not want the ammo loose and touching each other. What little the may touch in the MTM type ammo boxes is not a problem. Just mark on each ammo box what cartridge is in it.

You will be fine without the "Factory" boxes

When I have flown stateside or to Canada, I have used the 20 round plastic boxes with home made labels.

JD338

Doc, thanks for the follow-up. I have learned the same regarding caliber. An email exchange confirmed the rule means what it says, so I'll have the 375 and the 06 in one box, Sande will have her 06 and perhaps the 257 Bob in hers.
I ordered the boxes tonight, thanks.
Incidentally when Sande and I were returning to our rig from dinner tonight we found a brand new vette parked next to us. Beautiful car.

I've been to SA twice 2014 and 2015 and have never had my ammo checked. The SA police are only interested in the rifle. As others have said pack it in a lockable box (cash box) for the airlines

It’s not the police, Tsa, or SAP you need to worry about. It’s the airlines. Airlines on flights within SA require ammo be checked in separately from your luggage. So, you need a lockable case for this.

Back