Only horns?

mtwarych

Beginner
Sep 2, 2013
Ladies and Gentlemen,

I find myself watching more and more Africa based hunting programs on tv.
I would like to go to Africa sometime in my life but it won't be soon.

Now for the big question, are there any animals in Africa with a forked antler like our mule deer or whitetails?

I have looked around on different sights and I can't find any.

Thank you for any help.

No indigenous species have antlers (the Barbary Red Deer is classified as extinct).

There are introduced species like fallow deer in South Africa (and perhaps elsewhere) however.

George

I wonder why there are no forked antler type animals in Africa.

Does anybody know why? I am sure the reason would be interesting.

Maybe it is just too dangerous being without some sort of defense for the 2 or 3 months without antlers?

GeorgeS, thank you for your knowledge and reply.

You're welcome.

Maybe it's just a result of evolutionary factors, like why we have few horned species in North America (Mountain Goats, and the four sheep species; pronghorn shed their horns every year).

George

mtwarych: Sir.

Someone ask me if I would respond. My sister wrote a paper on this in college, but she lost me when she started taking about DNA, 33 million years ago. I do remember, or think I remember that there are no antlered mammals in Africa, at this time, and the only antlered animal that did exist here which was mentioned by George, is now extinct and only one multi horned animal, the Jacob goat, that "possibly" originated in what is now Northern Africa and they are not extinct. The only horned animals in North America is the Pronghorn, Goat, and Sheep. And the pronghorn differs from the Africa horned animals in that it drops its horns and they are not singular. One would think the Africa horned animals had been given horns for protection, and that is true for some of them. But most horned animals in Africa use their keen sense of smell, hearing, eyesight, speed, quickness and hoofs as their defense against predators
Plus some god given abilities, like the Impala always gives birth at mid day, when the predators are asleep. Things like that.

In regards to the Jacob goat, Dr Mike might be able to shed some light on this animal, as I am told they are mentioned in religious teaching, but I do not have that knowledge or information

Sir, this does not answer your original question, but it is all I have and I would not have posted since I am unable to answer your question specifically, if I had not been asked to do so.

Best Regards

Jamila

p.s. as George mentioned the Fallow Deer is here but it did not originate here
p.s p.s. Mum just advised me that their is a small group of Red Deer that still exist in Morocco and they are in a reserve and of course protected.

Jamila,

Having missed the last polycerate sheep in Africa by a few years (I am old; but not THAT old) :? , I consider myself unqualified to expatiate on this particular subject. I do seem to recall that the Jacob sheep originated in the Old World and not in Africa. This particular breed has generated some interest in recent years with the report that they are carriers of a genetic deficit resulting in GM2 gangliosidosis, thus providing a model for Tay-Sachs disease. This was of some interest to me as I had at one time been tapped to go to the Univ of Wisc to work on inborn errors of metabolism. I opted instead to go to UCSF to work in the field of tumorogenesis in the Dept of Ob-Gyn. So many years ago. Almost as many years ago as the last polycerate sheep were in Africa. :shock:

GeorgeS,
That is one very impressive buffalo !!! Not sure what the Fallow situation is in SA but we had them on the South Isle when I operated Southern Alps Outfitters, out of Wanaka NZ, and they are a very cool deer, and have massive antlers for the size of their body !!!

Jamila,
I always enjoy reading your posts......................... and learn something everytime !
E

Wow!
I really appreciate the posts and knowledge on this forum.
I am a lowly cabinet maker but replies like the ones here really get my interest up.
Can anyone steer me to more information?
Thanks to everybody.

Back