Returned for 2nd trip

Divernhunter

Handloader
Apr 1, 2009
I just returned from spending about a month in South Africa.
Shot a complete spiral slam. Got some other excellent animals.
Used a 338Win mag with 225gr Swift A-Frames again and a 257Weatherby with 100gr TTSX and 120gr A-Frames shooting to almost the same spot. The monkeys, one bird and yellow mongoose were shot with a suppressed 22RF and mostly sub-sonic ammo.
I will post several sets of photos in different posts.
Ranges were from 250 to 450 yards except in a stand for Baboons/monkeys and a yellow mongoose.
I wanted a wide Kudu to go along with the more narrow and deep curled one I got last trip. I found one and it is 30" tip to tip.

Attachments

• Black Springbok.JPG
    Black Springbok.JPG
    347.7 KB · Views: 3,216
  • Zebra.JPG
    Zebra.JPG
    446.4 KB · Views: 3,216
  • White Springbok.JPG
    White Springbok.JPG
    215.2 KB · Views: 3,216
  • Common Springbok.JPG
    Common Springbok.JPG
    268.2 KB · Views: 3,216
  • Black Wildebeest.JPG
    Black Wildebeest.JPG
    336.1 KB · Views: 3,216
  • Yellow Mongoose.JPG
    Yellow Mongoose.JPG
    334.5 KB · Views: 3,216
Definitely some fine specimens. Looking forward to the remainder of your photos.

Every time someone posts photos of Africa I start getting the itch to go back. Then I ask myself, do my girls really need to go to college??

Nicely done, a month of enjoyment to be sure. (y)

College is highly overrated. :mrgreen: Africa is undoubtedly underrated for serious hunters.

DrMike, the worst part is I sorta mentioned a few years ago to my oldest daughter that an African hunt for she and I would be a great college graduation present. She's holding me to it!!!

Ah, yes, those suggestions to daughters have a way of becoming unbreakable promises. Wouldn't trade the joy of daughters for anything, though they do manage (even at this late stage of life) to keep me facing the wolf at the door. Good thing that I'm still armed!

Congrats on your trip.

I would like to hear about how the Swift's and TTSX's worked for you. Any recovered bullets?

Here is my spiral slam. I already had a Kudu with a deep twist and wanted one that was wide. This one is 30" tip to tip. The Kudu, Eland and Nyala where taken with a 338win mag using 225gr Swift A-Frames(Sorry Nosler). The bushbuck was taken with a 257W and 100gr TTSX bullets(again sorry Nosler)
The Kudu was taken at 331 yards with one shot.
The Eland was taken at about 175 Yards and one shot.
The Nyala was taken while at a fast walk just as it was getting dark at 280 yards in a strong wind. We spent all day trying to find this one which we had seen when shooting the Bushbuck. I passed on others that were under 25 yards and just standing there since my PH was certain we could get this one. I am glad I waited and did not shoot the lesser animals.
The Bushbuck was taken at 280 yards and took a few minutes to die from a low lung and heart shot. That was a nervous few minutes for me. The last thing we wanted to do was look for a wounded mad animal in the brush. He did not make it to the heavy brush ---thankfully.

Attachments

• Kudu.JPG
    Kudu.JPG
    326.3 KB · Views: 3,099
  • Bushbuck.JPG
    Bushbuck.JPG
    342.1 KB · Views: 3,099
  • Eland 1.JPG
    Eland 1.JPG
    324 KB · Views: 3,099
  • Nyala 2.JPG
    Nyala 2.JPG
    239.4 KB · Views: 3,099
Lovely animals. Nothing wrong with the A-Frame--it is an excellent bullet.

Great photos, it's been 12 months now since I got back and I don't think a day has gone by when I haven't thought about going back.

Back