African Slams

Blkram

Handloader
Nov 25, 2013
I was wondering how many on here have completed any of the African Slams?

Such as the Spiral Horn Slam, Big 7, Tiny 10, etc.

Any advice or tips?

I am starting on the Spiral Horn Slam next May with the 4 available species in SA (bushbuck, eland, kudu and nyala), and will work towards a sitatunga on my next trip. Not sure when or where in the cards I will be able to do bongo and mountain nyala, but it is a dream!

Susan will be going after the Springbok Slam in May (Common, black, white and copper). Recently read about a gold springbok being harvested. Got to check this out more.

Not sure if there is a lechwe slam (red, black and kafue and nile) but am thinking on the next trip to try this in Zambia, or at least the first three. Just not yet sure on where to go for the Nile subspecies, having only just learned that they exist.

Gil,

I have no advise, but just wanted to say I think this is so great. Congratulations to you and Susan, what a great adventure for you guys.

I was wondering if you were also going to take your bows and try to bring something down with the bow, you are Susan are very good bow hunters.

Susan and Gil, someone alerted me to your post so wanted to respond.

Best of luck on your trip and your slam quest.

It is more than possible that mum has completed a slam, but she never set out to do it, so I dont know, although she has hunted all the ones you have mentioned.

She has hunted the Mtn Nyala and the Marco Polo, and feels they are the two very difficult but satisfying hunts. I think the Marco Polo, Mtn Nyala, and even the Nile Lechwe have gotten a bit expensive. The Bongo and Sitatungo will also cost a bit.

I have not personally hunted the five that I mentioned, but my mum has and dad hunted Bongo in CAR, and was with mum when she hunted the Marco Polo but he did not hunt. I think she was with her father and was my age when she hunted the Mtn Nyala and Nile Lechwe.

She has also mentioned to us girls that even thought the Marco Polo and the Bongo hunts are completely different, they might be the most difficult hunts she has ever taken. Some of the difficulties is where you hunt them and the conditions of the travel, camps, etc in those countries, as they are 4th world countries, at best. In some cases it is dangerous for those from the west, due to unrest in the countries where these animals reside. Plus it is even more dangerous for Susan than yourself, even if you are with her.

You can still hunt Bongo in Cameroon and possibly CAR, but that country is a bit unstable. The Mountain Nyala can still be hunted in Ethiopia, but they only hand out a few hunting permits per year so it has gotten expensive. I believe you can still hunt the Nile Lechwe in both Ethiopia and Sudan

I am very excited for you guys

Best Regards

Jamila

Thanks ladies!

Appreciate the replies!

I am taking both a compound bow and my recurve to hunt with. Main goal being the nyala, but would also use if given the opportunity on the kudu, bushbuck and fallow deer. Saving the eland for the 338-06. A springbok with the bow would be exciting too. Susan was told to bring her recurve for a chance at a non-trophy impala or warthog.

We are getting excited!

Would be great if we could get a chance to meet in person with either of you when we are there in May!

I completed the Spiral Slam this year. If I wanted a copper Springbok(and I do not) I could have completed the Springbok slam.

Blkram":1xwpgbsj said:
Thanks ladies!

Appreciate the replies!

I am taking both a compound bow and my recurve to hunt with. Main goal being the nyala, but would also use if given the opportunity on the kudu, bushbuck and fallow deer. Saving the eland for the 338-06. A springbok with the bow would be exciting too. Susan was told to bring her recurve for a chance at a non-trophy impala or warthog.

We are getting excited!

Would be great if we could get a chance to meet in person with either of you when we are there in May!

Just some quick thoughts I will share with you. Obviously nothing is always the same, but

Susan, you should not have any problems with the Impala and Warthog and I hope you have a wonderful hunt

Gil, The springbok can be a challenge by bow, Eland, practice quick shots and possibly use a solid as your second shot, Bushback's will attack humans when wounded, Kudo will be a good challenge for you via bow, Nyala, you will probably set up by a water hole. The long hair on these fellows can mis lead you as to where to hit them. Most are hit to low. Fallow should be your easiest hunt of this group. If possible, the Gemsbok would also be a nice one for you to hunt, if it is the horns that interest you.

What a great hunt for you guys. April does not go to Africa any more, but I still do when I can get out of London, so maybe I will be there in May, way to soon for me to even have a clue. I had no idea I would be spending this much time in China, so who know where my mum will have be by next May ha

Gil and Susan, it is your money and your decision, but I do want to caution you that some African countries are very unstable and animals like the Bongo can be very expensive and even dangerous to those from North America. If you want a thrill go to Rio and hang glide off the Copa mountain down to Copa beach. I did this when I visited my parents in Argentina last time and as I was running up to the edge I kept saying, I am going to die, I am going to die HA

Best Regards,

Jamila

Africa Huntress":3cmw732a said:
If you want a thrill go to Rio and hang glide off the Copa mountain down to Copa beach. I did this when I visited my parents in Argentina last time and as I was running up to the edge I kept saying, I am going to die, I am going to die HA

Best Regards,

Jamila

And you obviously didn't die! :lol: Yeah, that can be a thrill, as well. (y)

This threads on Africa really get me excited! Hopefully one day I can make it over there, but until then I'll just read the old African books, and read y'alls post. Good luck to you and your wife! Can't wait to see some pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did the spiral slam this year.
I could have finished the springbok slam but the copper did not interest me that much and it is high priced.

Would love to hear your adventures in completing the spiral horn slam; where and who you hunted with, the rifle and load used for each, and to see your photos!

I think you've picked the best of African Game animals for their beauty and your trip Gil. Nothing in the World can compare to hunting like in Africa!

Best of luck to you on your guest, Susan will love it too. I had fond memories of all of them, and many more....... Wish money was no object so I could live out that dream, I still haven't given up on it, or taking a long walk about in Africa.

I hunted with Iliwa Safaris near Port Elizabeth in SA. This was my 2nd hunt with them. My daughter and I went in 2013 but I was alone in 2017. Rifles I used were a Ruger tang safety 338win mag with 225gr Swift A-Frame hand loads and a Weatherby MKV in 257W using 120gr Swift A-Frames and 100gr Barnes TTSX hand loads. Scopes were Leupold with duplex reticle.
All were one shot kills. Tracking was 80 yards or less.

I will also post my springbok photos.

Attachments

• Kudu.JPG
    Kudu.JPG
    326.3 KB · Views: 3,156
  • Bushbuck.JPG
    Bushbuck.JPG
    342.1 KB · Views: 3,156
  • Eland 1.JPG
    Eland 1.JPG
    324 KB · Views: 3,156
  • Nyala 2.JPG
    Nyala 2.JPG
    239.4 KB · Views: 3,156
  • DSC_0210.JPG
    DSC_0210.JPG
    243 KB · Views: 3,156
Beautiful animals and nice mounts!

Is the rug on the wall behind the kudu a blue wildebeast?

Divernhunter":2djphf8s said:
I hunted with Iliwa Safaris near Port Elizabeth in SA. This was my 2nd hunt with them. My daughter and I went in 2013 but I was alone in 2017. Rifles I used were a Ruger tang safety 338win mag with 225gr Swift A-Frame hand loads and a Weatherby MKV in 257W using 120gr Swift A-Frames and 100gr Barnes TTSX hand loads. Scopes were Leupold with duplex reticle.
All were one shot kills. Tracking was 80 yards or less.

I will also post my springbok photos.

Quite a collection. Lots of memories in the pictures, to be sure.

Back