Cape Buff & Plains Game

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Where should I look, for a cape buffalo hunt, along with a chance for a few plains game animals? Particularly interested in gemsbok or kudu.

Namibia? Zimbabwe?

Thanks! Guy

Look at a web site called AfricaHunting.com to is loaded with information and the people on there will gladly help with any questions you would have

I've met some people from South Africa recently that highly recommend Zambia as a good country to hunt in, and is one of the safest countries in Africa to go to for hunting or travel. I am thinking of it for my next safari for leopard, sitatunga and the lechwe slam (red, black and kafue).

Namibia is a good choice too. Zimbabwe, Mozambique and Tanzania are other choices for good buffalo, from my readings, but get more expensive as well.

Some of the others here have been to these countries and can give better first hand experience.

I figure it might be the very best way I can dispose of all these 300 grain Nosler Partitions that are cluttering up my loading bench... :grin:

Shooters Pro Shop had a GREAT sale on 'em a while back, and I stocked up...

Might take me a couple of years to save for it. And I was considering the "usual" plains game animals... But cape buff... That just seems like such an awesome hunt!

Todd6336 - yes - I'm checking elsewhere. Starting my research. Really value the input I've received here on the Nosler Forum over the years. Even though we don't seem to have a lot of hunters here who've hunted Africa, I look forward to the responses from those who have.

Guy

Guy, not sure if you've ever ventured over to the Accurate reloading forum or not. A lot of information on African hunting over there. Much like the Nosler forum, it seems to attract a more genuine group of people vs some of the other forums.

Yes I have Lefty, and thank you.

Your trip to Africa is one of the reasons I really want to go... But, if I'm over there and don't hunt Cape Buff? Dang...

Guy

I have been to both. Quality Gemsbok and Kudu in Namibia. Namibia is a little easier to get to in my opinion, the economy is better and more stable currency. Great buffalo in the Caprivi Strip.

Guy if you didn't hunt buffalo you'd never know what to do with those 300 grainers:). I saw a few but never had the desire, or the funds. I'd really like to go back with my daughters for some more plains game action again though.

Ya, I have to admit, a buffalo hunt might be out of reach financially.

Plains game though, is something I could do and enjoy! I'd still have that pile of 300 gr Partitions hanging around though...

Guy

You are not losing your mind Rodger. Same BS, different day. She has told me that she did make sure Guy had gotten the information she posted before deleting it, as she is such a sweet girl, her intent is to not create problems for the forum or to distract from guy's thread.

Guy, a couple of things she mentioned is something you should think about as I know you enjoy taking pictures and are also very diverse in your activities. Tiger fishing is a kick, plus the animals in and on the banks of the river is a photographers dream. She mentioned Cape Town and Victoria Falls, both worth visiting, when you have already traveled so far. I concur with her that the Caprivi area in Namibia is another beautiful place in Africa and they have good Buffalo Herds there. Guy, if possible a Buffalo hunt is something, like your Grizzly hunt, that you will not soon forget, but a plains game hunt is also something that you wont soon forget either. Your 375 H & H is an excellent gun for both DG and PG., was you thinking about taking just it or it and what ? I hope you get there!

Never been there, but a granddaughter of the man many people on a different forum knew before he passed away, works as a bush pilot in Africa, and I always wanted to spend time with her on the veranda of the hotel at Victoria Falls that her grandfather met and helped a total stranger. They became friends for life. They are both gone now, but I loved the story about that meeting. Charles, Tom, April, Aleena all know, know the story as well.

I thought of it Guy because of your 375 H & H. which was the caliber of the rifle in the story.

For those who feel Jamila is too young to give advise, she was born and raised on a game ranch in Namibia and has hunted several of the other countries in Africa.

Guy, maybe take your 375 H & H and your 30-06, two rifles that have served you well. I would take my 300 and 375 H & H. However I am the first to admit that I would like to see Africa and even hunt Africa but for some reason it is not at the top of my bucket list.

Ya, buffalo may be out of my reach financially. But I do want to hunt Africa. Gemsbok above all else calls me.

Jamila did post here, then took it down and PM'd me. Thank you African Huntress!

If/when I go, I'll likely just take one rifle. If cape buffalo is going to happen, obviously the .375 Model 70 will finally have something to do!

If it's just plains game, I'm likely to take either my Ruger Number One in .375, or the 30-06 Remington 700.

Some may not know, but some years ago gunwriter John Barsness owned my .375 Number One and took it to Africa at least once. He killed cape buff, gemsbok, and other game with it. I've got that rifle now and am not sure I'm crazy enough to try a single-shot rifle on cape buff, hence the .375 Model 70 repeater. But honestly, I like shooting the single-shot Ruger more. It just "fits" me real well.

Then there's the 30-06 that just seems to kill everything that gets in it's way....

I want to go to Africa. I think I've got some medical issues resolved, permitting travel again. Not in the near future, but probably 2019.

Regards, Guy

I am a big fan of Namibia. I think it is the easiest destination to get to and has great Gemsbok. Of course, I am a 30-06 fan and your 200 grain Partition will work wonderfully. 200-400 yard shots are common with this animal. They are herd creatures that browse grasslands. In my experience, they stick together and move away from potential threats 200-400 yards. Lots of fun to hunt them and they can be found in very diverse landscapes. If you are taking your wife, Windhoek is great for shopping and there are very nice bed/breakfasts there. Etosha National Park is very nice and going to the Skeleton Coast is fun. If going to Zim, Victoria Falls is great, floating the Zambezi River is great, and of course there is good hunting also.

Guy, take the #1. :wink: My wife thinks I'm nuts but my dream hunt was to take a Cape Buffalo with My Ruger #1 .375 H&H; later added a .404 Jeffery and .416 Rigby #1's to the list. Well I passed the 79 mark yesterday and am heading rapidly towards the big 80 so I guess that will never happen unless I win the lottery. :roll: At least I can still do an elk hunt. (y)
Paul B.

I would try Nick Nolte Hunting Safaris. Nick and Isabel operate in Namibia. Great kudu and gemsbok. Great people, too. I have hunted with them twice and am going again next year. Namibia is beautiful, full of game, and a clean environment. The air is so sweet it's almost like food. I would be happy to discuss.

KellerBull":13md94tl said:
I would try Nick Nolte Hunting Safaris. Nick and Isabel operate in Namibia. Great kudu and gemsbok. Great people, too. I have hunted with them twice and am going again next year. Namibia is beautiful, full of game, and a clean environment. The air is so sweet it's almost like food. I would be happy to discuss.

Welcome to the forum

Namibia is also my favorite country on the dark continent, good suggestion.

but--as mentioned before, there is many beautiful places to see in Africa and so much to do, like tiger fishing, either before or after your hunt. And you have already come so far, travel wise.

Guy the Nitro Express forum also has a lot of information too in case you have not checked it out. Why does jamila have to keep taking her post down?? I have no idea what might have went wrong, or if someone is causing her grief. I do enjoy her post and her wealth of knowledge on here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't given up on this. Plans are moving forward, slowly.

Possibly summer of 2019... I hope I can make this happen!

Guy

One of the members on the Shooters Forum has started a web page just about hunting in Africa and thought you might be interested in it.

https://www.bullet-behavior.com/t

Weird name but I recommend you visit it just for a look see.
Right now if you sign up it's free but there will be a charge to join latter since he wants to discourage rift wrath from trolling.

Back