Africa or Texas or Florida

hunternyny

Handloader
Feb 6, 2012
My wife and I are considering going to Africa next year instead of our annual Montana hunt

Two questions have come up in our, very early, stages of planning the trip

Which countries in Africa are considered safe countries for Americans to visit and hunt

also, a friend suggested we just go to Texas, as it would be cheaper , easier and you can hunt some of the same animals. The wife and I can not quite get our head into "just going to Texas", but maybe I am missing something and I think some on the forum have hunted Africa game in Texas. If anyone here has done so would you be kind enough to give us your opinion on hunting Africa game animals in Texas

Jamila, if you have time I would certainly appreciate knowing your opinion in reference to "which country or countries"

John, hopefully somebody who has hunted Africa, recently, will respond to your thread as my information is dated and things can chance fast in Africa

We had good hunts in Zambia, Zimbabwe, Namibia and RSA. Some good hunting in Zambia but you pay extra for it. Zimbabwe and RSA were the least expensive at that time. We liked the country of Namibia the best overall, but felt we had better hunting opportunities in Zambia----but, as I said, things may have changed.

I have visited the OX Ranch in Texas but did not hunt there, They had excellent accommodations, the country is beautiful and they had an amazing assortment of animals that one could hunt, but in my humble opinion, it is NOT Africa. Not even close. But that is just one old ladies opinion.

Jamila received information today in regards to the forum that disappointed her and I dont think she will be posting on the open forum, but possibly she will see your thread and pm you John.

I hope you and your wife do get to Africa, you will not be disappointed, all the best to you both

In doing the research for upcoming trip to Africa, I found that Africa is still better priced, including the flights, than hunting in Texas, and you will get the real experience. i also looked at New Zealand and Argentina.

South Africa is pretty safe, but we were advised by friends from there to stay with our PH in Johannesburg at all times. They said Namibia is safe, and that Zambia is probably the safest country in Africa at this time.

What animals are on your wishlists for you and your wife?

Gil, April, thanks guys, your information is appreciated.

Gil. I am interested in Kudu, Eland, Sable, Lechwe and my wife is interested in Leopard and Zebra I would take the 340 WBY and she would like to the the 270 WBY, but dont know if the 270 is allowed for Leopard and Zebra. We have just started thinking about it and have not done any research to date. She may change her mind about the leopard now that she knows she can not bring any part of the leopard back into the U.S.

Sorry John, as I mentioned to you yesterday, Jamila received information in regards to the forum that disappointed her and she is not going to post at this time.

I did however speak to Charlee, as she still has not sold her business in Africa and she said the minimum you will be allowed to use in Zambia for Leopard is 300 "something". She said the larger the caliber the better for both Leopard and Zebra. She said there is some huge Leopards in Zambia.

I agree Gil. Hunting "IN" Africa is an experience that can not be fully explained or appreciated until one has done so. Hunting animals from Africa is not the same as hunting animals in Africa.

I am so glad that you and your wife are going to go to Africa Gil. I wish you guys the best of luck.
Same with you and your wife John, I hope you guys do go.

When you get to be as old as I am, it is what you didn't do that you regret, not what you did do.

Very nice!

I cannot answer your question on the 270 Wby for leopard, but I do believe that there is a minimum caliber requirement for dangerous game of either 9.3x62 or 375 H&H. Should not be too hard to verify.

Such a shame to not be allowed to bring a leopard back to the US.

I'll pm you some contacts. These guys have some great prices on sable, and their references were impeccable from both the husbands and the wives.

Gil
April

I want to thank you both for taking the time to help us. It is appreciated!

I am sincerely sorry to hear about Jamila. She is such a sweet girl. I do remember Charlee. I believe she was originally from Alaska and a friends of Charle's. Tell her thank you.

Gil, how kind of you to pm the information to me, thank you.

We are still a long way off from making a final decision, but it is definitely something we would like to do

No worries!

I spent three months doing the research before booking our safari. Lots to consider!

First, let me say that after further investigation, I too am disappointed in why Jamila will not be posting on the open forum. She will be missed

However, I do want to thank both April and Gil.

April for the information requested by my wife

And Gil went way out of his way to assist us. Tremendously helpful information Gil and we thank you. That was VERY kind of you. Thank you!

My opinion is hunting in Africa can not be duplicated anywhere in the World other then in those Country's which is makes up!

That's like saying eating in Mexican Village in Detroit is the same as the various States of mainland Mexico, or the Yucatan Peninsula MX. It's not the same and never will be.

I haven't been there since 2005, in '04 I lived in Joberg for a month and a half. I walked most of the time everywhere and never had a issue, quite the opposite actually. A friendly hello always brought a smile and a face that would light up! I used to walk as far as to Sandton, which was a very nice town with a beautiful shopping mall and I enjoyed the walks I used to take there.

The only issues I ever had was with a few drunk and frankly intoxicated Rugby players at the bars! I drove from RSA to Tanzania for over seven days and enjoyed every mile of it! There camp grounds were as nice as our here and some a lot nicer in the US, and way better then the gravel RV/Camp grounds in some parks of Alaska back in 2000, and '01.

A lot of what we read here is not what goes down there, but that doesn't mean things can get out of hand and get you in trouble? Sad but true, but I've never let dictate my life and I'm sure you'd find it the same. They are all lovely Country's to travel too, and visit, it will leave you wanting to come back, and in some ways make your heart miss a beat for the sights, and sounds and just taking in what you see.

I'd go if I were anyone thinking about it, and never look back.... You'll realize you're not in Texas anymore from the moment you get off the Airplane!

I Was in South Africa on a plains game hunt in september. I had a excellent experience and i can not wait to return i felt perfectly safe. I highly recommend giving up a western us hunt and going to africa. you can pm me with any questions you might have. good luck on your planning it is half the fun

Cole, thank you for the information and thank you Todd for the offer

Jamila, and Gil have sent me some excellent information and at this time we are looking at Namibia and Zambia

Charles, I would really like to visit Victoria Falls, as well. Your friend Charlee has assured me that if I stay at the right hotel and watch the animals come to the river in the evening I will not be sorry for having taken the time to do so. She also gave us several "must see" places around or close to Cape Town

April, I want to thank you as well and we may just find a way to work in a couple of your ideas. BUT and I think most members here will understand, we will not be able to spend 6 to 8 weeks in Africa and do everything you and your husband did, but believe me, my wife likes your style and we wish we could!!!!!! LOL

If you make it to Zambia, I will be very interested in hearing of your experience as that is looking to be my second safari destination at this time, for sitatunga, red, black and kafue lechwe. Would love to add leopard to that hunt! Will have to see...

It is more expensive there than Namibia (or South Africa: day rates about 4 times higher), but should be a very memorable experience!

will do Gil.

So far from the information I am getting from Jamila and April is that Zambia has some excellent sitatunga hunting--but--- those two are so funny. I know they are serious and they speak of these things like we talk about going to the store for a 6 pack of beer----They are suggesting we hunt in Zambia or Namibia for everything but Sitatunga and then go to Cameroon and hunt Sitatunga. They say the animals are larger, we will be guided by the local pygmy's, which is an experience, the hunt is like hunting "old" Africa and you will also see mountain gorilla's.

Sounds good to me, we will see how much money we can save from the wife's second job lol

Sadly, Cameroon still has a travel alert attached to it by the State Dept. But, if that is ever lifted, it is a wonderful place to explore.

Zambia is on average, more money, but it is as close as you can come these days to "going on safari", as it was done in yesteryear and they have some very nice animals

John, Gill, others, if the opportunity arises for you to go to any of the countries not currently on the state departments travel alert list, you will be fine. Even in some of the countries where there is "spots" of unrest, your PH will pick you up from the airport and will avoid those areas.

Gil, your desire to hunt Sitatunga and Lechwe is exciting. The Sitatunga is a tough hunt but worth every minute of it. Gil what animals are you hoping to hunt with a bow ?

April,

Really looking to hunt the nyala with the bow as it seems the one most likely for success with the bow on a spot and stalk hunt. That being said, I will be taking it along for all of the animals should the opportunity arise. Is really going to depend on the particular circumstances of each opportunity, and will play it as it unfolds. Each experience will be enjoyed no metter the final outcome!

I have told the PH that we do not want to spend our 14 days in a blind, one or two will be fine, here or there to give bad ankles a rest, that we want to get out and see more of the country and the game, and looking forward to experiencing the trackers follow up the targeted species. My tracking skills are not bad, but will not even come close to theirs and I want to experience this and learn. Going to be a lot of fun!

Gil, I knew you were looking at going to Africa :wink: and now it sounds like you and Susan have taken the plunge I am so happy for you (y).
I was wondering when the dates of the hunt are and what are you taking besides your bow for weapons?

Blessings,
Dan

We are going in May (14 days hunting in the East Cape South Africa with Allan Schenk Safaris), and I will be taking my Remington 700 LH Custom 338-06 and Susan is taking her Steyr Mountain Classic in 7mm-08, along with the compound and recurve bows.

Blkram":2033isap said:
We are going in May (14 days hunting in the East Cape South Africa with Allan Schenk Safaris), and I will be taking my Remington 700 LH Custom 338-06 and Susan is taking her Steyr Mountain Classic in 7mm-08, along with the compound and recurve bows.

OUTSTANDING! (y)

Best of luck!

Guy

Back