Big Bore.

elkhunternm

Handloader
Jan 10, 2017
This is my .450 Howell on a CZ 550 action. The little case next to the loaded .450 is a 7x57.
The bullet is the .458" 450 grain Barnes TSX,powder is Benchmark (74.0 grains) and a CCI 250 Mag primer.
YaZUiHS.jpg

Picture of the rifle. Going to put a Leupold 1.5x5 on it in the future.
3iDkQ9i.jpg

50 yards with iron sights. Problem is,the group is 5-6" to the left of where I was aiming.
pTbvQbG.jpg

Finally,a .222 Rem case with the 450 grain Barnes TSX. Just to show how big the bullet is.
CrIz8uz.jpg

Nice. That is a Big Bore.
What kind of speed are you getting with the 450 gr bullet?

JD338

You might shrink that group if you seat the bullet deeper. Barnes bullets like lots of bullet jump.
NOT saying it is a bad group. I just see the bullet with most all the relief rings showing.
What are you planning to hunt with it?

Yup, that's a true "Big Bore" and a mighty fine looking rifle. Sights adjustable for windage? I'd think that rear sight could be drifted over a bit to correct the windage issue. Maybe?

How does that cartridge compare with other big .45 cal cartridges like the .458 Win Mag, .450 Ackley, .458 Lott, .460 Weatherby, etc?

Guy

Do not know how fast the bullet is going. Afraid of hitting the chronograph. ;)

It is for a cape buffalo hunt in the near future. Going to try the 500 grain NP and SAF along with the 450 grain SAF in it when funds allow it.

Could adjust the rear sight,but would rather save my shoulder instead and get a scope. ;)
The .450 Howell is supposed to duplicate the .458 Win,but at lower pressures.

Pipsqueak round. :twisted:

How about the .470 Capstick? i used one on my last Cape buffalo.

Here it is next to a .270 Win. and a .22-250.
470_270_22250.jpg

George

:lol: You must have used solids. :lol:

I shot a jackrabbit with a .25-06 once and blew it in two!

George

Used a 500 grain Hornady DGX,the muzzle velocity was @ 2000 fps and the rabbit was about 100 yards away.

Nice shot!

And I think you had "enough gun" :grin:

Now, go clobber a buff please! (y)

Guy

Will do!

Going to put a Leopold 3x on the .450 when the Warne ring mounts come in,hoping Friday or Saturday. Then I'll take it out and sight in the iron sights and then the scope. Bought a gunsmithing punch and hammer set to move the rear sights.

The Warme's are not the QD style cause I have no intention of removing the scope.

JD338,I just chronographed 3 rounds of the 450 gr Barnes load and it is getting an average of 2215 fps. Not real hot,but if I wanted too,I could get up to about 2300 +/-.

Yes Guy,it is. Just for chuckles and grins,I ran the numbers and it is getting 4903 ft lbs of energy. Not to bad for a 450 grain bullet at a rather sedate velocity.

new guy here first post and even though this is a OLD thread elkhunternm, set the chronograph at 5 yards and you will have no issue that is what I do and I shoot a 458 win mag plus P. you might try AA2230 powder like we do in our 458's less pressure and a lot more velocity, the length you are seating them looks good and you can easily push the 450TSX to 2331 fps as I do 5300 lbs of wallop good luck oh and the TDX will take buff very nicely

Back