Namibia

noslerpartition

Handloader
May 26, 2018
Two friends of mine are just boarding the plane to Namibia, both with ammo I built. Would have loved to join them, but pocket-money is a little short...
One takes a Sauer 202 in 8x68S with 200 gr AccuBond, the other a Sako in 300 wsm with 165 ballistic tips. When we decided on the BT we thought it was for Scottish red stags, hope the bullet performes well. Accuracy is fine, so I guess he can put the BT where it belongs.
Can't wait to hear the stories and see the pictures!
97ebe8d92af633c6048139d8d346b1a3.jpg
5c4e9720c716aac196f6b15200953477.jpg

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Either cartridge will work well. I certainly like both. I do like heavier bullets in my 300 WSM. More recently, I've been shooting 200 grain ABs and 200 grain Sierra GKs in that cartridge with excellent results. My 8X68S has produced some fine accuracy with both the 196 grain Oryx and the 200 grain A-Frame. It is a sweet cartridge that is almost unknown this side of the pond.

the 8 x68S is an excellent plains game caliber . No experience with the 300WSM

Namibia is m favorite country in Africa to hunt

Best of luck to your friends----Do you know what they plan to hunt ?

Best of luck to your buddies!

I've been impressed with the 165 Ballistic Tip on elk, black bear, mule deer, but that was at 30-06 velocity. It is a tougher bullet than many imagine.

Also - several years ago a buddy of mine took his 300 Win mag to South Africa for a plains game hunt with 180 gr Ballistic Tips, and 180 gr Partitions. Interestingly he and his professional hunter were more impressed with the quick kills from the Ballistic Tip bullets.

Regards, Guy

They go to place they've been to last year. It will be a reduction hunt, because it did not rain enough. Plainsgame, more or less whatever they encounter I guess.
Will post, when I get the stories!
Europe":13fqfdaa said:

Namibia is m favorite country in Africa to hunt

Best of luck to your friends----Do you know what they plan to hunt ?

I thought the longer bullets take too much powder-space in the wsm? Might just give them a try.

Yes, the 8x68s is a fine cartridge. The recoil is ok, too. Said by a lefty shooting a right-hand stock.
They used it last year with the AB and were quite happy!
DrMike":1gsgshnt said:
Either cartridge will work well. I certainly like both. I do like heavier bullets in my 300 WSM. More recently, I've been shooting 200 grain ABs and 200 grain Sierra GKs in that cartridge with excellent results. My 8X68S has produced some fine accuracy with both the 196 grain Oryx and the 200 grain A-Frame. It is a sweet cartridge that is almost unknown this side of the pond.

So far, he is VERY happy with the BT in 300 wsm!
e65f93b01fe67e2de67148ac353bbdae.jpg
bbb18da034ed68d1e0cd044afd29d74c.jpg

Still happy. Springbock went right down from 540 yards.
So did zebra and wildebeest, but I don't know the distances.

Great report! Sounds like everything is working as needed.. Great pictures and I am looking forward to hearing about how they all worked. Those cull hunts sound like a great time!

Europe":2rj417yq said:

Well, technically if you have shot the 300 H&H you've used the WSM as well. They are just about as identical as it gets for the most part.. :mrgreen:

They were very happy, had a great time and success.
Both loads worked as expected, though the wsm came to it's limits just short of 700 yards (as predicted).
Just saw pictures and had a short report by phone, but since he is out of bullets, we will spend some time in my cellar soon :)

Last weekend he shot one of our little roe deer with the 8x68s from 90 yards - broke 3 ribs entering, 7 exiting - again as predicted :)
I will post some more pictures soon!

Back