Shoemaker in Africa!

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Saw on Facebook that Phil Shoemaker, famous Alaskan brown bear guide, had a terrific cape buff hunt with his family. So cool!

Lots of jokes about him using his 9mm pistol! No - he didn't do that!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

He’s a heckuva cool dude. I’m always watching for his writings. Just a no nonsense sorta fella.

Yup!

And thanks for being the first person to respond to my post from over a year ago. :grin:

Phil was really great with me. I had saved what I thought was enough for a "big bear hunt" in Alaska. Had no idea who to call, except... Phil Shoemaker. I'd heard that he was The Best Alaskan brown bear guide and I liked what I saw of his writings. So... I called him.

Within a few minutes we'd determined that I couldn't afford his hunt. But... He was gracious and stayed on the phone with me for 20 - 30 minutes, helping me figure out if I wanted a coastal brown bear hunt or a grizzly hunt, and an awful lot of other info about hunting the great bears. Then he spent time telling me about hunting grizzlies and selecting a guide and a hunt.

If I was a fan of Phil Shoemaker before, I've been a much bigger fan of his since.

Regards, Guy

I have also read Phil Shoemaker's stories about hunting the big bears. I've got a lot of respect for him and what he says.

JD338

Guy Miner":3plgzyv4 said:
Yup!

And thanks for being the first person to respond to my post from over a year ago. :grin:

Phil was really great with me. I had saved what I thought was enough for a "big bear hunt" in Alaska. Had no idea who to call, except... Phil Shoemaker. I'd heard that he was The Best Alaskan brown bear guide and I liked what I saw of his writings. So... I called him.

Within a few minutes we'd determined that I couldn't afford his hunt. But... He was gracious and stayed on the phone with me for 20 - 30 minutes, helping me figure out if I wanted a coastal brown bear hunt or a grizzly hunt, and an awful lot of other info about hunting the great bears. Then he spent time telling me about hunting grizzlies and selecting a guide and a hunt.

If I was a fan of Phil Shoemaker before, I've been a much bigger fan of his since.

Regards, Guy

Man, I’m sorry Guy, I didn’t realize it was a year ago.

He did much the same with me when i was retiring. I realized that his hunts were above my pay grade but it didn’t stop him from being really cool.

Same for D’Arcy Echols. His 20k + rifles are outta my league but I can call him pretty much anytime and get honest, no nonsense rifle advice.

Fellas like that are good to know.

Back