Notice: This site is not mobile friendly, we recommend you download tapatalk for a mobile friendly experience of our forum.

It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:27 am

Shop Nosler

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: South Africa Hunt Booked. :)
PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:08 am 

Goodness! Did anyone make it to Africa since Spring of 2019?

Results?

I love seeing the photos and reading the stories about African hunting trips.

I understand - might be wrong - that right now all of South Africa is still locked down, no foreign tourists/hunters coming into the country. Anyone know if that's true?

Guy

Last edited by Guy Miner on Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: Wow! Over a year and No Africa Posts!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 4:55 am 

Well. :)

July 2021. I've reserved a 10-day hunt, South Africa, for plains game.

Looks like the weather is quite nice then, highs in the 60's and 70's, lows in the 20's and 30's.

Hoping to hunt gemsbok, kudu, wildebeest, etc... gemsbok is the only one I've really got my heart set on.

The PH advised me to bring EIGHTY rounds of rifle ammo! Said we may do some culling because he's had so few hunters this year. :)

30-06 Rem 700 CDL, with the 168 gr Nosler E-Tips or 165 gr Nosler Partitions

Or perhaps:

375 H&H Ruger Number One, with the 260 grain Nosler Accubonds

We will see. I only want to take one rifle, probably two scopes though. And of course, my camera.

Pretty excited. Now I have to wait a year.

Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:42 am 

Congratulations Guy! That is going to be an exciting hunt for sure. And the opportunity to do some cull hunting is an added bonus. Nice opportunity to test bullets! 80 rounds seems excessive but maybe not if you are participating in a game management program. The thought of being a year out seems like forever but it will be here before you know it. Load development and range time, training, etc. a year out is good. Also bringing a second scope already zeroed is a great idea!
The animals you are going after will be trophies regardless of their size.
Definitely will be an amazing trip/hunt.

JD338

Noslers Rock

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:12 am 

Ya, he said to bring 80 rounds, and that he'd have loading dies in camp in case we needed more ammo. I was kind of surprised, but okay, I'll bring 80 rounds of ammo. (y)

Guy

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: South Africa Hunt Booked. :)
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:19 am 

Nice. Maybe you can work up a load with the E-Tip that has the same POI as the PT so you can use both for a bullet study on game. Where at in S. Africa are you going Guy?

JD338

Noslers Rock

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:05 am 

He hunts both the North Cape, west of Kimberley, and the Eastern Cape.

Friends of mine have hunted with him in the past, and some have ended up hunting both places - taking about a day to travel from one to the other. At this point... Who knows?

Except I really would like to hunt gemsbok, and they're native to the drier North Cape, near Namibia.

Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:46 am 

My father in law has been twice and all he used was an 06 with 180s both trips. Not sure exactly where he went but had things from duiker to eland. Not sure what bullet he used but am fairly sure it was a partition or Barnes. He doesn’t hand load. Have fun

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:59 pm 

Awesome Guy, hope you have a blast. South Africa is on my bucket list too........

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:21 pm 

Congratulations on Booking guy... Knowing someone who has hunted with this oufitter berfore is a big plus. It sounds like an awesome opportunity and I am very pleased to hear that you have booked the hunt. Think of the ladies on the Titanic that refused dessert the last night before the disaster..
missed opportunity. I hope that you have many more memorable and successful hunts on the horizon. Best, Rol

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:29 pm 

My uncle and cousin did a SA plains game hunt about 15 years ago. They had a good time with it. Have fun, and I look forward to your report.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:07 pm 

Well that is exciting! So cool that you have that opportunity. Lots of time to plan.... CL

Offline Profile  
 Post subject: Re: South Africa Hunt Booked. [emoji3]
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 9:05 pm 

Outstanding, way to go Guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:59 am 

How does it work? Is it some kind of a ranch? I really have no idea. I’ve always wanted to go though.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:01 am 

gbflyer wrote:
How does it work? Is it some kind of a ranch? I really have no idea. I’ve always wanted to go though.

In a bit over a year, I should have a LOT more answers. :grin:

Ya, most of South Africa and Namibia is big ranches. There are some "interesting" folks over there who have small chunks of property, and will buy whatever big game they think will sell... And entice American & European hunters into something that isn't much of a hunt.

I'm avoiding that.

However, I've been told that some of the land we'll hunt, in the "North Cape" is part of the Kalahari Desert, and is still wild. Other places we'll hunt are vast properties where we may not even see a fence.

Others with actual experience are More Than Welcome to chime in. 'Cause I only know what I've read and what I've been told. Haven't been there yet myself. :grin:

There is a daily rate, and in addition to that there are trophy fees. Some animals are much more expensive to hunt than others. Fortunately I seem to have beer tastes to go along with my beer budget. No champagne animals for me!

Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:27 pm 

Guy I'm happy for you and looking forward to the pictures and stories as well on how the bullet of choice performed. Dan.

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:42 pm 

wvbuckbuster wrote:
Guy I'm happy for you and looking forward to the pictures and stories as well on how the bullet of choice performed. Dan.

Thanks! I'm really hoping that we get to cull some herds, so I can do more shooting and see how the bullets perform.

If not? Hey, I'll have finally made it to Africa! Considering taking a few extra days at the end of the hunt to tour some of the amazing National Parks they have - get a chance to photograph elephants, rhino, cape buff... Stuff I can't afford to shoot.

Well, maybe someday I can afford a Cape Buffalo hunt. Now THAT would provide purpose for my 375 H&H Model 70! :grin:

Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:33 pm 

Guy, I am so happy for you Congratulations, Enjoy

You obvious found a way to handle your circulation concern and that is a good thing. As the years added up I have also had that concern.

The animals you mentioned can all be handled very nicely with your 30-06, although I would probably opt for 180 gr bullet. The 375 off course will also work.

If you get to help "cull", that will be a plus. If time permits, visit Victoria Falls and stay one night in the hotel overlooking the falls, and watch the animals at sundown. Cape Town if possible, plus table mountain and the point. If you are able also visit northern Namibia

If Cape Buffalo so important to you, I will bet they will give you a sweet deal when you go as they will be needing the cash and maybe even need to reduce those herds as well.

We went several times and enjoyed every trip. You will love it

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:37 am 

Guy it sounds like you have gotten a chance for your second hunt of a life time and I'm envious.
Congratulations and I know you will take plenty of pictures to share with us.

April ,
So happy to see you posting and glad you found a safe place to lay up while the virus was raging in Spain.
Have you heard from the other Ladies?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:53 am 

rodger, I have spoken to Cheyenne, and Aleena. Emailed Randi, but have not heard from Jamilia in quit some time.

guy, also sample as many different game animals at possible at the dinner table white there.

Is your wife and/or son going with you ?

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:11 am 

Thanks all!

Really looking forward to it. But... It's a year away. :grin:

Meanwhile, bear season here opens August 1st. September is archery elk. October is deer & antelope in Wyoming and deer here in Washington. November I usually start doing more bird hunting. December my son has a late "second deer" tag. :grin:

Lots to do between now and next year. (y)

Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:18 pm 

Guy, I’m sure you will absolutely love it. It’s now been 8 years since I made my trip there and I’ve been chomping at the bit to get back ever since. Being a photographer you’ll come home with 10 times the trophies I did. That was my one regret, that I didn’t take a better camera with me. Just don’t wear that ‘06 out getting ready for it:)

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:04 pm 

lefty315 wrote:
Guy, I’m sure you will absolutely love it. It’s now been 8 years since I made my trip there and I’ve been chomping at the bit to get back ever since. Being a photographer you’ll come home with 10 times the trophies I did. That was my one regret, that I didn’t take a better camera with me. Just don’t wear that ‘06 out getting ready for it:)

Thank you old friend. I think he's got several openings left to fill the hunt I booked. :)

Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:28 am 

CONGRATULATIONS

Weatherby...There is no replacement for displacement!

My blog. Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:51 am 

Discussions with the PH continue - lightly - it's a year out and the details don't have to be hammered out yet. Besides, he's been in business a long time and knows what he's doing.

To my delight, he thinks that he can get me on a couple of gemsbok! (y)

From the PH:
Kudu
Gemsbuck x2
Blue wildebeest
Impala
Springbuck
Bushbuck/ mountain special

So some big, some smaller animals. Should be a nice mixed hunt.

Obviously we won't know until we're hunting, but I like that he knows what I want and is happy to work towards that goal.

I believe that we will likely hunt both the Northern Cape and the Eastern Cape, and I hope to take a day or two to photograph some of the wildlife at Kruger National Park, home to elephant & more!

Oh, I was also happy to check the usual weather for July in South Africa. Cool and dry. Excellent!

Guy

Offline Profile  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:47 am 

Rifle choice is narrowing down. I don't think that the 30-06 Rem 700 is going to make the cut.

Have a strong yen to make this a single-shot hunt.

375 H&H Ruger Number One, 1.5-5x Leupold, 260 gr Nosler Accubond loaded to about 2650 fps.

And if I take a second rifle:

7mm Rem Mag Ruger Number One, 3.5-10x Leupold, 160 gr Nosler Partition loaded to about 3,000 fps.

If I end up taking both rifles, I'll probably bring 30 cartridges for the 375 and 50 for the 7mm. I've been told that I'm limited to 80 cartridges total, so that seems like a good mix.

I won't be surprised though if I just take the 375, after all, I do enjoy shooting it an awful lot. :)

And of course a spare scope in rings for the Number One, already zeroed for the 375 too.

As I've been practicing, I'm coming around more and more to the idea of just taking one rifle, the 375 Number One. I like it, it likes me. We're good. PH is a big fan of the 375 and is fine with a single shot for plains game.

Thinking that I'll do all my hunting this season here in Washington, and in Wyoming, with those single shot Rugers as well.

I picked up a nice used 3.5-10x Leupold for the 7mm Rem Mag earlier this week. It seems to be quite an improvement over the 1974 vintage 3-9x Leupold I did have on that rifle.

Regards, Guy

Offline Profile  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Moderators: NoslerV, Nosler4, JD338, NOSLER, FOTIS Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next