.25 cal 110 Accubond

Code4

Beginner
Mar 16, 2011
How long is this projectile ? I was wondering if it will stabilse in my 1 in 10" twist .250-3000 ?

It stabilizes well in my 1 in 10" .257 Roberts. You shouldn't have any problems.

I'm really having some trouble finding a recipe to make this bullet work in my rifle. I have no doubt the bullet is good and will perform well, but up to now I've seen nothing in any results achieved with the sparkle I'd been expecting.
Scotty has been invaluable giving me some help here and I'm grateful to him.

Yes, there have been some teasing results, but each time I test a load, I seem to get one round 'Thrown'.
So I may put two rounds together very close, occasionally even touching holes, but then a third round will squirt off maybe 1 1/4" away.

Accepting on the odd occasion this might be pilot error, I've repeated the loads and not seen an improvement.
I've tried, IMR4350, H4350, Rel.22, Vit.N160 and currently I'm on IMR4831.
Testing various OAL's, I have concluded my barrel likes these bullets very close to the lands.
If I can get to a recipe providing .5" 'ish groups consistently, I'll be pleased with that and settle. At the moment, I'm some way off that goal.

I notice with 51gns of IMR4831 while I have seen .800'ish groups including the 'Thrown' round, there's also some slight 'Sooting' up into the shoulder of the spent cartridge.
Now, I know this is not due to underloading the round, but I'm thinking perhaps the IMR4831 may be a tad too slow??
Cheers, a confused ET :?

I am sorry you are having such a rough go with them. I know sometimes they can be a little fussy about where they wanna shoot. You are really giving it a good run though, that is for sure. I am not sure I would have stuck with them for this long ET.

Let me know if there is anything more I can help you with.

I can't imagine that IMR4831 is too slow for most .25 calibre. If you have good standard deviations, I would be inclined to look at adjusting overall length of the cartridge, especially if the magazine permits such adjusting. Moreover, I would not be reticent about seating the bullet deeper into the powder column if required to move in that direction.

I'm on it Dr M, and appreciate what you say. I still have very many permutations I haven't yet got to and really expect I'll get there in the end. I'm just having a difficult time finding the right recipe.
Just goes to show, we don't all drop on the sweet spot easily all the time!

I was curious about the slight sooting on the neck into the shoulder area...an occurence I'd normally associate with either a) underloading (Not in this instance) or b) propellant a tad too slow (Just wondered about this but didn't really think that would be right)
It's not excessive, but is noticeable as none of the other propellants produced any shoulder sooting, and only slightly on the case neck.

My rifle doesn't have a magazine, it's a single shot firearm. (Blaser K95)
Cheers, ET

Depending on the brass, it may lack malleability. I recently had several lots of brass from one manufacturer that was brittle and sooted with each shot.

Thanks Dr M, I'll look into it & try different brass.
Last used was Remington.. I have some Federal, so I'll see what that does next time out.
Cheers, ET

It was Remington that gave me fits on several lots of brass this past year.

Well, I will watch this with a great deal of interest. Since you are loading for THE caliber. I assumed that the 110 was a little to long for the 250 case. I have had good luck with IMR 4064 and 100 Grain BT's maybe it would work for 110's? Let us know how it goes. CL

ElmerThud":3bs162l7 said:
I'm really having some trouble finding a recipe to make this bullet work in my rifle. I have no doubt the bullet is good and will perform well, but up to now I've seen nothing in any results achieved with the sparkle I'd been expecting.
Scotty has been invaluable giving me some help here and I'm grateful to him.

Yes, there have been some teasing results, but each time I test a load, I seem to get one round 'Thrown'.
So I may put two rounds together very close, occasionally even touching holes, but then a third round will squirt off maybe 1 1/4" away.

Accepting on the odd occasion this might be pilot error, I've repeated the loads and not seen an improvement.
I've tried, IMR4350, H4350, Rel.22, Vit.N160 and currently I'm on IMR4831.
Testing various OAL's, I have concluded my barrel likes these bullets very close to the lands.
If I can get to a recipe providing .5" 'ish groups consistently, I'll be pleased with that and settle. At the moment, I'm some way off that goal.

I notice with 51gns of IMR4831 while I have seen .800'ish groups including the 'Thrown' round, there's also some slight 'Sooting' up into the shoulder of the spent cartridge.
Now, I know this is not due to underloading the round, but I'm thinking perhaps the IMR4831 may be a tad too slow??
Cheers, a confused ET :?

Elmer, your load sounds as though you are loading a .25-06? I am too lazy to spend an hour going back over all of your posts to find out and you did not say. I am working with this bullet now in a .257 Roberts (1:10 twist) and it looks as though it will shoot just fine if I can iron the bedding wrinkles out on my older rifle stock. If it will shoot in a .257 Bob, it should certainly stabilise in a .25-06.

Actually, my favorite powder for the .25-06 was IMR 7828 SSC (55.0 grains) for the 120 gr bullet which is somewhat slower than 4831.

You're right OldTrader, I did not mention the calibre/cartridge. It is indeed .25-06Rem.
What I'm looking for is the recipe that sparkles & I just haven't dropped on it yet.

At present everything I tried has produced at best inconsistent load to load variations, despite my attention to every detail of brass prep. and loading.
Certainly I have obtained results as good as .3" MOA, but the next time the load was tried, I could not get inside a 1/2" MOA group...however, this has taken a long time to get where I've got due to lack of availability of the bullets in the UK.
There are more now at the dealer waiting for me to pick up, so I'll move on soon.
Cheers, ET

I think you'll find something quick enough. Do you have anything slower than 4831? Maybe something in the RL25, Magpro, Retumbo realm? Just wondering, that bullet have a good amount of bearing surface, maybe it would show some positive results? Just thinking outloud..

Elmer, try IMR 7828 SSC it was the most accurate and highest velocity powder that I had tried for both 115 gr and 120 grain bullets. I used 52 grains of IMR 4350 (max load) for 100 gr Partitions and it worked well also. My rifles were very accurate with stiff loads. My .25-06's did not shoot well until the loads were close to max.

I have found 25-06's to be a bit particular, fussy and with sticky pressures in loading for.

Hi guys, I haven't yet tried IMR7828SSC...hasn't until now really figured much in the radar!
I also use 52gns of both IMR4350 & H4350 with 100gn Sierra bullets and they really produce nice groups and I have great confidence in them.
However, I like the look & co-eff of the 110AB for flatter trajectory and better downrange performance on long shots.
Not that the Sierra hasn't done whats been asked, it's just more 'Iffy' if I need to exceed 300yds on quarry and would not do very well with a Red Stag to knock over at that range.

Scotty, the only propellant I have slower than IMR4831 is Rel.22
I have data, but I'm interested to know what QL might make of exceeding 51 gns of IMR4831...where doing so might take me? Into a dangerous area? - I know depends on how far I push, but I have absolutely no pressure signs at 51.4gns IMR4831.

I'm getting best results at present with COL @ 3.395" that's .002" off the lands.
Cheers, ET

The 257 110 gr AB is about the same length as the 257 115 gr BT. It will stabilize just fine in a 1:10 twist but it needs to be driven faster than the velocity generated by the 250-3000.
I push the 110 gr AB at 2974 fps from a 257 Roberts and it shoots very well.

JD338

Well now guys, here's what I've come up with that's now looking like working, so I think I'm 'Getting there'. Repeating it is what matters. I shall try to get to the range next weekend to chrono it & then will have to let it rest there for a month or two while other things get in the way.

The pic shows 7 rounds fired @ 100yds. - a first group of four shots, then a second group of 3 shots, allowing the barrel to cool between the groups.

The load is as follows:
The cases are Remington, all trimmed to 2.484", they have the flash hole deburred and I weighed them to keep them as consistent as possible. The weights are near as dammit what I gave to you originally...filled with water: 263.32gns. & Empty 195.7gns.
The difference is 67.62gns.
The cases are neck sized .180"...but you have to remember, my rifle is a single shot weapon and there is no magazine. So, I can get away with low neck tension & don't have to concern myself with the 'bullet moving under recoil' conditions.

Primer: CCI 200., Propellant: IMR4831 x 51gns., Bullet: .257 Nosler 110gn AccuBond.
OAL: 3.403", The Ogive measurement using my 'Stoney Point' comparator is: 2.873".
This OAL has the bullet .001" off the lands in my barrel.
You have to be careful here, because I checked using two different Stoney comparators and they each gave different measurements. I checked the vernier/micrometers using a known standard dimension and they (The verniers) read the same. So there is a manufacturing tolerance on these comparators. It doesn't matter of course, as long as you use THE SAME comparator every time!

When fired, there is only very slight flattening of the primer and no other sign of extreme pressure present.
I tried seating the bullet deep from the outset last year and just couldn't find a 'Happy place' although, the best results of those tests came with the Lyman book listing at 3.155" OAL.

The impact point on target is somewhat lower than my 100gn bullet and is printing 3" lower. I think this is the difference of a better in flight characteristic than the Sierra, the additional 10gn bullet weight and the velocity change. It's not chrono'd yet, nor zero'd on my rifle, - but it will be, and provided the speed is where I expect it around MV 3120 fps - I'll be happy to make the change.

While I'd prefer not to have that flyer on the cold tube, I can zero for it. Maybe I can tweak it out with small adjustments in propellant charge??

By the way, a quick note... I'm sure most of you know it, but this load is for my rifle only!
Please proceed with due caution when you work up your own loads & use the above info with care.
Cheers, ET

Attachments

• IMR4831x51Gns. CCI200. OAL 2.873ins..jpg
    484.6 KB · Views: 10,766
You seem very close right now. Even with your flyers on a 7 shot group your still looking to just be over an inch. I hope you are getting some decent speed out of it, as that should make a heckuva good stag bullet for you. I am looking forward to seeing your end result. I happen to have a 25-06 that needs a little load work!

Not bad. Whilst none of us enjoy the POI impact shift on the first shot, we live with it and adjust for it. Excluding that one shot, allowing that it will be different, you have an enviable load and an excellent target to demonstrate both the load and your own ability. Bravo!

Thanks DrMike. I've enjoyed some good encouragement from you guys and now once chrono'd I can look at some fine adjustment.
I'm hoping the MV will be 3120 & perhaps a touch more...we'll see, hopefully next Saturday/Sunday.

But I'm pleased with where I got to and when I get hunting with this bullet, hoping for some good results when the going gets extreme!

It will be interesting what happens with this load when we get to winter temperatures here in the UK.
Cheers, ET

Back