Different die types

bob3663

Beginner
Jan 7, 2018
I see there are a million different types of dies. Collet dies, fl dies and so on. I have full length dies from rcbs. I recently got a 6.5 creedmoor and want to make some very accurate loads for it. What is the best type of die? Thanks.

Bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The term "best" is defined by the purpose you envision for the ammunition. You can make excellent ammunition with about any die. The real issue is whether you are willing to take time and care to set up properly and ensure consistency in all your steps. In light of your question, I wonder how much experience you bring to hand loading. There are numerous steps you can take, but really, when all is said and done, your consistency at each step will be the primary determinant in producing accurate ammunition. Each die type has strengths that are worthy of consideration.

I have reloaded off and on for about 10 years. I want to make the most consistent ammo I can. I picked up a worlds finest trimmer to get better repeatability. I weight every charge to the .1 grain. That’s all the closer my scale goes. I tumble after all sizing and trimming is done. Then sonic clean again to get primer pockets. I want to get into prs matches and want to make my own ammo for it. I have a bergara HMR and it is a very nice rifle capable of some seriously right groups for a production rifle. I just want to take it to the next step. All I’ve ever used for dies is rcbs full length sizing dies and seaters. 50-70 for a set. I’ve seen people talk about bushing dies but for the life of me I don’t understand them. I’ve seen neck size dies and understand those, but not sure they are for me. I do want to get a set of micrometer seater dies. I work in aerospace CNC machining, so attention to detail is nothing for me. I work with +\- .0001 all day.

bob3663":e7kmg2ed said:
I’ve seen people talk about bushing dies but for the life of me I don’t understand them.

In "regular" dies the expander ball passes through the neck, the cartridge is resized and when withdrawn from the die the expander ball is pulled through the neck to expand it to the correct size.

In collet dies a mandrel (a precisely machined rod) of the correct size is in the neck when the cartridge is resized and the neck is compressed against this mandrel to squeeze the neck to the correct size.

Some say that collet dies reduce/eliminate the need to turn the necks as it's more precise and gives better concentricity.

You're clearly set to produce some accurate ammunition. You won't see a great deal of difference in accuracy when you're weighing to +/- 0.1 grains. The bushing dies can produce a consistent neck tension that ensures a higher measure of reproducibility of engraving into the lands. Again, setting up FL dies with care can achieve the same result. Many people like collet dies because they avoid overworking the brass. Again, using either neck sizer dies or setting FL dies to avoid excessively setting the shoulder back can be helpful in obtaining reproducibility. I've produced some very fine ammunition over the years for some very fine custom rifles. With a good rifle, I've shot numerous groups that measured enviable groups. Most of that was accomplished with FL dies. It is not that I do not have or use the other dies, it is just that care and attention do go a long way toward producing excellent ammunition.

The Bergara sure has some fine reviews, both from owners and from professional reviews. If you get a chance, give us a picture and let us see your rifle. There are a lot of aficionados around here who would love to see what you are shooting.

Should I bump the shoulder back each time or not? How should I set a baseline to know when to bump it back? I’ll snap a pic tonight of the berg when I get home from work.

Set your die to set back the shoulder ~0.002 inch and leave it. Then, each time you size, it will size to that point and quit. That is unlikely to cam over when you size and it will bump back the shoulder if necessary.

Back